Scamp 13: wide bed vs narrow bed choice. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Scamp 13: wide bed vs narrow bed choice.

I am getting a new Scamp 13 in January, the standard build with sofa/bunk beds in front, and I am wondering if I would be happier with the wide bed or the narrow bed in back. I think that when you get the narrow bed, the back is a bit simpler (fewer panels under the bed), but the table is actually a bit larger (surprisingly). Mostly I would just leave the back as a day bed during the day anyway, and it would be for just one person to sleep on at night. Having a wide bed is kind of nice, I think, in the since that you can push stuff aside during the day (to the area under the back window) (like blankets and pillows) and still have lots of room to lie down, but a narrow bed might mean more space elsewhere (around the sink and in the closet, I guess?). I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on what you gain and lose with each choice. Thanks a lot! -Zack
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd personally get the small bed. I like the roomier galley and larger closet, as well as more open floor space for dressing, cooking and moving about. The small bed is more than roomy enough for one.

Actually, I might even take it a step further and convert the front bench into a permanent single bed- sans upper bunk- and convert the rear dinette into a U-shape for day use with a smaller table. I sleep regularly on the lower bunk and it's snug but comfortable for me.

Just my preferences... It does depend on how you are planning to use the trailer. We have the small bed layout and make it work for four.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Zack,

While I respect Jon's opinion immensely, I can provide a bit of a counterpoint.

If at all possible, I would see if Scamp can provide the names of owners in your area with both sizes of beds and see if you can ask the owners opinions and respectfully and carefully try actually laying on them.

My sister (& BIL) had a Scamp16 Standard with the 44" bed and my wife and I had the Scamp 13 with the larger 54" bed. My sister thought that the 44" bed was "pretty snug" and liked our 54" bed a little better. They eventually got an Escape 17B with a larger bed.

Many folks have made the 44" bed work for years and, like Jon, may even prefer it. Jon is absolutely right that the space for the extra 10" of bed has to come from somewhere and the 22" wide closet becomes a 12" wide "pantry".

With either bed, remember that the curved back wall of the trailer means that the person in back won't get their full half of the stated width.

Many people don't like the "crawl over" attribute of either bed ... especially in the middle of the night. If either party snores at all, becomes ill, or needs to get up frequently at night, the extra 10" of bed width becomes a little more appreciated.

My wife and I sleep in a larger bed at home (king, although a queen size would be plenty), but we've often slept in a double (54") on our infrequent trips overseas.

Perhaps because we are no longer young and slender newlyweds, we like the 54" bed. However, it really depends on what YOU like! [emoji6]

Best of luck on your decision(s)!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
... it would be for just one person to sleep on at night...
Ray, if I understood the OP correctly, this is for a solo traveler. That makes a big difference in my mind.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Oops!
Missed that.
As long as one doesn't become two after a while, I agree ... 44" is probably fine!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
As long as one doesn't become two after a while...
Hmmm... Watch out! Scamp ownership might be just the ticket to attracting a mate...

I will say, as "one that became two" rather later than usual in life, the Scamp made a camper out of my wife, who did not grow up camping as I did. Bought it after a couple of failed attempts at tenting and she declares it very comfortable. But she wants the small dinette bed to herself. Whatever it takes!
Old 09-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
my wife and I have the 44" bed I sleep on it. we took the bunks down and have a table down over the troll hole. My wife uses the front lower bunk, it ends up more room for her than sharing the 44. we would rather have the larger closet and the front kitchen area. chopping that off is a big loss for such a little space.
if the couple is skinny or has to have the bigger bed your still not gaining enough if you move about at night. climbing over your mate at night has its perks so don't run from it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
As a single traveler in my 13' I just (last night) removed the upper bunk so that I could turn the couch into my permanent bed/couch by day. I was all ready to set up the dinette and makeup the bed when I realized that I was going to lose all the storage under the bed/dinette set up. It's mostly shoes and miscellaneous stuff that doesn't really fit in the closet so now I'm rethinking.
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
As a single traveler in my 13' I just (last night) removed the upper bunk so that I could turn the couch into my permanent bed/couch by day. I was all ready to set up the dinette and makeup the bed when I realized that I was going to lose all the storage under the bed/dinette set up. It's mostly shoes and miscellaneous stuff that doesn't really fit in the closet so now I'm rethinking.
get a van for your tug and closet you will cherish your 13 foot scamp much more if its uncluttered and set up the way you want. our previous owner cut out the troll hole in the front bunk and made a table there that drops down to complete the front bed. easy up and easy down. we leave the rear table down permanently. that table is too heavy and awkward to put up and down anyway. and the storage space is perfect for my small BBQ and his and her duffel bags for clothes and what nots. Keep the trailer pretty empty for the dog to spread out and be the new trip hazard. with the front table down the porta potty still fits for traveling. but it is always packing the 13th sardine in the 12 sardine can.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #10

