PA: UHaul CT 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
PA: UHaul CT 13

1986 U-Haul 13 Foot Fiberglass Camper Trailer

Looks like one of the few ones made in 1986.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
And another rooftop ac as well! I know the pundits, naysayers about that may be aggravated...
But, even this Scamp was repaired!!! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oof-47443.html
Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #3

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
She's Purrty!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
And another rooftop ac as well! I know the pundits, naysayers about that may be aggravated...
But, even this Scamp was repaired!!! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oof-47443.html
Don, do you want a roof top AC on your UHaul? I think that it could be easily reinforced, though obviously some have just done it with no obvious immediate disaster.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #5

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
No obvious immediate disater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Don, do you want a roof top AC on your UHaul? I think that it could be easily reinforced, though obviously some have just done it with no obvious immediate disaster.
Mr. Tom, I have had a Coleman up there since I bought it and I think it's
been up there it's whole life being here in Florida. I have read on here that a ' big jounce ' may cause the roof to collapse, but, mine has been up there just fine with no reinforcing. I agree that some additional reinforcing would/could help with one's worry about the alleged ' big jounce ' but I continue to get a kick from the pundits that think it's a no go with out it!
Incidentally, has anyone got a documented big jounce that shows a roof collapsed? The Uhaul's double hull roof with it's angular longitudinal design
is much stronger than a single hull smooth design, IMHO.

A few older pics :in the Keys and the others in Smoky Mountain Park from last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Middle Keys-20120512-00167.jpg   Qualla-20121014-00278.jpg  

IMG-20121013-00276.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #6

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
but, mine has been up there just fine with no reinforcing. I agree that some additional reinforcing would/could help with one's worry about the alleged ' big jounce ' but I continue to get a kick from the pundits that think it's a no go with out it!
Incidentally, has anyone got a documented big jounce that shows a roof collapsed? The Uhaul's double hull roof with it's angular longitudinal design
is much stronger than a single hull smooth design, IMHO.

A few older pics :in the Keys and the others in Smoky Mountain Park from last year.
Having seen only 1 CT my observations are that the main difference between the VT and CT Ceilings is the width of the top seam it is only about 6" on the VT and appears to be about 12"or more on the CT. I believe my VT has some 1/2" Plywood sandwiched between the two shells as does the area around the bath vent for reinforcing, it is not glassed in. I was able to pull out one piece of the plywood for the vent and replace it as it was rotted. Reinforcing the CT ceiling in this way would require some cutting and Fiberglassing. You can find fiberglass C channel 2" W X .5" high that could be glassed to the roof to span from one side to the other to stiffen and allow the load to be transfered to the inner shell to help carry the load. It is just a matter of how heavy the unit is and how much flex is there. a simple solution is an adjustable brace that spans the area under the AC to support it while under tow and taken down when arriving at the destination. I have had all 220 pounds of me sitting on my VT's roof with with only a small deflection under my fat butt and agree with Don that they are pretty stout.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul