2011? Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #1

Name: aaron
Trailer: in the market for Trillium
Ontario
2011? Trillium 1300

Dear Trillium lovers:
Most Trilliums seem to be from the 1970's and still running fine with keen owners. Some new ones are made in Calgary. I just saw an advert for a Trillium 2011 made by Mattman. What, where, and how many of these were manufactured? Any info?
All advice and history appreciated. Aaron in Port Perry, ON.
fentona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Oregon
You'll find the full history of the Trillium elsewhere on this forum, but basically you're looking at the U.S. offshoot Trillium (not to be confused with the Canadian Trillium Outback), which was manufactured in various locations around the country until it finally went under several years ago. Our 2011 Trillium, like the one you're looking at, was made by Mattman Global Specialty Vehicles in Temecula, Calif. Tom Young, who owned the company, said he was building about 50 per year at the time.

I would say from our experience, and those of others, that the Mattman Trilliums are not the best in terms of build quality. When we picked up our trailer from the factory and pulled it out of the parking lot, the axle began making a horrific metal-on-metal sound; we turned right around and, after the crew inspected the axle, we had to wait while they swapped it out for another one. The following spring, Tom Young actually flew up to Boise to repair our leaky belly band (he simply caulked the exterior, which I know now is not a permanent fix in any way). The cabinet doors and hardware were improperly installed, the main table leg failed within the first year, and the wall covering was slapped on with little attention to detail.

All that said, we love our little trailer and consider its problems to be relatively minor compared to some of the horror stories we've heard about the Trillium Outback, the Casita, and other fiberglass trailers. Unless you pay megabucks for an Oliver, I think manufacturing inconsistencies are common with these low-volume vehicles. And any RV, fiberglass or not, is going to present ongoing maintenance issues.

If you're interested in buying this trailer, I suggest that you do a thorough, in-person inspection, and take along an expert if necessary. Depending on how many miles and how much TLC the trailer has seen, it could be a great deal or a terrible one. Best of luck.
mzuzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My Trillium is a 2010 also made by Mattman. Mattmans primary product was one of a kind emergency vehicles. The trailers were a side line and joint venture with Tom Young, Trilliumrv. Near as I can figure Mattman built the frames, which are sturdier than most, and did a good job on the plumbing, wiring, etc. The shells were assembled by folks with minimal training. After the two outer pieces are joined, the inner furniture is installed. Much like a jigsaw puzzle, the placement of one piece effects all the others. The "kitchen" on my trailer was set crooked and they simply cut and beat the other pieces to fit. The trailer had numerous other defects. At one point I was promised a new trailer, but in the end I ended up repairing at my own expense. If you search you will find my window thread, my door thread, my belly band thread, and a few others. All I can say about my experience with Mr. Young was unfulfilled promises and creative excuses. After 2011 he ventured off on his own then sold the molds to a Canadian manufacturer who produced the Sidekick. The Trillium is a very nice trailer and had the build quality and customer service been there, they would still be around.

I still own the trailer. It has been well used, currently with over 80k mile. All the problems have been fixed and are a distant memory. It's easy to tow, just the right size for me, and the jalousie windows on four sides make it very comfortable even when raining. In the picture my trailer is the one furthest back. The others were headed for Canada. As with any Trillium, make sure the sandwiched plywood floor is intact. Speaking from experience anything else is fixable. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
_20180714_130404.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzuzel View Post
You'll find the full history of the Trillium elsewhere on this forum, but basically you're looking at the U.S. offshoot Trillium (not to be confused with the Canadian Trillium Outback), which was manufactured in various locations around the country until it finally went under several years ago. Our 2011 Trillium, like the one you're looking at, was made by Mattman Global Specialty Vehicles in Temecula, Calif. Tom Young, who owned the company, said he was building about 50 per year at the time.

I would say from our experience, and those of others, that the Mattman Trilliums are not the best in terms of build quality. When we picked up our trailer from the factory and pulled it out of the parking lot, the axle began making a horrific metal-on-metal sound; we turned right around and, after the crew inspected the axle, we had to wait while they swapped it out for another one. The following spring, Tom Young actually flew up to Boise to repair our leaky belly band (he simply caulked the exterior, which I know now is not a permanent fix in any way). The cabinet doors and hardware were improperly installed, the main table leg failed within the first year, and the wall covering was slapped on with little attention to detail.

All that said, we love our little trailer and consider its problems to be relatively minor compared to some of the horror stories we've heard about the Trillium Outback, the Casita, and other fiberglass trailers. Unless you pay megabucks for an Oliver, I think manufacturing inconsistencies are common with these low-volume vehicles. And any RV, fiberglass or not, is going to present ongoing maintenance issues.

If you're interested in buying this trailer, I suggest that you do a thorough, in-person inspection, and take along an expert if necessary. Depending on how many miles and how much TLC the trailer has seen, it could be a great deal or a terrible one. Best of luck.
Posting reply: Thank you for Raz and mzuzel for quick replies and caveats. Trailer sticker says made July 2011. Another sticker says imported to Canada. Maybe it is on that trailer. Looks to be in good condition. Will pick up in 2 weeks. Aaron
Old 10-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Ontario
2011? Trillium 1300

Thank you to both 'Raz' and 'mzuzel' for quick replies and caveats. This forum is so valuable for we neophytes. Trailer sticker 'manufactured July 2011', and another sticker says imported into Canada. It does not appear to be in the image posted. We had another trailer person check it over and it appears to be in good condition. Will pick up in 2 weeks. Hopefully we will have good things to post in future. fentona

Tags
trillium