Bonair Oxygen Molds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
How many Oxygens were made?
I've looked at lots of pictures of them, but seeing one in person would be great. It seems, with their unique shape, that photos don't show the interior very well.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #22

Name: Grant
Trailer: Bonair
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
How many Oxygens were made?
I've looked at lots of pictures of them, but seeing one in person would be great. It seems, with their unique shape, that photos don't show the interior very well.
I've received mixed info as to how many were manufactured, a ballpark figure would be perhaps 1100. I've put a call out to another owner, possibly previous owner as this was 3 years ago, and he had the actual numbers. There are some great pics of the interior both original and renovated on this site, not mine though. You should be able to view them in the comments forum.
Cheers.
Oliver the place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #23

Name: Rob
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver the place View Post
I wax the exterior of my oxygen every 2 years (I find it to be a gruelling job, hence every 2nd year), about 4 years ago I made the mistake of parking it in our front driveway for waxing and was inundated by passers by with compliments to its design as well as offers for purchase. What also resulted was a gentleman stopping by that seem very knowledgeable about the origin, manufacturing and moulds. He suggested that he knew where and who possessed the original moulds and that they had indeed been saved from the fire. He was attempting to orchestrate their purchase for his own interests. His interests it seems was once acquired he was going to incorporate the units into the design of "houseboats". The oxygen units would be affixed to a platform and pontoons would offer the floatation. He felt that due to their design they were perfect for the application into a marine environment. Initially my bs sensor kicked in but as I inquired further any incongruencies seemed to dissipate and I was convinced that at least the moulds still existed. About 2 years later my front door bell rang and it was the same gentlemen as my unit had been parked in the front drive and he was just stopping in to chat. I asked about the previously described "moulds" and his progress in acquiring them. He indicated that he had "missed the boat" (no pun intended regarding the houseboat refit). He indicated that he'd experienced a heart attack and after surgery and an extensive recovery it had come to light that the moulds had gone in another direction.
To this day I believe his story regarding the moulds existence, as for his desire in obtaining them for the purpose of a houseboat refit, probably just a desire or dream.
No yarn here, at least not from me.
I would love to know more of the oxygen's history myself. My information is that there was a fire and the moulds were damaged beyond repair..I believe the fibreglass work may have actually been contracted out as on mine there is a label inside the right hand front seat locker with the name of the fabricator.

I'm on the east coast and am familiar with the capabilities of fibreglass boat builders in my area.. it is possible to take an Oxygen apart and make new moulds.

Re waxing.. I just finished waxing mine..I do it twice a year, I'm a real believer in waxing as I store the trailer outside. I use Nu Finish which polishes out fairly easily and with a car polisher it's no big deal. Something which I found helpful is the application of a thin coating of silicone grease on the hard rubber window frames to get rid of the weathering and restore the black colour. Permatex dielectric works but find the Kleen-Flo Eze Slide Brake easier to apply.

Another vulnerable area is the frame. Mine fortunately had surface rust but still in fairly good shape. I strongly advise a yearly application of a rust inhibitor such as Fluid Film to prevent the thin walled tubing from rusting out.
Vann in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #24

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver the place View Post
I've received mixed info as to how many were manufactured, a ballpark figure would be perhaps 1100. I've put a call out to another owner, possibly previous owner as this was 3 years ago, and he had the actual numbers. There are some great pics of the interior both original and renovated on this site, not mine though. You should be able to view them in the comments forum.
Cheers.
I've heard a few numbers tossed around the low was 75 units the high 145. I know the first units that were sent to dealers were slow to move and they ended up discounting them at the end of the first season. Part of the problem may have been the lack of holding tanks and shower. I do wish someone would post a history here before all is forgotten.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What I've learned about the Oxygen is that the first one were made in 2001 to be sold as 2002 models. They made about 20 of them, and they were quickly recalled for structural issues. In 2003 they fixed the structural issues, and they sold about 70 units.
Then came the fire. As far as I know the molds were destroyed in the fire.
So they made about 90 units total.
Bonair had no experience in FG RV. They made popups and stickies. Things were no going very well at Bonair during these years, and the Oxygen was part of a plan to put Bonair back on track, with a innovative lightweight trailer design. Unfortunately, the development of the Oxygen put a lot of pressure on the company and affected the production of their traditional trailers. After the fire they were never able to get back on track, and went bankrupt.
The Bonair factory in ThetFord Mines (Quebec) wasn't too far from where I live, and today there is nothing left of the factory.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #26

Nova Scotia
I'm pretty sure Bonair did not do the actual fibreglass work, mine has a label on the shell which has the name VEZINA composites which leads me to believe the shell was made elsewhere. As for defects, I haven't found any on mine 2001 (build date November 2000)one of the first.. given I store it outside, no surface imperfections or delamination.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yours may have been fixed, I don't know.
May be not all the units had issues, but recalled all of them as a precautionary measure. I don't know exactly what the fix consisted of, or if the "fix" is something that can be seen.

That's interesting that the shell has a Vezina Composite tag on it, first time I hear that.
Vezina Composites is now called Composites VCI. Looks like they were based in St-Lin (Quebec).
Leader in the design, development, manufacturing of composite products

Bonair apparently had no prior experience in fiberglass or composites, so they may have started their operation with the help of specialized companies like Vezina Composites, or had the first shells made by them.

I haven't looked up an Oxygen closely enough to confirm this, but I've read that the Oxygen is not 100% molded FG, the structure also uses Nida-Core panels, which are polypropylene honeycomb panels lined with fiberglass (the Nida-Core company is now part of 3M). I don't know if the structural issues and recall were related to the use of Nida-Core.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #28

Name: Grant
Alberta
I've tried to edit the original post as I have received some very good information from other members regarding the oxygen molds. A member Carl has contributed clear information about the Bonair fire and consequential demise of the factory.
It would seem that the original post I created was a catalyst for additional information so it wasn't all bad. Vann from NS contributed details as well regarding the number of units manufactured but again. I believe these are all contained in the forum thread.
Cheers.
Oliver the place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #29

Nova Scotia
The fact that it's cored seems like it's more complicated to make them in house as start up process.. I'll try and follow up on your lead and and make a contact, perhaps someone there could fill us in.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #30

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
It's always exciting to read about the possibility of something as unique as the O2 molds to be out there somewhere.
Like the molds that showed up a couple of years ago of a little 50's style camper.
I seen an O2 in 2009. We were homeward bound from a X Canada trip crossing the Canada/US border in southern Sask. and there was one on the CAnadian side that had crossed ahead of us.
Had the opportunity to chat with the owners and get a quick look inside.
But, forget all the details now.
They are a beautiful unit.
But honestly, not a big fan.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen