2012 Scamp Rear Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #1

Name: Jonie
Trailer: Scamp 16'
British Columbia
2012 Scamp Rear Window

The rear window on our 2012 Scamp slides open and I would like to know how to remove the sliding portion of the window so I can clean 9 years worth of gunk from the tracks and from the strip that overlaps the stationary part of the window. I have tried sliding the window all the way open and lifting up on it which is the normal way of lifting out a sliding window but that does not seem to work in our case. Am sure one of you will be able to solve my problem!
Many thanks!
jonieforan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You don't need to remove the glass to clean under the track but you do need to open it all the way, then simply lift the bottom track from the point furthest from the glass. do not remove the track.
First clean the window through the drains using a wire or zip tie and water until you get clean flow if possible.
PM me if you would like more detailed information.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
It is not very hard to remove the whole sliding pane.

First slide it open.

Then carefully lift the end of the bottom rubber channel.

Slide both the pane and the channel back a bit.
Slide the glass pane only to fully open again.
Repeat as needed.

When the rubber piece is out the pane comes out easily (it drops into the metal frame channel and swings inboard).

When the moving pane is out you can really clean the frame and also rinse the rubber channel and its fuzzy surface.

Replace it step by step in reverse order.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
A Youtube video would be fantastic!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: Ned
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 13D & 2016 Highlander
Iowa
It looks like this video explains a way to clean the window track and weep holes.

GpaNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaNed View Post
It looks like this video explains a way to clean the window track and weep holes.

Great video, but that guy started with a relatively clean tray...
Heck, you gotta get the mud, sticks, and leaves out of there before you even open the Q-tips!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
He needs to invest in a tripod, or even a monopod.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #8

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Thank you GpaNed! Exactly what I needed to see.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Great video, but that guy started with a relatively clean tray...
Heck, you gotta get the mud, sticks, and leaves out of there before you even open the Q-tips!
Good point, Floyd. The first time I cleaned my window frames and channels on a ten years old Scamp was exactly what you describe. Pulling the rubber pieces and rinsing them in a bucket removed a pile of mud and, I guess, well composted leaves. After that, whenever I wash the Scamp, I spray water from a hose into one weep hole and look for that stream flowing out of the other one, until that flows clean. Using peroxide does not make much sense.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Good point, Floyd. The first time I cleaned my window frames and channels on a ten years old Scamp was exactly what you describe. Pulling the rubber pieces and rinsing them in a bucket removed a pile of mud and, I guess, well composted leaves. After that, whenever I wash the Scamp, I spray water from a hose into one weep hole and look for that stream flowing out of the other one, until that flows clean. Using peroxide does not make much sense.
But when you have no idea where to begin, it was a darn good video! I had no idea that you had to pull the rubber piece out. Thought you just cleaned out the weep holes. Been RVing for a long time and no one ever showed me!

Tags
scamp