Trillium 1300 suspension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: rich
Trailer: in the market
Indiana
Trillium 1300 suspension

Hi All,
We have a trillium 1300 and would like to know if any of the fb trailers have suspensions?
Can a suspension and brakes be added ? What type.
What would be the cost?
I would guess it is safer that way?
Is it unsafe to not have trailer brakes?
Ah,so many questions?

Thanks,

Rich
rjannunziata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Trillium and many others use a torsion axle, like Boler, Scamp, Casita and many more). You can buy a new axle with brakes.

My 1977 Trillium 1300 did not come with brakes. If I tow it behind my Honda Element brakes are required. Behind my F150 I don’t need them.

Given my axle is 41 years old, it’s due for replacement. When I get a new one it will have brakes.

In an emergency situation trailer brakes can be wonderful IF you know how to apply them. In the world of towing, stopping quickly and smoothly is more important than accelerating.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: rich
Trailer: in the market
Indiana
any idea where to get the parts?

thanks,
Rich
rjannunziata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You can buy Dexter axles almost anywhere. Google will get you options, I’d buy local, not internet. Find a welder FIRST.

Almost every garden trailer you see on the road has a Dexter axle.

Around here, don’t go to an RV place, go to someone who builds and repairs utility trailers
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
When I replace the axle on mine, I went up to a #3500 axle.
I also modified the frame so that I could install it with the arms in the 'trailing' configuration, plus a added a bit extra of 'down angle', for extra clearance.

I tow with an F150 so did not get an axle with brakes.
However, since many people use smaller vehicles, I am considering adding brakes over the winter.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
I tow with an F150 so did not get an axle with brakes.
However, since many people use smaller vehicles, I am considering adding brakes over the winter.
Good idea Min, brakes are only a plus no matter the size.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
You can buy Dexter axles almost anywhere. Google will get you options, I’d buy local, not internet. Find a welder FIRST.

Almost every garden trailer you see on the road has a Dexter axle.

Around here, don’t go to an RV place, go to someone who builds and repairs utility trailers

I replaced the axle on my boler last year, I contacted Dexter in Calgary and told them I need an torsion axle for my boler they knew exactly what I needed after we confirmed all measurements. I called them on a Monday I could pick the axle up by Thursday. The axle came un-painted or primed , just raw metal. The axle was just over $600.00 and If I wanted with brakes it would have been $1200.

Torsion Axles
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensie View Post
I replaced the axle on my boler last year, I contacted Dexter in Calgary and told them I need an torsion axle for my boler they knew exactly what I needed after we confirmed all measurements. I called them on a Monday I could pick the axle up by Thursday. The axle came un-painted or primed , just raw metal. The axle was just over $600.00 and If I wanted with brakes it would have been $1200.

Torsion Axles
After hearing that getting brakes with the axle is easier and cheaper, this is evidence of exactly the opposite.

I can buy the backing plates and drums for less then $400 for 10", 3500# brakes, on two wheels, at Standens in Calgary. A $200 savings.

Mensi, could you please provide more details on the axle you were quoted? What is the weight capacity? Is it 2000# or 3500#, or something in between. Were the brakes 7" or 10"? Also, did the non brake axle still have the mounting plate for brakes?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
[QUOTE=rjannunziata;719539]Hi All,
We have a trillium 1300 and would like to know if any of the fb trailers have suspensions?
The torsion axle that came on your trailer IS the suspension and there's no reason to presume it's shot so don't be in any hurry to replace it. (Mines still serving me just fine and its traveled many MANY thousands of miles.) Per brakes, as has already been pointed out those can easily be added by simply replacing the drums, not an expensive or complicated proposition. The brake controller and wiring's a little trickier and will add a couple hundred dollars to the job unless you're an expert do-it-your-selfer.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium