Bigfoot compared to Escape - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Carol. If I was looking to buy a Bigfoot 17... THAT would be the floorplan I would want. Oh wait! That floorplan is kinda like the Escape 5er... imagine that
Yup imagine that!

John, trust me it isnt any easier to find a nice used Bigfoot or an Escape in Canada than it is in the US. They are snow birds and tend to congregate in warmer climates. Cant tell you how many Canadian's end up doing the 3000 mile round trip to buy a Bigfoot down south and repatriate it to its home country.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #22

Name: Jay
Trailer: Currently searching for...
Oregon
Consider bed size when choosing between the three Bigfoot 17.5 floorplans. The bed in my 17.5G is a narrow 78 x 42 inches. I plan to modify it this winter by adding a fold-down or slide-out plywood wing to the bed.
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Moeller View Post
Consider bed size when choosing between the three Bigfoot 17.5 floorplans. The bed in my 17.5G is a narrow 78 x 42 inches. I plan to modify it this winter by adding a fold-down or slide-out plywood wing to the bed.
Yup the small bed sizes in the Bigfoot 17.5 is the "one" item I am not overly sold on..... which keeps me going back to looking for an Escape...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #24

Name: Jay
Trailer: Currently searching for...
Oregon
Beside "build quality", the big factor in my decision to purchase the Bigfoot was the relatively spacious interior. There is room to play cards and converse with friends on rainy Oregon camping trips.
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The skinny beds are endemic in many FGRV's. Here is the very one I saw at Pomona a week ago. It's still available:

NEW 17.5 Ft Front Bed Bigfoot Trailer- los angeles-Pomona, CA | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

BUT WAIT: There is a used 90 something 17' BigFoot in the Las Vegas Craigslist for around $7200.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #26

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Carol, I sleep alone (plus I'm small) so bed size is a non issue for me. I would take width over length any day if a feeling of spaciousness in a "white tube" was important -- but that's just because of how my brain is wired to interpret space. I'd absolutely love a Bigfoot 17. I was inside one about a year ago and it blew me away in terms of perceived spaciousness as compared to an adorable Casita 17 I'd also recently visited.

It's wonderful there are so many choices and price points available to us egg lovers. My Scamp 16 works out well for me, but only because it's floorplan #4. Since I couldn't afford a Bigfoot, I got the Scamp and have managed to make it "mine" in all important respects -- despite its diminished size.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Boy am I glad I read this thread. I WAS looking for a 21' Bigfoot. The only one in the Trailer Weights in the Real World is enormously heavy. I guess I won't as my 3/4 ton won't handle it.

Bigfoot is solidly at the end of the list.
We pull our 21 ft. Bigfoot with a Toyota Sequoia, which handles it quite nicely. A 3/4 ton is not required.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #28

Registry
I hear you Sharon - I have the 16 Scamp floor plan #4 as well and its pretty spacious when I camp on my own (about 50% of the time) especially the bed. It can start to feel pretty cramped when my partner joins me for a 3 week or more trip though. I go into an Escape 17 and it just feels much bigger due to its straighter walls and the extra foot - but then you go into a 17.5 Bigfoot and it feels like a palace .... they all have their plus and minuses though. Yup making it your own is very important to how it feels at the end of the day.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #29

Name: Dany
Trailer: Bigfoot
Quebec
Real-life ownership of a Bigfoot

My wife and I have owned a 2500 series 22 foot Bigfoot trailer for the last 5-6 years. It has been through tens of thousands of kilometers, coastal and mountainous. We have camped through the worse rainstorms, snowstorms, and driest heats. To this day, it has never failed us.
Our Bigfoot is solidly built on an oversize trailer frame, with a thick fiberglass shell to guarantee insulation from inclement weather. 18 years after its manufacture, every single service and item in the Bigfoot is perfectly functional. We have added a large, 500 W solar panel and an extra battery to provide us with autonomy when boondocking. Aside from a few gelcoat repairs and yearly waxing, the Bigfoot has been a dream to own.
We have always towed it with a V6 Toyota Tacoma, currently a 2016 model year, and have never found the Bigfoot too heavy. It is a heavy trailer and the streamlining is about equivalent to a mountain face, but given time, the V6 Tacoma will pull that trailer up any hill. Going down, the electrical breaks do a fantastic job of keeping that mass under control.
We have never owned an Escape; this aims at reassuring potential Bigfoot owners that a three-quarter ton pickup truck will definitely tow a 22 foot Bigfoot trailer anywhere across North America. Higher revs, greater gas consumption, slower speed? Sure. But given that less than 20% of our truck usage is spent towing a trailer, the fuel savings over the rest of the year make up for the greater consumption when we are camping.
dsalvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #30

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The mpg difference may matter, but I don't think so. I guess I should pull a Scamp or Casita 16' or 17' to compare to my Bigfoot before having an opinion...

I tow with a V6 Tacoma, the older small version, 3.4L. It tows great, except in a headwind. Except in headwinds or a lot of town driving, I get 14mpg towing. That's really not bad. Especially considering my truck only gets 19mpg unloaded.

The spaciousness is the reason I got a Bigfoot. Nothing else compares in the fiberglass world. I live in mine in the summers, so the extra space is key, for me.

I've never preferred the center bath models for that reason. I mean you're still getting way more space than with the egg-shaped trailers, but all the floor space in the center of a Gaucho model is what I love. The center bath feels more cramped, but again, only compared to the Gaucho. Compared to an egg, the center bath is still really spacious.

But the Gaucho is really open feeling.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape