Bigfoot "Silver Cloud" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Nice trailer, but much to big for our touring needs. Even my Escape 5.0TA is fairly large, but my overall towing length will be about 12' shorter, and 8" narrower. I do not have a problem with towing something that large, it is more that many places I go and camp it would be tough to fit it in. Then there is the cost for towing in vehicle and fuel.

If I was mostly staying in RV parks and not travelling lots, it could sure be developed into a wonderful home on the road though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i like airstreams too

jim

I love Airstreams I like the way they design and build them! What a great looking rig going down the road if you are into that!

We are dedicated boondockers the only time we actual set up camp is while trout fishing at our state park and even then we use the primitive tenting spots.

Then we get into money, mishaps and wear and tear on an expensive rig like this. It just isn't our way of camping or use of our money.

But I am glad for those that enjoy such a rig

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nice trailer, but much to big for our touring needs. Even my Escape 5.0TA is fairly large, but my overall towing length will be about 12' shorter, and 8" narrower. I do not have a problem with towing something that large, it is more that many places I go and camp it would be tough to fit it in. Then there is the cost for towing in vehicle and fuel.

If I was mostly staying in RV parks and not travelling lots, it could sure be developed into a wonderful home on the road though.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I’ve checked the weight of our Silvercloud on two occasions and it came in around 5800 - 5900 lbs, fully loaded, propane included, but with near empty tanks. We use a standard weight distribution hitch with 620 - 650 lbs on the hitch and the trailer tracks beautifully. We’ve towed thousands of miles with a 2007 Tundra that seemed none the worse for wear when we traded it at 169,000 miles last spring.

We purchased our Silvercloud in 2012 for $13,500 only to find it needed new axles. That done, it’s been a wonderful, comfortable trailer. We love the rear living room and the large louvred windows.
lance abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #24

Missouri
great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance abbott View Post
I’ve checked the weight of our Silvercloud on two occasions and it came in around 5800 - 5900 lbs, fully loaded, propane included, but with near empty tanks. We use a standard weight distribution hitch with 620 - 650 lbs on the hitch and the trailer tracks beautifully. We’ve towed thousands of miles with a 2007 Tundra that seemed none the worse for wear when we traded it at 169,000 miles last spring.

We purchased our Silvercloud in 2012 for $13,500 only to find it needed new axles. That done, it’s been a wonderful, comfortable trailer. We love the rear living room and the large louvred windows.
I would say even with the new axles you got a great bargain. Someone must have wanted their trailer to go to a good home!

bob
Old 02-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We paid 9999.00 but it needed a new fridge, new door, and new tires. A water-damaged wall needed repair too. We added AC too. Later we added a new floor, new Lazyboys, new curtains, and new covers for seats.

Very comfy camper. Like I said, we can each watch our own TV at each end.

CindyL
Old 02-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #26

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We paid 9999.00 but it needed a new fridge, new door, and new tires. A water-damaged wall needed repair too. We added AC too. Later we added a new floor, new Lazyboys, new curtains, and new covers for seats.

Very comfy camper. Like I said, we can each watch our own TV at each end.

CindyL
Your tv watching is sort of far out! TV TV and more Tvs. Did you put one in for outside viewing like the 500k boys? It seems no matter what we do someone comes up with something to top the other guy! I don't think I can fit a lazyboy in our 13f Scamper either?

I like boondocking now they have glamping whatever that is?

LoL and having some fun!!

bob
Old 02-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Your tv watching is sort of far out! TV TV and more Tvs. Did you put one in for outside viewing like the 500k boys? It seems no matter what we do someone comes up with something to top the other guy! I don't think I can fit a lazyboy in our 13f Scamper either?

I like boondocking now they have glamping whatever that is?

LoL and having some fun!!

bob
Yeah, I am a glamper. Gotta have my AC, TV, Instant Pot, microwave, etc. No TV on the outside though.

CindyL
Old 02-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, I am a glamper. Gotta have my AC, TV, Instant Pot, microwave, etc. No TV on the outside though.

CindyL
Cindy, didn't you just sorta define glamping, at least as I know it?

This is all good though, do whatever works best for you. We all come into camping from different backgrounds and have differing wants and needs. I know mine have expanded quite a bit from living in the backcountry when camping. As mentioned above, I love the idea of this large moulded fibreglass trailer, but would need a change of camping style to accommodate it for us. And to own something this rare has a class of it's own. I still look with awe at the 25' Bigfoot with twin beds. Maybe some day.

I did set my 3 year old 5.0TA up to accommodate TV usage. Good thing too, as we did use it one night in those 3 years. Considering just leaving the TV at home now. No microwave option though, we don't need to reheat our coffee when camping as when out there we take the time to drink it hot. Though, I have used my A/C a handful of times in three years. I did set my 3 year old 5.0TA up to accommodate TV usage. Good thing too, as we did use it one night in those 3 years. Considering just leaving the TV at home now. Preferring camping without hookups has become a preference, which affects a lot of things. LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #29

Registry
Yes, I defined glamping.

I was chastised for describing the recliners as Lazy Boys. They are not; they are a smaller recliner, so they fit.

CindyL
Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #30

Missouri
Glamping rigs

Cindy I have seen quite a few rigs that are decked out to the limit. I think altoough it a neat idea too much work for me.

Then since we are boondockers dirt is sort of a constant in our camping life. No fancy rug outside no cover so once in awhile mud too!

I would love me a Lazyboy though! LOL

There is different styles of of boondocking too I would imagine ours and the Bennetts is entirely different. We are cheap we are liable to boondock anywhere as long as we are safe and its allowed.

we have boondocked at Walmarts, all the dept stores, restaurants, along the highway in the destert anywhere to have a good nights sleep and move on the next morning!

but whatever level we can all have the enjoyment of boondocking!

bob

bob
Old 02-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bigfoot "Silver Cloud"

Quote:
i was chastised for describing the recliners as Lazy Boys. They are not; they are a smaller recliner, so they fit.
I think lazy boy has very nearly passed into the category of words like kleenex, elevator, and xerox, brand names so closely associated with a specific product that they became common nouns (or a verb in the case of google). I understood you perfectly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #32

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
It must have been sold. I tried going to the ad and it has been removed. I just bought my Hymer in August but I'm already considering moving on. Nothing against the Hymer it is a great little unit but I'm getting a bit old for the tiny wet bath. I'm now thinking of a Bigfoot 21 with a dry bath. I do believe they have a dry bath am I correct?
Old 02-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
It must have been sold. I tried going to the ad and it has been removed. I just bought my Hymer in August but I'm already considering moving on. Nothing against the Hymer it is a great little unit but I'm getting a bit old for the tiny wet bath. I'm now thinking of a Bigfoot 21 with a dry bath. I do believe they have a dry bath am I correct?
Steve, don't you dare sell that Hymer under I see it
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #34

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Steve, don't you dare sell that Hymer under I see it
LOL John OC is bringing his to the FALL NOG. I'm just a little torn after trying to comfortably use that bathroom for several days at Quartzite. I think they are made for really skinny folks.

By the way any cancellations yet for the Spring NOG? We are booked for Maryhill but that's it so far this year.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #35

Quote:
LOL John OC is bringing his to the FALL NOG. I'm just a little torn after trying to comfortably use that bathroom for several days at Quartzite. I think they are made for really skinny folks.

By the way any cancellations yet for the Spring NOG? We are booked for Maryhill but that's it so far this year.
No, haven't heard of any cancellations. But, I encourage you to check the parks website frequently. Maybe someone who's NOT a NOGger will cancel and there's no way I'd ever know that. I have you as number 2 on the wait list. IF you can make it at nearly the last minute, I pretty much assure you there will be NOGgers cancelling, there always is.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I'm now thinking of a Bigfoot 21 with a dry bath. I do believe they have a dry bath am I correct?
Yes. It’s the smallest all-molded trailer that does.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think lazy boy has very nearly passed into the category of words like kleenex, elevator, and xerox, brand names so closely associated with a specific product that they became common nouns (or a verb in the case of google). I understood you perfectly.
To be honest, even to call them recliners is a stretch. As soon as you use them as recliners, you can't move in the living room. Rarely is the footrest raised. Donna Dee had an idea, that we take out the couch and put a TV against the side, so we can use the recliners. We have grandkids that sleep on the couch bed though.

CindyL
Old 02-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: Escape
New York
So just a question. Was the silver cloud a single wall fiber glass unit, or double walled like the current 25 foot.
Jheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #39

Quote:
To be honest, even to call them recliners is a stretch. As soon as you use them as recliners, you can't move in the living room. Rarely is the footrest raised. Donna Dee had an idea, that we take out the couch and put a TV against the side, so we can use the recliners. We have grandkids that sleep on the couch bed though.

CindyL
My grandgirls would sleep on the floor on air mattresses and sleeping bags.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
There is different styles of of boondocking too I would imagine ours and the Bennetts is entirely different. We are cheap we are liable to boondock anywhere as long as we are safe and its allowed.

we have boondocked at Walmarts, all the dept stores, restaurants, along the highway in the destert anywhere to have a good nights sleep and move on the next morning!\
The vast majority of our camping is boondocking, where we are away from campsites, stores, electricity and so on. This is what boondocking is, camping in the boondocks. A far cry from my backpacking, ski touring and canoeing trips of multiple days though.

And they do not build Walmarts, stores and restaurants in the boondocks, so staying at these would qualify to some degree as living off the grid, but definitely is not boondocking. We do this while on the move for an overnight stop too.

Tags
bigfoot, cloud