Weight Limit/Reinforcememts on Scamp Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2021, 10:20 PM   #1

Name: Joyce
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Question Weight Limit/Reinforcememts on Scamp Bed

I’ll be picking up my 16’ Scamp in Feb. ‘22. I haven’t been able to find out the weight limit of the double bed. Does anyone know? And has anyone had to reinforce the middle to support a larger body’s weight? Thanks for any info you can provide on this.
jburzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:50 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp told me 150# on the upper bunk. I started noticing some squeaks and groans when our kids hit around 110# or so. I’d personally err on the side of caution and call it 120# max.

I can see some possibilities for reinforcement for bigger folks, but our oldest left for college before it became necessary.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:47 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburzan View Post
I’ll be picking up my 16’ Scamp in Feb. ‘22. I haven’t been able to find out the weight limit of the double bed. ..
Is the double bed the one in the back? If that is the one you mean then its pretty darn sturdy. I doubt it would be a concern but you could build a wood box or frame to add support to the table part if you wanted to. If you mean the bunks then the bottom one is also very sturdy. The top one not. But a large person would have a hard time sleeping in either bunk. I tried to use the bottom bunk one. no good. I'm 6'0" 180.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thought we were talking about the double bunks, since that's what most people usually ask about. My mistake.

The weak spot on the rear bed is the front edge. I can’t imagine the rest being a problem for any adult(s) that can reasonably fit in the bed (46”x76”). You just need to be a little cautious about putting all your weight on a single point (like your knee) as you climb in and out of the bed and put your weight toward the sides of the table rather than right in the center. Once you lay down you'll be fine.

Some people reinforce the edge with an additional piece of wood cut to fill in the gaps around the table end and supported by the angled corners of the benches. That would allow you to sit on the edge as you enter and exit. You can't really do that in the factory configuration. Hopefully someone will be along with a picture.

If you don’t need to convert the bed to a table, there are a lot of additional options to make it stronger, often combined with a custom mattress that itself tends to spread out your weight better when entering and exiting the bed. I'd be inclined to make a pair of long drawer boxes in place of the table to access all that beautiful storage under a permanent bed. That would give you a vertical support across the middle. On my 13' the power center is on the street side bench. You'd have to preserve access and ventilation for that.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Thought we were talking about the double bunks, since that's what most people usually ask about. My mistake.
I could not tell which is why I asked.. she might be asking about either one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The weak spot on the rear bed is the front edge.
Quite right.. I used a cut down piece of metal wire shelf with the edges wrapped to prevent sharp edges. It fits on the edge and is supported at the ends by the top of the benches.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #6

Name: Joyce
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks for the tips. The double bed that is made
From the table in the back is what I was inquiring about. I’m not sure how permanently it will be a bed yet but really like the idea of drawers if it is.
jburzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, weight