1977 trillium update/repair - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Shelves, fridge, heater, kitchen window, door window, doors in gaucho,..... these were all options.

As for posting pictures:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post217275
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #22

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemisspippy View Post
So Dave, was the wraparound shelving above the dinette area original to the '76 or did a PO install - also, would mine have had a heater - didn't come with one. Have to figure out how to add pics from my desktop and will post.

When I got my '75 I thought maybe the PO had taken out the furnace. While looking at the specs sheet posted in the closet I noticed that a furnace wasn't listed. Sooo, it never had one to begin with maybe check there to see what it came with

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #23

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Got my battery box installed last evening - went with a Minn Kota group 27 Trolling motor box - specifically because it gives me battery status, external connections for charging, cigarette lighter ports for accessories.

Also replaced all my interior lights with LED pads, output is comparable and they should help reduce my draw on the battery

dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #24

Alberta
Registry
Could you please post a link to your battery box?
Old 05-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #25

Saskatchewan
The box can be found here:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001...pf_rd_i=915398

I'm figuring long term i'll be adding suitcase solar, and i can already charge off the generator - so having external terminals really sold me on it.

I mounted it on the tongue - welded 2 C channel braces and mounted it to that - also replaced the hand crank with one that turns from the side so it clears. (i'll try and remember to snap pictures) The downside of the battery box and dual propane mounts is significantly more tongue weight - but since i'm pulling with a half ton now i don't really mind.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #26

Saskatchewan
Quick shot of the propane mounts before i painted them black.

welded nuts to the frame, some threaded rod, and a piece of C channel (notched for the top of the tanks) holds the 2 tanks solidly in place on the original tray.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #27

Saskatchewan
Here is a shot of the tongue with battery box and propane installed.

and a shot before heading out for the weekend. 600km hauling (16l/100km average) and a great time in the bush riding bikes!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Doesn't your battery box interfere with your jack handle?
Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #29

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Doesn't your battery box interfere with your jack handle?
Yup, but my jack was pretty well seized so i have a side crank one to install in its place.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #30

Saskatchewan
Had the bikes and camper out again this weekend. Great trip out.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #31

Name: Tim
British Columbia
Dale,
Sorry to start up the old thread again, but I see there is going to be some competition on the purchase of your trailer. My wife and I currently have a '73 Trillium 1300, we love camping but find the trailer just slightly on the small side so we are in the market for a 4500.
I think your trailer is awesome and exactly what we are looking for, we are near Nelson BC and would drive to Saskatoon in a heartbeat to purchase a trailer such as yours.
I'm not sure how you are going to select the lucky camper, but can I send you a down payment ? The rest would be due when we pick it up.
Thanks for your time.
Tim
Tim from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #32

Name: Logan
Trailer: Shopping
Alberta
We have been keeping an eye out for a while now and are hoping to find a nice trill for the upcoming season. We have a number of weddings and family functions to go to and it would be perfect for us and the pup. I'd be happy to drive out from Lethbridge and pick it up any time. Or I have some friends in Saskatoon that could stop by on our behalf.

Let me know if this works for you and we can exchange contact info. I can't seem to figure out how to send a private message on here.

P.S. Tim, you seem to be ahead of me at every turn haha. If you happen to be the lucky one that gets this trailer please keep me in mind for your 1300.
Whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
To send PMs go the the member avatar, left of his message, and select appropriate action.
But, as last post was May of 2015, I doubt you will get a response.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Glenn, I don't think the forum allows a person with only 2 postings to send a PM.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not sure if FGRV has PMs set up the same as the Escape Forum. Escape Forum requires ten posts, I think. Don't know the reasoning behind the policy either.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #36

Name: Ian
Alberta
Registry
My wife JoAnn and I are now the proud owners of this little unit. Although it seems quite solid, the belly band and windows were siliconed at some point and have been leaking. I found water under one of the cushions and the wooden floor. So both are gone. The white interior paint is peeling, and...let's just say that there is a fair amount to do, as it is far from pristine.

We plan to start the rehabilitation by getting a new axle with brakes, on the advice of many FGRV members. Then we will go from there.
Ian Hepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #37

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hepher View Post
My wife JoAnn and I are now the proud owners of this little unit. Although it seems quite solid, the belly band and windows were siliconed at some point and have been leaking. I found water under one of the cushions and the wooden floor. So both are gone. The white interior paint is peeling, and...let's just say that there is a fair amount to do, as it is far from pristine.

We plan to start the rehabilitation by getting a new axle with brakes, on the advice of many FGRV members. Then we will go from there.
I'm sad to hear its had water issues, i really miss this trailer.

I would have run tape around all the windows and band to get even lines and used a non silicone caulk - i wouldn't put silicone on fiberglass as that can be a nightmare if painting or repairing down the road - it likely doesn't last as long as silicone and should be redone yearly.

The "right" way to fix it would be to remove the windows, check for rot in any of the wood where they mount and redo the butyl sealant around them.

I don't remember it having problems with the belly band pulling away from the body, i would attempt to patch it up if still tight, but if the clips have rusted and it starts pulling away the right fix is to remove the band entirely - i did one this winter and it was a large job but the end result is very nice.

I went through the bearings yearly and inspected the frame, it had a better repair job on the fish plates than the other ones i've seen - a new axle is a bonus, it did have the mounting holes for brakes on the stock axle so as long as the rubber bushings are ok and the tires didn't wear funny (as in its still pulling straight) you could add brakes to the existing axle for very little money.

Good luck in your modifications, i hope you start a thread so we can follow along!

Old 09-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #38

Name: Ian
Alberta
Registry
Follow up to previous owner's comments

You are the previous owner? Wonderful to know; I've been reading your posts over the last few weeks! Thanks for your contributions to my growing knowledge.

I find it a bit odd that the belly band required silicone after all the work that you did. I wonder who did that - it looked quite old, as in years. Perhaps it is more rainproof than it appears; I've covered all the obvious holes with electrical tape to keep more water out as a temporary measure, and judging from the weather, the temp. fix will be tested. Perhaps the leak is from somewhere else - I'll soon find out! (the photos you uploaded below, with the

in terms of the frame, I did notice welded plates where the frame bends towards the tongue. They still look to be strong and in excellent shape. And it's good to know about the axle - although the trailer seemed very bouncy, suggesting perhaps not much give in the rubber. It would be a bonus if we didn't have to replace the axle.

I really appreciate you weighing in, and will see if I can figure out how to start a new thread as you suggest.
Ian Hepher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium