SC Rally...Any interest UHaul Owners? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #41

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Several years ago we were at Oregon Inlet campground with a popup. A sudden rain storm blew in, microburst the ranger called it, that didn't last too long but it took the top off of a couple popups, the one next to us was on it's side, and some tents blew away. My favorite entertainment there is watching people getting stuck while driving on the beach. Other things of interest are at the big dune watching hang gliders crash, Pig Man's Barbecue, Brew Thru [just bought a T shirt there], Duck Donuts, and the Wright Brothers museum. Just off the Island you can get a ride in a Gravedigger monster truck. What more could we want!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #42

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Actually happens a lot out there in the summer.Been through a couple of them my self with an Apache pop up. I remember a water spout picked up a guy in a tent and deposited him in the sound about 15-20 years ago down at Ocracoke and lightning got a couple of fishermen over at Stumpy point. Ditto on the trucks. I usually can get them out if they are not in too deep and have a large bucket. Dig out the tires to form a ramp and haul sea water to compact the sand and have them let the air out of their tires. After i get them out I make them promise to root for Purdue whenever they play the ACC. I usually have to resort to the fact that they owe me to get the commitment.
Other must sees are Portsmuth Island once the largest port in the colonies, the light houses and an obligatory trip to Wanchese to pick up really fresh seafood. Then there is Andy Griffiths home in Manteo along with the aquarium and the Lost Colony play. All in all we have had a boatload of good times down there, unfortunately Mom Nature is reclaiming her beach front and there are going to be issues getting out there in the future.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #43

New York
Jane; maybe we can revive this rally idea. Another Uhaul has turned up in GA, so that may be a good location. From what I can see for Uhaul owners in Georgia we have Sean, Matt, Chris, and Bruce & Kaye; Diane in Virginia, and you in SC. We should be back at our winter location on the Georgia coast in early December. Maybe even persuade Don in Florida to make the trip. Any interest here?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #44

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
Add me to the NY list near Watkins Glen.
kbeale NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #45

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Jane; maybe we can revive this rally idea. Another Uhaul has turned up in GA, so that may be a good location. From what I can see for Uhaul owners in Georgia we have Sean, Matt, Chris, and Bruce & Kaye; Diane in Virginia, and you in SC. We should be back at our winter location on the Georgia coast in early December. Maybe even persuade Don in Florida to make the trip. Any interest here?
You have my vote for GA, S.C., N.C. KY, TN, or even FL! I'm mobile, hitch it up and go!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #46

New York
Kathie; where did you come from, first I've seen you post. We just did a group thing at Fairhaven State Park on Lake Ontario. It's a group that started with teardrop campers, but some have moved on to different rigs. We still have a teardrop, but took our Uhaul to Fairhaven, and Brian & Nancy were there with their Parkliner, so out of 10 campers only 2 were fiberglass. Next event is at Fish Creek Pond June 7, 8, 9, "Tearup The ADK". One of the participants is a retired art teacher who was in the recent Boston Marathon, but the race was stopped before she could finish. We take our Uhaul south for the winter, met Jane down there last year, and hope to connect with her and some other Uhaulers this coming winter.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #47

upstate ny
I live over in Cortland. Had my VT 2 1/2 yrs. My husband is a reluctant tower so we don't really go far. So I am interested in anything in NY or Pa.
I retired in March from teaching Art also! David says he will never retire but since he owns his own frame shop and gallery he is somewhat flexible with time.
I kind of fell off the face of the forum for a year or two but when a friend started talking about wanting to see a Casita Freedom in person I got back on and now I am hooked again.
I only went to one rally. That was in Pa. In the Poconos but now that I am looking at archives I see that has not happened again. Too bad.
Looks like there are 4 or 5 of us just in NY and Pa. Would love to get together but know I will never pry David much farther then that.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #48

New York
We've been through Cortland, our son got his PhD at Cornell and then taught there for a couple years before moving to Maine. Many years ago my grandmother had a brother in the Ithaca area, and he may have worked at one of the state parks in the area. They're both long gone so it's lost history. Another VT has recently made it's way to PA from South Carolina, now owned by William who is having a problem with the serial numbers to get it registered. We looked at a VT that was for sale in Lake Luzerne NY, it eventually went to Florida and got sold on ebay. Never been to Watkins Glen, but heard it is nice, maybe we can get together there sometime. We're both retired, but part time jobs. My great grandfather had a frame and furniture shop in NY City previous to 1920 when they moved upstate and bought a farm. When we meet, remind me to tell you the story of moving some huge frames and material from our area to a frame shop in the city, it's kind of funny. What's your campground preferences in your area? Bob
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #49

upstate ny
Tell you the truth we have not been out much. We mostly like state parks in
the Aderondecks(where is spell check when you want it?)
Seems like my son has gotten to use it much more than me.
I guess we are now using it as an guest bedroom.
Our last big trip was the year we got it and we went to the Outer Banks. We broke down on the way home outside DC and spent $6,000 to fix a $1000 truck so we could get home. Other then our one rally that was it!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #50

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
I am liking the idea of somthing in Ga. Red top Mtn, Calaway Gardens, Stone Mtn are just a few thoughts.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #51

New York
We need a Uhaul registry so we know where they all are. We winter on the Georgia coast so were hoping for a place in that area. Went to Stone Mountain once several years ago but only had a couple hours there. Went to Kennesaw to see The General. Traffic around Atlanta was crazy!!!! I can only imagine it is worse now.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #52

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
You arte correct. I do not like to drive in Atlanta. Calaway Gardens is a great trip for a day or a weekend is even Better. There are lots of things to do there. I do not know about Camp Grounds in that area. Also closrer to the coast im sure there are things to do and see as well.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #53

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Well, for us, neither New England nor the Southeast is the best. Somewhere in between. However, if this summer is what is being discussed, we are booked anyway.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #54

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Don, we just registered for the Cherokee Rally Oct. 17-20th, Hope you can make it again this year. Happy Valley RV Villiage 877-782-2665. We are site 088. I e mailed George also..would be great to get more U Hauls also..it is a fun group and rally. .Greg
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #55

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
. Also closrer to the coast im sure there are things to do and see as well.
Savannah is interesting, Paula Deen's restaurant there, historic tours, Uncle Bubba's restaurant out towards Tybee Island [Paula's brother], couple of old forts, a lighthouse, Mighty Eighth Museum at Pooler. This past winter we stayed a few days at Tybee, then went 90 miles south and sat on the beach for 3 months, even got Jane to visit us for a few days.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #56

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Well, for us, neither New England nor the Southeast is the best. Somewhere in between. However, if this summer is what is being discussed, we are booked anyway.

CindyL
No date or location at this point, just an idea. I think you need another trip to Disney anyway, we're thinking about it. Planning on returning to last years location for the winter anyway, we have it reserved for the next 3 years.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #57

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Bob, What's involved in compiling a registry? Doesn't this site have that already?
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #58

New York
Vanessa, maybe there is a registry that I'm not aware of. I mentioned it without doing any research, just said it because lately there seems to be Uhauls showing up all over. If their locations are known it may help to put together a rally. Jane has mentioned doing one a couple times but the best we have been able to do is just the two of us, and we convinced her to come to where we were set up for the winter.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #59

California
Registry
Quote:
Vanessa, maybe there is a registry that I'm not aware of. I mentioned it without doing any research, just said it because lately there seems to be Uhauls showing up all over. If their locations are known it may help to put together a rally. Jane has mentioned doing one a couple times but the best we have been able to do is just the two of us, and we convinced her to come to where we were set up for the winter.
When you click on your profile, under your username there is a tab called 'About' to input your VIN. Maybe we can ask all UHaul owners to update this section and have a report run quarterly or have it moderated.

...just my thoughts as stray as any ole Koon Kat. -V
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #60

California
Registry
Quote:
If their locations are known it may help to put together a rally. Jane has mentioned doing one a couple times but the best we have been able to do is just the two of us, and we convinced her to come to where we were set up for the winter.
If they're popping up all over, why only one? Btw....being a single butterfly, i can be convinced to show up in winter too! (-;

Tags
uhaul