1977 trillium update/repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
1977 trillium update/repair

I'm deciding to start myself a thread over here as i've just been posting updates on the "referral" thread for my new trailer, and don't really want to junk that area up.

That thread can be seen here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-65222.html

Anyway i picked up this 1977 4500 a couple weeks ago, it was in respectable shape other than the cracked roof from an incident with a tree. (there are some before pictures in that referral thread)

Here is the trailer when i picked it up, 300km from home, so before moving it i repacked the bearings and swapped on some new rims/tires

Once home i started digging in (sorry not good at taking progress pictures) i pulled the tape off and took an angle grinder with a 40 grit flapper disk to grind out the damaged areas, this picture was taken with about 3 layers of new glass installed, it took about 6 layers, then some bondo work and sanding to get it "acceptable" to me

At the same time my significant other started on interior work, cleaning the trailer completely and removing everything possible. We've picked up new material for curtains (including blackout shades), Denim for cushions, she is working on the sewing required to put that together.
dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
I spent the weekend masking and painting the interior, started by wiping it all down with acetone, and coating the storage areas with rubberized rocker guard making them easier to clean. For the interior i went with pure white semigloss paint, in an acrylic enamel. It was thinned about 10% and i sprayed it through my automotive primer gun (2.3mm tip hvlp) After 2 coats it looks like this.

Still looking for a blue that we can agree on for the cabinet doors and table, and need to select a new flooring, Also going to give it a good cleaning and coat of zep to see if i can get the gloss close to matching the repair. The goal is to take it camping the weekend after next, with a long term goal of removing the belly band and fiberglassing that in, and painting the whole trailer over winter.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Baltimore, MD
What tires did you go with? I need to replace mine really badly!!! Did you brush or spray the undercoating material in your lower storage areas? Thats a good idea...I am going to do the same!!! Thanks!!
billiam1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
I put 3 new rims and tires, they are 175/80/R13 on basic white rims, i picked them up from Princess Auto (eq. Harbor Freight in the states) for under $100 each.

The storage areas are sprayed in, the only concern may be that they are "too dark" when sprayed black, but the coating is paint-able if that becomes an issue. Like any other painting the prep/cleaning before will determine the quality of the job afterwards.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Baltimore, MD
Curious...after coating the storage areas, did the interior smell heavily like chemicals?
billiam1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
yes, the interior smelled after spraying, but it didn't last long.

new curtains mocked up, sewn with a blackout material behind them.

floor laid, sink and burners back installed

cabinet doors and hardware are all painted, will take pictures when installed tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
Interior is just about completed, lights all work, couple cabinet doors left to install and i'll be camping. Roll out tomorrow at noon.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

Saskatchewan
First trip out was a success, trailer pulled well and was much more comfortable than tenting.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #9

Saskatchewan
Its almost time for spring camping, so back to working on the Trillium. Successfully lit the furnace and the fridge for the first time in at least 20 years.

One propane tank doesn't give me the redundancy i needed so fabricated a mount for 2 tanks on the front.

2 threaded rod nuts, 2 pieces of 1/2 inch threaded rod, and about 3 feet of small c channel. Welded the nuts to the frame, and notched the C channel to fit the top of the propane tanks.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Looking good!

Did the furnace cycle? That is did the main burner come on, then turn off when it reached temp?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #11

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Looking good!

Did the furnace cycle? That is did the main burner come on, then turn off when it reached temp?
It did, at first i had a hard time lighting it (very windy day) but after bending the thermocoupler up just a hair closer to the pilot light it stayed lit easily, and cycled on and off properly.

I had read a thread you posted in about sheering off the studs when opening the burner box to clean it, but i didn't have any problems, they came right off and after a quick vacuum it was good to light.

I suspect that most of the time i'll use an electric ceramic heater, but for the cold night off grid it will be nice to know it works.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Looks like you got a good one. I am glad it all worked out.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #13

Name: Deirdre
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Dale - do you have any pics of your cabinet doors/hardware? (Or finished interior shots?) Mine are just the original flat thin board that the PO painted - we would like to wallpaper them in the beadboard wallpaper and trim them out but I don't know whether to use existing hardware or change - they are all riveted in place so not sure if I should just paint them and leave them or replace - also the closing latches are pretty yucky - was thinking of replacing them with magnetic closures - any thoughts anyone? Thanks!
littlemisspippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #14

Ontario
Dale - I also noticed that you don't have the wraparound shelving above the dinette area - did you remove it and just not put it back in...I'm debating what to do with mine - would like to freshen it up but not sure if I should start pulling stuff down...
Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #15

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemisspippy View Post
Dale - I also noticed that you don't have the wraparound shelving above the dinette area - did you remove it and just not put it back in...I'm debating what to do with mine - would like to freshen it up but not sure if I should start pulling stuff down...
I'll see if i can snap some new pictures, the hardware turned out really well - i used a hammer finish paint (as the gold/brown was unacceptable to the other half) and changed them all to a silver/black textured. It was very cheap and easy.

Something like this:
RUSTOLEUM | Universal Hammered Antique Pewter | Home Depot Canada

The wallpaper wrapping is a good idea, would be more durable than the paint i used on the doors - it scuffed when i loaded the trailer and things were bouncing around.

There were basic/deluxe models - mine is a base and doesn't have the additional shelves - wish it did!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #16

Saskatchewan
My painted hardware.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #17

Ontario
Very nice - we weren't sure if you could rivet them back in to the same place - I guess you can! The door into the storage under the front bench has a self-closing hinge which I like the idea of - then I can just have a handle on the doors and not worry about the latches. I also noticed in your spraying pics that you hit the top of the counter area as well - how is that holding up? I have been undecided as to whether I will regret that or whether I should install a counter over it - although I kind of like the look of the existing! I'm not sure whether the shelf in my dinette area is original or a PO added it - wouldn't know - my serial no. is 13-1104434. I saw a huge serial no. thread but not sure of the importance of it in the trilly world LOL!!! (can you tell I'm a newbie!!??!!) Thanks for the pics. Boy did you work fast getting it fixed up!!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #18

Saskatchewan
I bought it for my annual company camping trip, so had about 3 weeks to get it ready. My wife took care of the sewing to redo the interior and i tackled the rest.

Pulled it out last night and got it back into the garage - going to overhaul the light wiring and add a 12v battery to the tongue. Also have ordered LED replacements for all my interior lights.

First shot with the new tow vehicle. Loving my grandpa truck.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemisspippy View Post
my serial no. is 13-1104434. I saw a huge serial no. thread but not sure of the importance of it in the trilly world LOL!!! (can you tell I'm a newbie!!??!!)
Deirdre, I started the serial number list because I purchased a Trillium 1300 that could not possibly be a 1979, as advertised:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-53654.html
It turns out to be a 1972. But hey, what is seven years, plus or minus?

I wanted a way to get an idea of the year of a Trillium from the serial number. Yours for instance fits in the 1976 range. Now that I know the serial number, if you post pictures of your trailer, then it will end up on the list as well.

It has turned into a research project of sorts. I now can identify most years based on how a trailer was built. Though, I still run across trailers I can't identify.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #20

Ontario
So Dave, was the wraparound shelving above the dinette area original to the '76 or did a PO install - also, would mine have had a heater - didn't come with one. Have to figure out how to add pics from my desktop and will post.

Tags
trillium