Rubber molding for Bigfoot windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: shopping
Washington
Rubber molding for Bigfoot windows

So I bought a 1984 Bigfoot. The first thing I want to do is go through and make sure nothing leaks. A few of the windows look like this:

What is the best approach? I'm considering completely pulling the windows and resealing everything. How hard is that? Anyone know where to find good instructions?

Second, in the picture you'll see the seal is coming out from the corner it is supposed to be seated in. Can you get new seals anywhere? Can I re-condition these? If I re-seat them properly and leave any gap at the bottom edge, is that good enough to ensure a proper seal?

Thanks!
ostojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You can Google a number of RV site "how to" videos which will tell you how to remove and reinstall windows with an interior clamp ring such as Hehr and Kinro. Listen closely when butyl putty is mentioned as the most desirable gasket. The rubber jumping out of your frame at the radius is glazing bead made by Hehr. You can pull it out and refit to radius but shrinkage means that butts, mitres or coped corners will not meet. It's not cheap (mayybe buck eighty a foot) and there are several different sizes. Any distributor can determine what you need if you send them a sample of yours. Until you feel you have a good handle of the whole process, don't throw the glazing bead out. If it's short of butting in a corner, you can stuff a bit of butyl putty in the void or even cut a filler piece out of a piece you've saved.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The following is from my thread "Rebedding Burro Windows."

Rebedding Burro back window
Pictures of rebedding back window. This is a pretty easy job in the rv site how-to videos; devil, as usual, is in the details. This window was leaking about two cups of water from the upper right in a heavy rain. Cushions, memory foam and bed linen on the rear decks removed since the rally in Williamsport PA in early July. After removing the clamp ring inside, I had to insert a 1" putty knife all around the flange to break it free. Saw why when I got it out: not only a layer of putty tape but also a second layer of butyl at the top applied right over the original putty tape. Also a heavy bead of very hard linseed oil-caulk thrown in there where it did absolutely nothing except make removal and cleanup harder.

I didn't take the pix until the bedding flange was all cleaned up. I should have taken more pix but thunderstorms on the way and I wanted to finish. A couple of hints to those who like myself, haven't done this, but will in future.

1) Bestine is a very good solvent for final cleanup of mating surfaces of trailer and window flange after the bulk of putty/other goo has been scraped offl

2) When you apply the Butyl (and ONLY Butyl) tape to the window flange, remove the paper separator as you go (and particularly rounding corners) to get it accurately aligned. I know fingers stick to it but not if you wet them in a bowl of water as you go. Yeh, you guessed it; I just licked mine.

3) The channel in the window frame extrusion which catches the sheet metal screws thru the interior clamp ring is narrow and soft. It is easy to cock the direction of the screw and completely miss the channel. I could see that this had happened in three locations while the window was out. The channel was deformed and pinched together in two locations and I pried these areas open. Every location where a screw doesn't grab is a place where compression on the Butyl gasket is reduced.

4) Do not use screws longer than the original but don't be afraid to move up one size (say #10 for #8) if the 8s don't catch.

5) Wet the mating surface of the trailer before placing window in the opening. If you have some slack, the butyl will not stick and you have some time to get it precisely where you want it with even bearing all round. (Pix indicate that the rough opening was a bit irregular and the area of bearing scant right where I had the leak (upper right). I'd like to attribute this to those fine old Escondido paesan (farmer) working methods so I will. This points up that "humoring" the window frame up a bit so that bearing at top was maximized was the way to go in this case.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The following is from my thread "Rebedding Burro Windows."

Rebedding Burro back window
Pictures of rebedding back window. This is a pretty easy job in the rv site how-to videos; devil, as usual, is in the details. This window was leaking about two cups of water from the upper right in a heavy rain. Cushions, memory foam and bed linen on the rear decks removed since the rally in Williamsport PA in early July. After removing the clamp ring inside, I had to insert a 1" putty knife all around the flange to break it free. Saw why when I got it out: not only a layer of putty tape but also a second layer of butyl at the top applied right over the original putty tape. Also a heavy bead of very hard linseed oil-caulk thrown in there where it did absolutely nothing except make removal and cleanup harder.

I didn't take the pix until the bedding flange was all cleaned up. I should have taken more pix but thunderstorms on the way and I wanted to finish. A couple of hints to those who like myself, haven't done this, but will in future.

1) Bestine is a very good solvent for final cleanup of mating surfaces of trailer and window flange after the bulk of putty/other goo has been scraped offl

2) When you apply the Butyl (and ONLY Butyl) tape to the window flange, remove the paper separator as you go (and particularly rounding corners) to get it accurately aligned. I know fingers stick to it but not if you wet them in a bowl of water as you go. Yeh, you guessed it; I just licked mine.

3) The channel in the window frame extrusion which catches the sheet metal screws thru the interior clamp ring is narrow and soft. It is easy to cock the direction of the screw and completely miss the channel. I could see that this had happened in three locations while the window was out. The channel was deformed and pinched together in two locations and I pried these areas open. Every location where a screw doesn't grab is a place where compression on the Butyl gasket is reduced.

4) Do not use screws longer than the original but don't be afraid to move up one size (say #10 for #8) if the 8s don't catch.

5) Wet the mating surface of the trailer before placing window in the opening. If you have some slack, the butyl will not stick and you have some time to get it precisely where you want it with even bearing all round. (Pix indicate that the rough opening was a bit irregular and the area of bearing scant right where I had the leak (upper right). I'd like to attribute this to those fine old Escondido paesan (farmer) working methods so I will. This points up that "humoring" the window frame up a bit so that bearing at top was maximized was the way to go in this case.

jack
Rabbit has some good points, wish I had read them before doing my Bigfoot.
I just finished pulling the windows out of a 1981 Bigfoot, and the windows look identical to to OP.
It helps to have two people to take out the old windows. It is a very easy process to remove: just take out the 1/2 inch x 8 sheet metal screws and pull out the window. It will be sticky as the butyl tape, even after 31 years in my trailer, is still soft.
Clean all around the inside and outside of the frames. This can take some time, using acetone or paint thinner with a putty knife.
The interior and exterior frames were cleaned using barkeepers friend and it came up very shiny. Clean all the channels inside the frame: an air compressor, or garden hose and a good cleaner will remove years of grime, and the windows will slide a lot better. (Before cleaning the channel, I found it very hard to slide the windows)
I used a product from the GM dealer to soften the rubber, called something like silicone restorer.
I replaced all the screens at this time, using .120 spline (very hard to find, but I used .095 weed trimmer twine in place of it.) Use a spline tool to put the spline in...very easy to do. I used 24 inch fiberglass screen.
For the rest of the windows, I will just use a very high grade sealant on top of the gaskets on the windows as two windows do not have drain holes in them.
As was mentioned by Rabbit, the butyl tape is an easy process, but I like the way he actually wet it, in order to move the actual window frame. You definitely need two people at this point, as the person inside has to line up the holes. Use 1/2 inch by number 8 sheet metal screws to put the frame and window back in place. I used all new screws to make it look better. There will be some screws that will miss the small area, so what I did, was to redrill a hole an inch or so away, and put in a new screw there. For the open hole, I will glue the head of the screw on the frame to fill the hole.
I had to replace some dry rot panels after taking out the windows and also ran some wiring for new LED lights once the dry rot panels were removed. You may find that the 1 inch syrofoam has loosened from the exterior of the trailer. I used Lepage foam adhesive, which gives you 15 minutes to work before it sets up and put this in place just before the windows were replaced. It is not a hard job, my first attempt at it, but be prepared to spend a far amount of time cleaning the frames.
After the windows are in place, you will find a lot of butyl tape sticking out. I used a putty knife which had an angle on it and tried not to score the gel gloss finish...very easy to do.
I will put a very high grade sealant on the edge of the frame and butyl caulking which really is not needed, but will prevent any leaks.
There are some pics on my signature which show the window installation.
Hope this helps.
Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
What are you going to pull the trailer with?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: shopping
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
What are you going to pull the trailer with?

Francesca
This is me here trying to figure out how to install my new hitch
ostojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostojo View Post

Rat own, Bubba!!!!!!!

Francesca

P.S.

My husband wants to meet you, but I'm afraid he's much too busy that day...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostojo View Post

OK, this may be adequate for a lightly loaded 13 footer, but only with brakes.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #9

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
I didn't notice how old this info was but I just wanted to thank you guys for posting such good info for others. We're about to get started taking the windows out of our 1985 Bigfoot and I sure do appreciate this detailed info. I'm sure I want won't to have to do this again anytime soon so I'm following your advise. Ordered the butyl tape already. Now to find some butyl caulking. While we're at it we're going to ALSO change out the plumbing vents etc. and put tape around those. Is that what you use on the roof when replacing the vents and stuff on the roof? Someone just smeared silicone or something around the vents on ours and it's 2" wide all the way around it. Will need to clean that mess off with something. ugh anyway thank you!!!!
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Even though this is an old thread, I can add some potentially useful information.

First, the OE supplier for Bigfoot windows is Sun-View Industries. If you need parts, they are usually very helpful.

RV Windows by Sun-View Industries

Second, removing and resealing the windows is pretty easy. Undo all the screws from the inside and remove the inner frame. Use a pry tool (I used a nylon trim removal tool) and work it under the outside frame to break the butyl tape seal and remove the outer frame. Thoroughly clean all the tape off both the frame and fiberglass, re-tape, and reinstall the frame. This is also a good time to check to make sure the weep holes in the outer frame are unobstructed.

Finally, the rubber on one of my frames had shrunk like that. I warmed it gently with a heat gun all around the gasket and slowly worked the rubber back into place. I'm sure over time it will shrink again, but so far, so good. No need to replace the rubber.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Even though this is an old thread, I can add some potentially useful information.

First, the OE supplier for Bigfoot windows is Sun-View Industries. If you need parts, they are usually very helpful.

RV Windows by Sun-View Industries

Second, removing and resealing the windows is pretty easy. Undo all the screws from the inside and remove the inner frame. Use a pry tool (I used a nylon trim removal tool) and work it under the outside frame to break the butyl tape seal and remove the outer frame. Thoroughly clean all the tape off both the frame and fiberglass, re-tape, and reinstall the frame. This is also a good time to check to make sure the weep holes in the outer frame are unobstructed.

Finally, the rubber on one of my frames had shrunk like that. I warmed it gently with a heat gun all around the gasket and slowly worked the rubber back into place. I'm sure over time it will shrink again, but so far, so good. No need to replace the rubber.

Oh that is AWESOME! I have 2 that I noticed that has shrunk to. GOOD info and I will try that! YEA because that stuff is HIGH! Praying it also works for ours!
I got the butyl tape ordered last night and also the plumbing things and their covers. Someone replaced those and just smeared some sort of chalking 2" wide all around those things! UGH you should see it. What a mess!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #12

Mississippi
Opps I'm SO sorry! I forgot to tell you THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Mississippi
What can we use on these to keep the soft and pliable so they won't shrink back again?
Old 08-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #14

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
I will put a very high grade sealant on the edge of the frame and butyl caulking which really is not needed, but will prevent any leaks.
There are some pics on my signature which show the window installation.
Hope this helps.
Jim
I realize it's been 10 years since this was posted, but was hoping to see Jim's album on the installation. Jim, if you're still here, the album has been set to private. Is there any chance you can make it public again?

Tags
bigfoot, windows