Scamp 13 vs Nucamp 320 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Vermont
Scamp 13 vs Nucamp 320

Better components in the 320 but the Scamp is less than half the price. Scamp is also 300 lbs lighter.
What do folks think?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:51 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Nucamp is heavier, I can't stand up in it, and its not molded FG. Not sure the appliances are much better.

You decide.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Scamp all the way!
Mike in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #4

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in SoCal View Post
Scamp all the way!
Why?
Old 10-31-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp for a bright open layout with more windows and headroom. Scamp for the lack of panel seams and fewer leak points. Scamp for better long-term retained value. Scamp for flexible build options (including deletes if you want to leave space for a desired appliance upgrade not offered by Scamp, such as a 12V fridge or composting toilet).

Nucamp for a larger main bed, maybe? Not sure how bed size compares to the standard or big bed options in the Scamp. The optional split bed layout allows longways sleeping, maybe? Nucamp for better ground clearance for off-highway use.

Not sure how I feel about the cassette toilet. It’s part traditional RV toilet and part porta-potty. Depending on your personal preferences, it’s either the best of both or the worst of both.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #6

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp for a bright open layout with more windows and headroom. Scamp for the lack of panel seams and fewer leak points. Scamp for better long-term retained value. Scamp for flexible build options (including deletes if you want to leave space for a desired appliance upgrade not offered by Scamp, such as a 12V fridge or composting toilet).

Nucamp for a larger main bed, maybe? Not sure how bed size compares to the standard or big bed options in the Scamp. The optional split bed layout allows longways sleeping, maybe? Nucamp for better ground clearance for off-highway use.

Not sure how I feel about the cassette toilet. It’s part traditional RV toilet and part porta-potty. Depending on your personal preferences, it’s either the best of both or the worst of both.
Thanks Jon, very useful.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Late thought… beware price comparisons. Since almost everything is optional on a Scamp, the final as-built price can be a lot higher than the base price. For example, the base price on the front bath layout does not actually include the front bath, just an empty room. Last time I checked, it was a couple thousand to add the toilet, shower, and necessary plumbing upgrades, including a water heater. I think the package included a few other things as well, so it was still a good deal, but it’s on top of the base price.

Scamp has made a lot of changes recently, so you would do well to get a current pricing list from their sales department. Then you can compare apples to apples.

There is no discounting with Scamp. Not sure about the dealer-sold Nucamp. Pandemic demand has given dealers the upper hand, but in normal times, discounts were almost a given.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:09 PM   #8

Name: Minnesotan
Trailer: Considering a 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Scamp vs Tab 320

WOW is this a timely conversation. I considered a Scamp in 2018 but was turned off by the rat fur, the crank windows and some missing options that were standard on other trailers (and I see Scamp has now added). Ended up going with a NuCamp Tab 320 and camped in it for an entire season in 2019. Loved the Alde heat system that was whisper quiet, sipped propane, and used very little battery. It was easy to tow with no sway or blowouts and was well made except for a leak at the brake light that resulted in the trailer being sent back to NuCamp for extensive repairs.

So, why am I reconsidering a Scamp and signing onto this forum tonight? Because the “European style” windows do not keep out mosquitos and noseeums. I sustained hundreds of bug bites in one night during a northern MN June trip and had a systemic inflammatory response resulting in two surgeries.

These European window screens do not seal along the sides and they are pleated with a cord running through the center with holes large enough to admit bugs. These windows are used by several trailer manufacturers and all the user groups report unrelenting bug issues.

So I’m back to considering a Scamp and doing research. Glad this forum is still here!
Minnesotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:05 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When I was shopping I found the T@B very appealing, though the headroom was a little low. But for longevity molded fiberglass is hard to beat. Once bonded, the shell is one piece. Leaks occur only where there are openings in the shell; windows, lights, etc. Any stick built has numerous joints, all continually vibrated as you go down the road. All potential leaks. Often hard to detect until the damage is done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20211101_054958.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	143983
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:37 AM   #10

Vermont
[

So, why am I reconsidering a Scamp and signing onto this forum tonight? Because the “European style” windows do not keep out mosquitos and noseeums. I
These European window screens do not seal along the sides and they are pleated with a cord running through the center with holes large enough to admit bugs. These windows are used by several trailer manufacturers and all the user groups report unrelenting bug issues.

Very useful comment. I will head over to the TAB forum and search this question. Will report back.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotan View Post
…the “European style” windows do not keep out mosquitos and noseeums. I sustained hundreds of bug bites in one night…
I wonder how much better a Scamp would be in the same conditions? Against mosquitos, maybe, but I’ve heard the noseeums can get through standard window screens used by Scamp and most other RV makers. And there can be small gaps in various places. At least the new door design (2021) should be a tighter fit than the old one.

Tent makers use a different, much finer screening material to keep teeny bugs out.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I wonder how much better a Scamp would be in the same conditions? Against mosquitos, maybe, but I’ve heard the noseeums can get through standard window screens used by Scamp and most other RV makers. And there can be small gaps in various places. At least the new door design should be a tighter fit than the old one.

Tent makers use a different, much finer screening material to keep teeny bugs out.
Watch for gaps at the door too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:21 PM   #13

Name: Minnesotan
Trailer: Considering a 13' Scamp
Minnesota
I've lived in MN for 20 years and have never had biting flies or noseeums get through my conventionally screened windows at home and have also taken many canoe and backpack trips in the BWCA tent camping without issues. I was hoping conventionally screened RV windows would be better protection than the european style RV windows which don't seal at the sides. I was hoping to move to a small trailer now that I'm in my mid 60's and extend the camping season especially now that wildfires/wildfire smoke has become a yearly issue in the northwoods.
Minnesotan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp