Back up camera on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Question Back up camera on Scamp

Planning on installing a wireless backup camera on my Scamp 19. I read in some literature found in the bundle of stuff that the previous owner gave me that the insulation used by Scamp prevents wireless signals from passing thru. Am I going to run into that problem?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RF attenuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Planning on installing a wireless backup camera on my Scamp 19. I read in some literature found in the bundle of stuff that the previous owner gave me that the insulation used by Scamp prevents wireless signals from passing thru. Am I going to run into that problem?
Astro-foil, reflectix and others like it attenuate but do not totally block radio frequencies.
Attached Thumbnails
wall2.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Astro-foil, reflectix and others like it attenuate but do not totally block radio frequencies.
Exactly.. and there are windows... the only way to know if it will work is to try it.

But I will say, the "faraday cage" Scamp insulation does reduce radio and cell reception inside my Scamp by a considerable amount.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
WiFi also

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Exactly.. and there are windows... the only way to know if it will work is to try it.

But I will say, the "faraday cage" Scamp insulation does reduce radio and cell reception inside my Scamp by a considerable amount.
I keep reflectix in the windows to keep the sun out. At the campground that I am at tonight I had to remove it from the window in the direction of the antenna to get a good signal. Not that it helped much, for you that do not need a TV because you watch the internet, note the speeds. (yes I ran several tests and this is a week night, weekends would have more users.)
Attached Thumbnails
internet speed 1.png  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:24 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Pat,
I installed my wireless backup camera inside the rear window of my Scamp 13 and have had no problems with transmission. Good luck.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #6

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I am wondering if the wireless backup camera would help for a rear view when driving? I am not confident I'm getting a good view behind my trailer with the mirror extensions. In fact, I'm certain I'm not.

I've already researched other mirrors, and also queried my Volvo owners' group. No one had a better mirror to recommend, but some did mention installing a camera.

Any thoughts on this appreciated! I'm thinking I would mount my iPad to the console... but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Being able to watch your rear will make you more nervous and take your eyes off the road ahead.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:19 PM   #8

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Being able to watch your rear will make you more nervous and take your eyes off the road ahead.
LOL. Obviously you've never had to keep an eye on two children in the back seat while dealing with an irritating (fortunately now long ex) spouse and driving in city freeway traffic. (But not while towing... )

BUT, not knowing what is behind me, or how much traffic might be building up because I'm traveling more slowly would make me nervous, and has done so. I also prefer not to follow a semi too closely, because I can't see what is ahead of the truck.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just wag the trailer or look for shadows and check my mirrors on curves. Not that I can do anything about a tailgater anyway.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I just wag the trailer or look for shadows and check my mirrors on curves. Not that I can do anything about a tailgater anyway.
Hmmm. That never worked with the arguing children or the annoying spouse. Slamming on the brakes had great effect though, and would probably get the attention of a tailgater

I did once stop the car and make my daughter get out and walk home.
#don'tmesswiththemama
Old 07-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
I am wondering if the wireless backup camera would help for a rear view when driving? I am not confident I'm getting a good view behind my trailer with the mirror extensions. In fact, I'm certain I'm not.

I've already researched other mirrors, and also queried my Volvo owners' group. No one had a better mirror to recommend, but some did mention installing a camera.

Any thoughts on this appreciated! I'm thinking I would mount my iPad to the console... but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help!
Ellpea,
I find the backup camera AND towing mirrors to be important to my safe operation (towing a 13' scamp with a Highlander). The mirrors (I like the Milenco, the Highlander stock mirrors are not sufficient) provide the information I need about vehicles behind me, and approaching beside me, while driving. In my experience the cameras have a fairly wide angle lens so aren't especially useful for this purpose. Unless the vehicle in question is exceptionally close to your trailer bumper it is too small in the viewer to be easily discernible. In addition, the mirrors cover a critical blind spot that a rear camera cannot see. I would not want to change lanes based on what I see in my camera. However, when at a stop light, or parking lot, or gas pumps, the camera does what the mirrors do not - it lets you know that a vehicle or person or bicycle, or lamp post is immediately behind your trailer. Very valuable information if you are wiggling around a tight spot.

Good luck in your adventures.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Ellpea,
I find the backup camera AND towing mirrors to be important to my safe operation (towing a 13' scamp with a Highlander). The mirrors (I like the Milenco, the Highlander stock mirrors are not sufficient) provide the information I need about vehicles behind me, and approaching beside me, while driving. In my experience the cameras have a fairly wide angle lens so aren't especially useful for this purpose. Unless the vehicle in question is exceptionally close to your trailer bumper it is too small in the viewer to be easily discernible. In addition, the mirrors cover a critical blind spot that a rear camera cannot see. I would not want to change lanes based on what I see in my camera. However, when at a stop light, or parking lot, or gas pumps, the camera does what the mirrors do not - it lets you know that a vehicle or person or bicycle, or lamp post is immediately behind your trailer. Very valuable information if you are wiggling around a tight spot.

Good luck in your adventures.
Thank you David. Do you have a camera to recommend? Any installation advice? Is your camera mounted inside?
Old 07-16-2022, 02:06 PM   #13

Name: M J
Missouri
Difficult camera reception

I have had nothing but difficulty with the installation of 3 separate cameras on the roof line above the rear window in my 13' Scamp. Upon installation, there is reception until I turn the car on then there is no reception. The car is a 2019 Ford Edge. It was finally determined that the car was not sending sufficient current to the camera, less than 12v, which is sufficient for the running lights. We then ran it directly to the house battery. This worked until I took it out for a recent camping trip. The monitor is now no longer recognizing the camera. This is frustrating, but I, too, would like to know what is happening behind the Scamp.
wanderingjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #14

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingjo View Post
I have had nothing but difficulty with the installation of 3 separate cameras on the roof line above the rear window in my 13' Scamp. Upon installation, there is reception until I turn the car on then there is no reception. The car is a 2019 Ford Edge. It was finally determined that the car was not sending sufficient current to the camera, less than 12v, which is sufficient for the running lights. We then ran it directly to the house battery. This worked until I took it out for a recent camping trip. The monitor is now no longer recognizing the camera. This is frustrating, but I, too, would like to know what is happening behind the Scamp.
M J,
Yikes! These are the problems everyone fears and hopes to avoid! Were your cameras mounted inside or outside of the Scamp?

Also, I just noticed what Gordon said above in post #3 about the Scamp being a "faraday cage," which might be more of an explanation than the 12v thoughts.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #15

Missouri
Scamp camera on outside roofline

The camera was mounted outside above the rear window. I am unsure how well mounting it inside with the Scamp insulation surrounding it would make the reception any better.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #16

Name: Bridget
Maryland
Backup Camera

I have a wireless backup camera on my Scamp 13, mounted centered high on the outside and I've had no problems with reception in the TV. The camera was the first upgrade I made to the camper when I bought it two years. ago. I believe having a clear view of traffic behind me is essential and would not travel without one.
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I installed a WIFI camera in my Boler. I installed a replacement WIFI antenna on the tongue to boost transmission. To date, I have had good reception via an Android cell phone I rubberband to my rear view mirror.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #18

Missouri
Camera brand on Scamp

My last camera is a Nuoenx with the monitor that was paired with it. What camera and monitor are you using?
Old 07-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetMills View Post
I have a wireless backup camera on my Scamp 13, mounted centered high on the outside and I've had no problems with reception in the TV. The camera was the first upgrade I made to the camper when I bought it two years. ago. I believe having a clear view of traffic behind me is essential and would not travel without one.
Bridget, I completely agree! What camera did you get? Would you post a photo of the installation? Does the power wire run inside?
Old 07-17-2022, 02:22 PM   #20

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
I have a Auto-Vox two camera system /w split screen monitor for my Scamp 19. One is mounted on the front of the trailer for lining up the goose neck to the hitch in the pickup bed. The other is mounted high on the rear of the trailer which I use a rear view camera. I also use clamp on Milenco Grand Aero 3 towing mirrors I am a retired petroleum transport driver, who has hauled everything from 8 axle double bottom flat bed tractor trailer to 6 axle petroleum trailers (East Coast and Ontario Canada). My feeling is that you can't get enough mirrors, and that backup camera systems are must have. No more distracting than looking in a normal mirror. When pulling a trailer you must always have a way out from any situation. If you have vehicles to you left and to your right, where do you go if you need to avoid a accident right in from of you?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp