No power from battery in Bigfoot 25b25fb - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2022, 11:18 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
plan on using 1/0 for your battery main cables if you're getting a 1500 or 2000W inverter, at least for the cables connecting the two 12V batts in parallel, and connecting the batts to the inverter. My 2000W Renogy inverter draws about 180 amps when its running something like my wife's heavy duty hair dryer, and about 120 watts running an electric coffee maker.

also when you parallel two batteries, connect the load + wires to one batteries positive terminal, and the load - wires to the /other/ batteries negative terminal. this equalizes the current and wire resistance between the two batts. make sure the two bridging wires are exactly the same length. Try and find good quality pure copper made in USA welding wire, as a lot of the amazon made-in-china wire is copper coated aluminum and sub gauge. said pure copper heavy gauge wire is $$$. Mine is WindyNation Powerflex brand, which seems quite decent, you can find this on amazon too.
I did wire my inverter from the sold Escape using that same wire, though I think I used 2/0 wire for that install on an 1800 Watt Inverter. I actually opted for the non bluetooth and heated batteries because of the lower continuous output for inverter use. My new Bigfoot will have the batteries located internally and the insulation of the unit is outstanding I'm not worried worried about low temp damage. For winter storage Ill just by pass the batteries completely or remove them as they are relatively light. I always like your posts and information.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:12 PM   #22

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
those thermal breakers don't have pushbutton reset, they self reset. I believe they were referring to that large solenoid isolation switch on the upper left of the last picture.
Sorry, those breakers do have manual reset buttons on the side of them. You can clearly see the buttons sticking out the side.

Attachment is the very same pic shown above, I just added annotation to it. The master battery relay is extremely common, I had one like it on my Winnebago View motor home, and my 21ft Bigfoot has this same setup. That relay STAYS where it is powered to. Switch off, relay powers opens and stays there due to spring action, switch on, relay powers closed and stays there due to spring action, a "flip flop" relay.

The one you describe that connects chassis to house to charge house batteries is a simple powered closed, spring loaded open, and looks like this...........

Again, I had one exactly like this on my motor home. The two relays are quite different.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Battery relay and breakers annotated 25RQ Rotated right ninety degrees..jpg  

Tags
battery, bigfoot