Bike racks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, putting a pair of not-very-lightweight bikes on a heavy duty rack on the back of our E21 takes almost 100 lbs off the tongue weight, leaving it slightly under 10% so I've taken to making sure everything heavy inside the trailer, like cases of beverages, are stored under the front bed as far forward as practical.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #22

Name: MARK
Trailer: SUNTREK
Ontario
Not a great picture, but for a trip this summer we used the racks I have mounted above our hard tonneau cover on our Honda Ridgeline. Great set-up, but I also have a tongue- mounted receiver that I sometimes use.
Attached Thumbnails
79421621-248D-4285-BD5E-BAC858677C1E.jpg   6631174F-1E06-4754-A606-C7ED92790A28.jpg  

Delmitch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #23

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Talking

I have an above the bed rack also. I like to keep the "toys" with the TV. We usually leave the trailer at the campground and take the TV and toys to the trail head, launch, etc.. I also have a 15' inflatable KaBoat (with 20 hp jet outboard) I take instead of the canoe.

This pic doesn't show it very well but it is a Pace Edwards roll top bed cover with Explorer rails, Yakima Landing Pads with Control Towers and Lockjaw bike trays. I like a Lockjaw style of bike tray so you don't have to take the wheel off. I used the X-Large (78") Yakima cross-bars so the bikes are mounted slightly outboard of the side of the truck bed. Had to go to the X-L's to have enough width between the bikes to fit the KaBoat. It's ended up being easier to get the bikes down with them being slightly outboard of the bed.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #24

Name: Tom Young
Trailer: Trillium Manufacturing
Arizona
I would not put the bikes on the rear of the 4500. The tongue weight must be at least 200 lbs. I've seen troubles develop, loss of the bikes, and very poor handing. Your can get a hitch extension for the car, with an adapter for a bike rack. I think I've seen it on eTrailer.
Tom
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most hitch extensions I’ve seen reduce tongue weight rating by 50% (see the fine print). That, combined with the extra weight of the rack and bicycles, means you need a pretty robust vehicle to start with.

Let’s say you have a mid-sized crossover with a 500# tongue weight rating. The extension drops that to 250#. The trailer uses up 200#, leaving only 50# for rack and bicycles.

Hitch extensions also move the ball away from the vehicle, which is bad for towing stability (sway), though not as serious as low tongue weight.

Last, bicycles on a hitch extension block access to the cargo area of the vehicle. Maybe that’s good, because with your tongue weight rating maxed out, you won’t want to carry cargo anyway...

No simple, easy solutions for bicycles, unfortunately. That’s why there are so many threads on the subject!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
with my Tacoma + Casita, I used a yakima roof rack on the truck shell.

My F250 4x4 is so tall this wouldn't be practical.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #27

Name: Maurice
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Registry
Bigfoot 17

Just reading this blog and wondering if same principles regarding bike racks on rear mounted hitches also apply to Bigfoot trailers 17 feet or 19 feet. We are currently looking to purchase a fiberglass and considering all makes especially a Bigfoot. Thanks.
akreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #28

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation Legal Problem

There is an often ignored legal problem with aft-mounted bike racks: they must not block the view of the license plate. Many aft-mounted bike racks are illegal because of this. Police rarely enforce this. But blocking the view of your license plate gives them a hassle opportunity.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium