RVers Boondocking Policy from Escapees - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Water is our most precious resource, so I expect that more and more composting toilets will be used. Tons of info on the internet in addition to the excellent article linked in by Justus C.

Also, those using composting toilets won't be putting their dirty sewer hose over the fresh water outlet on their RV site to wash it out before leaving. I have seen that many times. RVs can have black water leaking from the tank or hose, and leave a contaminated mess for people and pets to walk through. Ever see them driving away with it dripping? Many dump stations have closed due to people leaving messes behind. RV toilets can be pretty gross, I have watched people contaminate one thing after another after touching their crappy sewer hose to include the public door handles in the RV park. Wash your hands and clean off that fresh water spigot!

It all comes down to being responsible with what you have or not.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
The composting process would finish in the campground's compost pile. No waiting involved.
wild animals will come and get into a compost pile to eat human feces. It is not a good solution in bear country.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:56 PM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Trash is filled with poopy diapers from infants and incontinent adults.
The poop from those diapers is supposed to be flushed down the toilet before the diaper is placed in the trash.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
RVers Boondocking Policy from Escapees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Water is our most precious resource, so I expect that more and more composting toilets will be used.
I was just listening to an NPR piece yesterday morning. The city of Prescott, Arizona pumps the water used in sewage treatment back into the underground aquifer that supplies the area (after treatment, of course). It’s part of the city’s efforts to meet a mandate to return as much water to the aquifer as it takes out by 2025.

Home composting toilets in rural and semi-rural areas may work at small scale. But it won’t work in cities, it won’t work at scale, and it doesn’t work when you’re on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The poop from those diapers is supposed to be flushed down the toilet before the diaper is placed in the trash.
Whether that commonly happens is another matter... In any case, diapers remain contaminated, and trash workers must handle appropriately. That was the point. No one is being blind-sided by fecal contamination in the solid waste stream, as Steve suggested.

I’m still of the opinion the public sewage system is better equipped to handle human waste in quantity both safely and environmentally responsibly. I won’t debate the best way to get it from your trailer into the sewer system. Every method (black tank, cassette toilet, porta-potty) is subject to mishandling. We do it by carrying it inside our bodies from our campsite to the nearest toilet. Based on the condition of some campground bathrooms, that method is subject to mishandling, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
How do you rationalize putting human waste in an RV composting toilet and then three days later emptying the toilet ( Long before any composting has taken place ) , putting the toilets contents into a bag and then depositing the bag in the trash ?
To me then the “ Composting Toilet “ is nothing more than a porta potty whose contents has been disposed of improperly

I’ve seen people dump their porta potty in a shower stall at a state park
I guess they should be praised because they didn’t dump it on the ground or in the dumpster .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, escape