Scamp home comming dump fee?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #21

Name: Melissa
Trailer: In the market
TN
I actually have come across quite a few pay showers over our many years of camping. Especially out west and several in southeast.
If they automatically include it in camp site, what about those campers like ours...we have a gray water tank only and we can use a toilet to dispose.
All of my tent camping life, I saw the rates tenfold for I also paid for upgrades even if I didn't use electricity. In fact, I rarely used electricity because only when pay phones disappeared did I resort to cell phones.
I am hopeful my rates don't increase for a service I won't use������
For those that disposed of haz mat, that is horrible!- environmental and safety wise!
Happy camping, guys!
Melissa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Does seem a little high. But it is what it is. One thing to remember is that there have been a quite a number of cases of people dumping hazmat in free dump stations. And that can get VERY EXPENSIVE with no way to identify who. (Which is probably why they did it). That is one of the reasons for the charge in general. Then they can track who.
Not in this case.... the dump station had an honor box to put the money in.
No attendant or oversight. We found it clean and left it clean.
I don't buy the hazmat hype as being significant, nor is the dumpstation "free" when it is included in the campsite fee structure.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #23

TN
Woops! I misunderstood! I thought some were disposing of hazmat materials into dumping stations! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 07-29-2022, 07:03 AM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa T View Post
Woops! I misunderstood! I thought some were disposing of hazmat materials into dumping stations! Thanks for the clarification!

Was talking about in general --- sorry. One state that had free dump stations at some rest stops and parks had about 4 of them end up full of PCBs. Which then went into a septic system that then fed them out into the leach field and so all of that had to be removed and hauled off and disposed of as hazmat. So they pretty much instantly closed all of the rest. :-(
computerspook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Perhaps they could develop an electric meter that charges by the amount used per hour. That may equalize the power eaters vs the power scrimpers......
Old 08-03-2022, 07:28 AM   #26

TN
I guess human nature for some is to mess it up for the rest of us trying to abide by rules!
PCB's are a pretty "uh oh" indeed!

I just know I didn't use any electricity for years until cameras went to charging batteries while camping. Before then, I used restroom plug if available.

It's kinda a catch-22... It's that I want affordable on my pocketbook and others, but I would like to de-select those who are not taking care of the nature or facilities as they use. ( Haha...I know. My little world syndrome!. )
Old 08-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #27

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps they could develop an electric meter that charges by the amount used per hour. That may equalize the power eaters vs the power scrimpers......

THAT is something that I have thought a million times over the years, especially in our little campers. Without A/C, as we are, our use of electricity is minimal. Seems totally unfair for us to pay the same price per night as a 50' super-rig, running numerous televisions, A/C, etc. etc.

A metered system would be 100% preferred by us.

Back in the early 00's, we were staying at a campground in the Outer Banks, a small private one. The lady owner had installed meters on each power pedestal. And she read the meter upon checkin and checkout, and billed accordingly. Said that she was trying to discourage folks from leaving 2-3 AC units running all day while they were off exploring.

Our bill on checkout after staying for 4 days----$2.05

Food for thought.....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
THAT is something that I have thought a million times over the years, especially in our little campers. Without A/C, as we are, our use of electricity is minimal. Seems totally unfair for us to pay the same price per night as a 50' super-rig, running numerous televisions, A/C, etc. etc.

A metered system would be 100% preferred by us.

Back in the early 00's, we were staying at a campground in the Outer Banks, a small private one. The lady owner had installed meters on each power pedestal. And she read the meter upon checkin and checkout, and billed accordingly. Said that she was trying to discourage folks from leaving 2-3 AC units running all day while they were off exploring.

Our bill on checkout after staying for 4 days----$2.05

Food for thought.....
Metered electricity requires more infrastructure and billing complexity. It works great for long term stays (like snowbirds).
There are already two tiers (30A and 50A service) with separate rates in most places. Adding a third (20A) rate could be a great idea at a lower rate.
My 13D works fine on 20A and it is very well equipped.
Coleman MiniMach is only 7200BTU... about half a regular RV A/C.

Next year at ScampCamp there will be the regular charge for a site with hook-ups (electricity, water, and dump access) PLUS an additional charge of $7 for electricity.
Maybe the extra charge should go entirely on the 50A service for Bulgemobiles with two 14000BTU A/Cs towing a Tesla?

Whatever it is... I think we will have greater issues than site rates in our future plans for camping trips.

We can always stop at a Holiday Inn and pay a "Bed Occupation Tax" of an extra $15 after $125 a night plus tax in Podunktown.

That might lend a little perspective!

Also I like to average my "per night" stay over the whole trip,
which includes those $0 "in transit" nights. That helps salve the burn.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:02 AM   #29

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We can always stop at a Holiday Inn and pay a "Bed Occupation Tax" of an extra $15 after $125 a night plus tax in Podunktown.
HEY! Some are (OK,..pretend to be) offended by any derogatory reference to our Podunk.
https://www.google.com/search?client...q=Podunk%2C+MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Is this correct? Information says "A dumping station is on site, as well, for $10 per dump."
This will be the first time ever that I have had to pay extra to dump at a paid campground. I hope that I misunderstand.
Check with the campground directly as to whether the $10 is for non-guests that want a place to dump after their boondock and before getting home. The statement might be informative to those campers, but causes confusion to those staying in that might have a dump fee calculated into their site fee structure.
Or it really might be a $10 fee each dump regardless of site occupancy. Ask there, not here. We can only guess.

Tags
scamp