Burro turn signal troubleshooting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #1

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Burro turn signal troubleshooting

Hi! Hoping to get some help here with my turn signal issues. We have a new to us 1984 Burro wide body with nearly all original parts.

Here are the issues: when the tow vehicle lights are on, only the large bulb in the lower large rear fixture lights up. Left does nothing.

When the left turn signal is on in the tow vehicle, the the larger of the two bulbs in the rear large fixture blinks, but nothing else (amber left, small red upper and small red lower) blinks.

When the right turn signal is on in the tow vehicle, the smaller of the 2 bulbs in the big right rear fixture blinks, plus the amber, and the upper and lower red blink. If the tow vehicle lights are on the big bulb lights up but stays constant; with the right signal on the left amber, small upper red, side lower red, and small rear red also blink, (but not the big lower left bulb in thar fixture). This is the result regardless of whether the tow car beams are on or off.

When the hazards are on, everything on the left (the amber, the small red lights and the lower big light bulb) blink. This happens with the tow car beams both on and off. On the right side, when the hazards are on, all the small lights (amber, upper and lower red, and small bulb in rear light) blink, but not the big bulb. The big bulb only lights up if the tow vehicle beams are on and stays constant with the hazards engaged.

All bulbs are functional and operational—at least when they get a signal….

From this testing, I am deducing that the large bulb in the rear fixture is supposed to be on when the tow beams are on, but should not blink. I am also deducing that, normally, the small series of bulbs (the amber, the big and small red fixtures, and the small bulb in the big fixture) are supposed to blink when the turn signals are on. The big bulb in the rear fixture should stay constant.

So I have some sort of issue on the left side.

I am fairly certain the issue is the trailer and not the tow vehicle, although not 100 percent. It has an after market hitch. I took it back to the hitch installer to have the hitch wiring and it appears to be working correctly. Note: the wide body Burro requires a 7-pin hitch.

My Internet research indicates that a bad ground might cause trailer lighting problems. I confirmed the ground in the tow vehicle is good. I consulted the really helpful wiring diagram for a Burro on the “documents” page, but I cannot for the life of me find the ground to the chassis on the trailer itself. That was going to be the next thing I was going to to try.

Could anyone advise where to look for the trailer chassis ground? I will note that there is an extra white wire coming through to the right large rear taillight fixture that connects directly to a screw—is it possible that the ground????)

I am also open to other troubleshooting ideas. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Ellen K in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
A picture of the taillights might help with cover on and off

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
A picture of the taillights might help with cover on and off

Joe
Thanks Joe. Here is the left large light. After opening this up, I cleaned the corrosion on the ground to the light (which I assume is the white wire on the back). No improvement.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #4

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
it sounds like maybe a wire got switched at the taillight. i don't have a burro but try this: look at the back of the right & left light fixtures. check carefully what color wire goes to what connection point? that may give you a clue. also see if any of the wires are accidently connecting to something extra they shouldn't be touching, &/or grounding to a metal back of the fixture.
good luck!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #5

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
one more thought. your camper is getting up in years (aren't we all?), check the bulb holders for rust. mine were working, but crumbled into rusty dust when i touched it.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Check the ground from the bulb socket to the ground wire. On my Boler, the ground wire was attached to a steel rivet that connected to the bulb socket. It rusted and caused an intermediate connection. I ended up drilling out the rivets and replacing them with brass bolts.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Colorado
Thanks all, some good ideas here. Not sure why my linked pictures of the tail light never posted. I still have not been able to solve this puzzle, but trying a couple of other things out to see if I can narrow down if it is grounding issue. I really appreciate the ideas, and this great community.

It takes a village to keep these old eggs rolling!
Old 10-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: Burro 17'
California
Registry
Burro taillights

I have a 1996 wide body. I replaced the original (junk) taillights with led lights 7” dia. Best thing to fix those old funky taillights.
shumiron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, turn signal, wiring