Interior walls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Interior walls

Hello to the house,
We are looking for suggestions to redo and insulate the interior wall of our play pac. Suggestions and pics would be awesome.
Thanks so much,
Heather and Ernie
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Congratulations on your new PlayPac. I see you have had 45 views of this post but no answers as yet! So I guess I will be the first.

I don't have a Play Pac but I have seen where others have renovated them. I just did a google search for you and these two threads came up.

Take a look here and here

I would love to see your progress as I really like the PlayPac's and I think they would be pretty easy to renovate compared to the curved walls of a Boler or the like.

Keep us posted!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I saw in another thread someone used those foam puzzle piece tiles and glued them to the walls for insulation. They make them in colors or grey. I used them to line my bed area, partially for some bed base and partially to insulate the outer wall from the foam to prevent condensation from getting into the foam.

Like these
www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/TNT-Foam-Gym-Floor-Mats-Case-of-48
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks CliveAlive! There certainly are more options than I suspected.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
You can always get authentic Rat Fur from Scamp too.
I really liked it when I had one.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Panoz77, I saw that too, but I would like to paint it and that doesnt seem to paint well. I am looking into something called Lizardskin that another owner talked about!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
ED, I thought about the rat fur.....just not sure i want carpet on the walls.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #8

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
The foam tiles come in a multitude of colors. I think they would provide a great deal of insulation factor if that is your main concern, if you just want a wall covering then your options are far larger.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Registry
I am leaning towards the reflectix and then something over the top, maybe the lizardskin, since it can be painted.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbabyh View Post
ED, I thought about the rat fur.....just not sure i want carpet on the walls.
I understand but it is not really Carpet,it is a Marine Headliner material.
Having had both Scamp and Casita I prefer the Scamp Rat Fur to the Casita plain old carpet by far.

It is worth trying to see somewhere if you can?

All of the no wall covering units I have been in just don't feel as Cozy to me.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lizardskin will cost you about $1,000 and requires special spray equipment to apply. Oliver used it between the hulls and it is a VERY good, if expensive insulation. You wouldn't need the reflex however. Lizardskin IS the insulation.

Here's a link to the colorful foam tiles James mentioned: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-46674.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lizardskin will cost you about $1,000 and requires special spray equipment to apply. Oliver used it between the hulls and it is a VERY good, if expensive insulation. You wouldn't need the reflex however. Lizardskin IS the insulation.

Here's a link to the colorful foam tiles James mentioned: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-46674.html
Ouch, thats way more than I care to spend...
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I make a product clone of Lizardskin that coats WAY less than the "genuine article". I use it in cars as an accoustic/temperature insulation - highly effective!

AND - it applies with a roller or brush. very thick consistency, not difficult to apply, but physically tiring
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I make a product clone of Lizardskin that coats WAY less than the "genuine article". I use it in cars as an accoustic/temperature insulation - highly effective!

AND - it applies with a roller or brush. very thick consistency, not difficult to apply, but physically tiring

Please tell me more....maybe a link....and is it paintable?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #15

British Columbia
It actually is a form of a paint-on product. I have used it for cars where it will be covered by upholstery (inside doors, inside the roof, under the carpet) etc as well as inside the trunk. It is HIGHLY effective sound deadener and insulates against heat/cold as well - but lets face it - anything applied with a brush or roller is NOT going to result in huge (R20 sort of levels) amounts of heat insulation! It does, however, make a hotrod seem to be a very expensive car inside in terms of freedom from road noise and vibration and general quality of build as well as easing the load on heaters & A/C.

Several coats can be applied, each one increasing the insulation properties, and with about 3 coats, you should wind up with insulation values in the range of the ensolite used by many F/G trailer makers.

On edit: it seems that it is better heat insulation than I thought - a 3 coat application on a car floor is getting into the heat insulation range of the 1/2 inch felt insulation used as carpet underlay in many cars. This stuff is even better than I thought - and I've been using it for 5 years!

I developed it for my own use, but several of my friends asked me to make up batches for them as well. They have been very happy with it, too. I actually didn't think of doing it commercially, but maybe I should look into it. (I'd have to come up with a name for the stuff!)

I haven't had to make any up for a while, so I'd have to check into my costs of materials before I go any further, but I seem to remember that it came in at about $35.00- $40.00 per gallon (my costs) a year or so ago, vs $160.00 - $200.00 per gallon range for "the genuine article".

AND yes, it is paintable
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #16

Name: Archie
Trailer: I think it's a boler. Pending overhaul.
Texas
Call it: "BCDave's Fiberglass Hide" I think you could do well with the product. There are a lot of folks on here looking for wall covering. I would be interested.
Archie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
Sounds to me it could be quit profittable!! lol
So could this be applied over insulation like the foam mats?
I am looking to insulate from heat and cold, plus I am wanting a smooth paintable surface.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #18

British Columbia
I do not think that there are many paint-apply products that could be applied over something like the foam rubber mats. When something presses against the mat, it will flex. If the mat flexes more than the paint, the mat will separate from the paint, causing the paint to crack and come loose, eventually coming right off.

This stuff is a paintable ceramic coating (hence its insulation qualities) and applies somewhat like a VERY thick paint. It can be sprayed, but you don not use a "normal" spray gun - more like an undercoating shutz gun.

I would see it more usable as being painted onto the fiberglass shell itself to provide the toughness of the rigid backing with a sound and thermal insulating barrier on the inside. Then paint over it, or wall paper over it, or......

It will not weigh much, will not be overly thick ("thick" takes up space!) and will be a lot less $$$$ than most anything else out there.

Until Donna mentioned Lizardskin earlier in this thread, I just never thought of it being useful for eggs - in my miniature mind it was compartmentalized as "car stuff".
Old 03-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
I saw the Lizardskin on another thread where someone had used it. That is where I got the idea. I still am scraping of the old vinyl, but i will share the info with my husband.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
So has anyone used Flex Seal? We are now considering not insulating and just applying something paintable. He thought of the Flex Seal commercial of the boat with the screen door bottom. lol
I have emailed the company to see if it is safe for interior use of this type and if there is an off gas issue. It is sprayable and paintable. Could be a very good possibilty!!
Opinion?
By the way I love you guys and gals!! My husband laughs his butt of as I tell him about my post and replies each day....Paul said this.....Donna said that.....etc. Its awesome knowledge and makes us less apprehensive making decisions that we are need to make.
Thanks to all!!

Tags
play–pac