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
There have been a lot of discussions about 44" vs. 54" beds and a lot of people telling you what YOU need. We like the smaller bed. We like to sleep right next to each other. My husband usually takes the outside because he gets up at night, but if I happen to be on the outside he crawls over me. It's what you want that counts. Neither of us are big (well, he's tall) and I sleep better in the trailer than I do at home.
Karin
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
California
Good morning Zack.

We have a 2013 Scamp with the larger "full size" bed and we have these pros and cons on it.

Pro:
1) Its bigger, so at 6'1" it helps me avoid those horrible curved corners
2) After market bedding for a full size bed fits "okay"
3) Longer under bed storage
4) There seems to be a slight bump in resale value for the larger bed.

Cons:
1) Smaller storage
2) Storage bulkhead next to the door, not well utilized by Scamp (ours has only 2 small doors with lots of void/unusable space up and down).

Mods:

1) We remade our table/bed into a split daybed/Dinette combo with a Lagun arm. And while it is a LOT of work, its increased functionality has essentially allowed us to keep the Scamp for another year or two.

2) We plan to add drawers into the un usable voids in the bulkhead storage next to the door. This will be a lot of work with no viable off-the-shelf (cheap) solution.
Berthaduniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Older Scamps we don't have to worry. Only one size bed. Pretty darn small. Solo I would give a lot of consideration to remove upper bunk, sleep on front. Have rear bed always available for seating and table.

Wife is petite. I'm 6'1" and 250# so opposite end. The two of us can sleep in the smaller pre fire bed, with a 43# dog. Two dogs was a bit crowded but still tolerable. As much an issue of heat as room.

Two people that don't cuddle. Brother in law refuses to shave his back, I refuse to spoon. When we have gone on trips out west together the front bunks with top removed is one bed, the back bed is sleeping and a couple of duffle bags. I fit on the front bunk. it is "snug" but entirely serviceable.

If you go from solo traveler to a couple in a camper I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest for at least the first couple of years or if you are lucky decades a snug bed size will NOT be an issue.

I would certainly enjoy a bed larger by 10" but can't see where the rest of a 13 foot has to give up that 10" of space from without pain.

If you can find a rally still happening try and attend a rally where you can see the difference first hand. In these times of social distancing and park closures fewer rallies are being held and the "open house" time when we all wander around checking out each others campers has been removed from agendas but I would think you may find someone willing to have a single person in a mask check out their model of Scamp. Or just post that you are looking to see one in your area and would appreciate a PM if someone is willing to let you see theirs.

Sleep is in the end the most important feature provided by your camper. Not going to have fun if you can't get s decent nights sleep.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My wraparound couch design allows for the option of a full 30" bunk sized bed while still leaving a two person dinette in place ...
Also it nearly doubles the effective storage space in my Scamp13D
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 017.jpg   Pic010.JPG  

scamp pictures 015.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #14
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
larger or smaller bed

I like the advantages of the smaller bed for me, but I got the larger bed because I thought that would increase resale value. It was a difficult decision because for me, I would like the increased closet space and extra 10 inches. I was not able to go inside the 13 foot because I am in MA. I’ll find out how it is when I go pick it up. I’m sure it’s not a decision you can go back and change. I’m finding that once production begins, what you initially ordered is what you will get.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp