Just got this Old Burro Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: Kagun
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Just got this Old Burro Camper

Hello, my name is Kagun

I am the new owner of this Burro camper (I believe 1989) it needs a good bit of restoration. Is it worth the work or should I part it out as I am aware they are no longer making these campers. What would be the best choice here?
Attached Thumbnails
1front.jpg   3side.jpg  

4inside back.jpg   inside front 1.jpg  

2inside front.jpg   roof.jpg  

OldCamperBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
If it is solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCamperBurro View Post
Hello, my name is Kagun

I am the new owner of this Burro camper (I believe 1989) it needs a good bit of restoration.
And safe for the road you have a good start. I would not do it to make money, but if you do it to use, it would be a great project. In good condition molded fiberglass RVs sell for MUCH more than they sold for new. (Do not spend money on it until you get it registered in your name.)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #3

Name: Kagun
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
And safe for the road you have a good start. I would not do it to make money, but if you do it to use, it would be a great project. In good condition molded fiberglass RVs sell for MUCH more than they sold for new. (Do not spend money on it until you get it registered in your name.)
I love traveling and camping under the stars. I would infact choose to start loving in it should I decide to restore it. Thank you for the comment I will plan to keep it if the parts are not too hard to locate.
OldCamperBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Parting it out will not get you much in return ,you would be better off selling as is .restoring a burro will be a large project especially if the floor is compromised and most are ,it will require removing it from the frame and re placing the floor in multiple pieces of marine grade plywood and recovering with fg . This is exactly what I had done with the burro I restored except aside from the rotted floor I also had to deal with a tree that fell on it and destroyed large portions of the fg . Bought it for $250.00 ,put $2000.00 plus into it plus my labor and sold it for $4000.00 4 years ago would probably get $8-10000 now
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #5

Name: Avey
Trailer: 21' BigFoot, 17 wide body Burro
California
Quote:
Hello, my name is Kagun

I am the new owner of this Burro camper (I believe 1989) it needs a good bit of restoration. Is it worth the work or should I part it out as I am aware they are no longer making these campers. What would be the best choice here?

I would take the time to restore it! These pull great and are easy to work on mostly because of the inside walls. A little work would go a long way to be able to enjoy it.
ZAC N CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
While you might think the Burro is rare, most of the parts are the same one used in hundreds of brands of RV, so they are not rare at all, and parting out would not be financially beneficial.

If you got it cheap, you can either sell as is, clean up the dirt but nothing else. Chances are you will make good money on it. Or you can fully restore. To restore, you need TIME and a dry place to work. I love projects, but sometimes its better to sell as is.

Be realistic about the time commitment.

I bought my 1977 Trillium from a guy who bought is as a project to work on. Twenty years later, and he still hadn't worked on it, so he sold it as a project. Sitting next to it was an old VW beetle, that he bought to work on. It had been sitting just as long.

This guy had a nice two car garage, which was full with these two projects. He surely would have benefited from that garage space for family vehicles instead.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

Name: leftamark
Trailer: 2008 scamp
Illinois
looking for a 17' burro

hey, not sure just how much work is needed. i am looking for a camper like this. i prefer one ready to go, but if the price is right... please feel free to detail work needed and the price it takes to buy it as is. thank you
leftamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #8

Name: Penny
Trailer: Burro 13’
Colorado
Does anyone with an old Burro know where you can get tge rubber seals around the windows?
LuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: Holidaire
British Columbia
Window Seals, etc.

Quote:
I love traveling and camping under the stars. I would infact choose to start living in it should I decide to restore it. Thank you for the comment I will plan to keep it if the parts are not too hard to locate.

You might try Vintage Trailer Supply

or, for 'hard to find' window seals, etc. https://sealsdirect.co.uk/
They are in UK but will ship to NA.
matthfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #10

Name: Rick
Massachusetts
Burro restoration

I restored an 84 Burro-13. It needed a new floor and lots of other stuff, but the windows were good but needed to be pulled and resealed to the FG with Butyl tape.
Your missing stove, sink and fridge are standard sizes and can all be replaced. Atwood, Dometic, etc.
I did mine for about $2500, in materials including a limited amt of hired labor.
The parts which are difficult/ impossible to find are new door latch and window frames. Even a new Dexter axel is not that much.
Some folks who restore these go all electric which makes restoration easier but then limits you to hook ups every night. I kept the propane system for stove and fridge which allows for boondocking.
When it is done, however you will be the hit of the CG, plan on showing it a lot, and getting many offers to buy it from you.
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #11

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.a View Post
I restored an 84 Burro-13. It needed a new floor and lots of other stuff, but...
I think I may need to replace some or all of the flooring in my 72 trail mite - what type of repair person would I get to do the work? Or how would I go about repairing that myself?
Attached Thumbnails
20211103_193620.jpg  
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro