Amerigo Threshold Gap Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Amerigo F-16 1978?
New Hampshire
Registry
Amerigo Threshold Gap Issue

Hello Amerigo Friends,
So I am back to installing the flooring in the Amerigo.
Now that I have the plywood cut and fitted I noticed the fiberglass shell does not line up with the plywood as I thought it would. I can see some screw holes below the the cutout but I do not recall any wood being back there.
I am considering gluing and screwing some wood behind the threshold and up into the ply flooring as well as bring the glass up to the top of the plywood. (See pencil lines on the jamb)
Thank you in advance....
Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8166.jpg   IMG_8165.jpg  

IMG_8164.jpg  
JonnyX151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Jonathan, If I recall correctly your FG-16 was stripped down to the outer shell including the ceiling panel? If so you may have to jack up/support the ceiling and see if that helps close up the gap you have on the left side of your lower door opening.
Your door and door opening is a little different than mine. I have an aluminum frame that helps support the door opening and a contoured door. It looks like yours has a molded in setback and a flat panel door. Is there any structual wood to support the door frame on yours? I know on mine the wood was pretty much rotted to nothing.

I think you have the right idea of adding a piece of treated wood to support the lower door opening to the floor.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #3

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Amerigo F-16 1978?
New Hampshire
Registry
Hello SteveV,
Thank you for responding to my thread. I did jack up the upper deck of the unit using the the frame as support, with no additional relaxing of the gap. I even tried jacking up the lower belly but it lifted the entire hull off the frame so it seems as if I am stuck with what is. I was assuming those holes should have lined up with the plywood, that seemed like the logical place during construction. I hope when I fix this issue I do not discover later on why is was this way!! LOL
I no longer have the door supports installed they were rotted as well, I kept what was left as a pattern when needed. I do have a molded in setback however my door is made of some sort of vinyl, filled with rigid foam and has a bump-out across the middle to match the belly band.
I don't know if the door helps with the year of MFG. It was sold to me as a 1978, I am beginning to believe it is more like 1971-72.
I started a gallery of photos for all to follow along or to reference to help with questions.....

Thank you
Jonathan
JonnyX151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo