Scamp Shower Drain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Scamp Shower Drain

Can we talk about the shower drain trap again? I'm talking about that piece of white plastic under the shower pan that connects the drain to the transfer pump. I want to take it apart, since the caulking seems to be failing and the chipboard subfloor is getting wet.

I noticed a small drip coming from the drain trap as I was parking the trailer in my driveway. Investigation revealed moisture around the hole in the chipboard, and I think I need to remove the drain trap and the drain fitting in the shower floor, get it all cleaned up and dried out, and replaced with fresh caulk, and maybe even some reinforced flooring.

So how does it come apart? It LOOKS as if a pipe wrench on the white drain trap on the outside, and a drain wrench on the inside would do it, but since I'm not finding the exact replacement drain traps on Amazon, Scamp, or eTrailer (either "out of stock" or no such thing), I thought I'd ask before putting big wrenches on that thin plastic and the chrome/brass fitting in the shower floor.

Thanks for any information!

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I've done this a dozen times or more and I have never had to use extraordinary force. It unthreads from below and the most force I have had to use thus far was a rag to protect the fitting sometimes and a pair of channel locks 'cause I'm getting old and weak.
If you need to hold the drain you can have someone stick the handles of a regular pair of pliers down the drain and just hold it still.

Gently though, it is plastic after all.
The fitting is readily available at any RV supply.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
Chuck - I've wanted to remove that trap but never have. Please let us know how it goes.
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The trap just unscrews from the bottom. See https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-95195-Exterior-Evacuation/dp/B0095TEE86/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=RV+drain+trap&qid=163 0548478&sr=8-2 to get an idea of what you need to do.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #5

Washington
Yup, it unscrews from the bottom, easy-peasy. But in my case, too easy. The thing was just held in place with the standard Scamp over-abundance of caulk. The drain trap came out from below, and the chrome/brass fitting came out from above. Fine. After removing all the caulk, and generally cleaning things up, I found that the reason it had been caulked to death was that there were only about two threads on the drain trap holding it to the chrome fitting. It wouldn't go any tighter because the subfloor was too thick, even though it had been drilled out with a 3 1/2" hole saw. No problem, says I, I'll just deepen the hole from the bottom a bit in order to expose more threads on the chrome piece and by the way, clean out a bunch of the caulk.

My dull hole saw cut thru the subfloor and caulk like butter. Huh? I expected to cut a bit, then chisel a bit, then cut out a little more, etc. But the MDF subfloor was way too easy to cut away.

Yes, the subfloor under my shower pan is MDF!! Reinforced with goobers of caulk. I have managed to remove at least a half inch of MDF (still leaving about a half inch of material), so there should be plenty of room to catch the threads.

But what, if anything, can I/should I do about protecting the MDF from any further leaks?

Once I decide how to protect the subfloor, re-installing the silly thing should be pretty easy.

But more to the point, would it be considered good workmanship to use MDF for the shower subfloor?

Chuck
Old 09-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #6

Name: Max
Trailer: shopping
California
Did you contact scamp and ask them? they might even be able to do the repair if you are close.
maxwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Yup, it unscrews from the bottom, easy-peasy. But in my case, too easy. The thing was just held in place with the standard Scamp over-abundance of caulk. The drain trap came out from below, and the chrome/brass fitting came out from above. Fine. After removing all the caulk, and generally cleaning things up, I found that the reason it had been caulked to death was that there were only about two threads on the drain trap holding it to the chrome fitting. It wouldn't go any tighter because the subfloor was too thick, even though it had been drilled out with a 3 1/2" hole saw. No problem, says I, I'll just deepen the hole from the bottom a bit in order to expose more threads on the chrome piece and by the way, clean out a bunch of the caulk.

My dull hole saw cut thru the subfloor and caulk like butter. Huh? I expected to cut a bit, then chisel a bit, then cut out a little more, etc. But the MDF subfloor was way too easy to cut away.

Yes, the subfloor under my shower pan is MDF!! Reinforced with goobers of caulk. I have managed to remove at least a half inch of MDF (still leaving about a half inch of material), so there should be plenty of room to catch the threads.

But what, if anything, can I/should I do about protecting the MDF from any further leaks?

Once I decide how to protect the subfloor, re-installing the silly thing should be pretty easy.

But more to the point, would it be considered good workmanship to use MDF for the shower subfloor?

Chuck
If you found MDF in the floor of a Scamp it was aftermarket. Scanp has never used MDF for flooring.
The bulkhead may be MDF or something similar on the Deluxe, hard to say because it is Oak or Birch veneer on one side and plastic or Fiberglass on the other.
The floor is composed of OSB which is treated with polyester resin.
That treatment could have been compromised when the hole was cut for the drain. Like anything else, cars trailers, houses, etc., neglect of maintenance will result in damage.

If you have a modern house you can be fairly certain that the floors, roof, and if you're lucky, the walls are made from OSB without a resin treatment.

This means you must repair leaks in the roof, plumbing, siding or windows in a timely manner to minimize or prevent any damage.

While you are under the trailer check and seal the hole for the toilet as well. Also regularly check for water infiltration from dirty windows or fridge vents etc.
Fact is after 17+ years I am still AMAZED at how much better built my Scamp is, and how much less maintenance it has required than any conventional stickbuilt trailer or motorhome I have seen or worked on.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:49 PM   #8

Washington
I bought this Scamp new from the factory in October of 2014. There is nothing in the shower that is after market, especially nothing in the shower subfloor.

And I know MDF when it turns to powder under a saw blade. I also recognize OSB when I see it, like under the rest of the trailer.

That said, it may be that Scamp put a piece around the shower drain when it was going in, on top of the OSB, since there is a double thickness of material there under the shower drain pan. That's why the drain trap didn't thread into the chrome fitting on top.

Maybe I will call Scamp and ask them, as suggested above.

Chuck

Tags
scamp