Cadet Pop up Spring Hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Cadet Pop up Spring Hinges

Hello all, I am just starting to get into working on my little Cadet and right out of the gate have hit a rather significant snag. When we purchased it, the seller indicated that all of the hardware was in plastic tubs that were in the camper. Being the trusting souls that we are (read suckers) we believed it, only to find out that there are no lift springs for the pop up. Sort of important, don'tcha know. I have sourced replacements out in Europe, but wondered if anyone here had ever heard of or fabricated replacements themselves. It would be nice to pare down the $200 hit that this will be.

Looking forward to your input, and I will post pictures as I really get into things.
Melissa L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Wink

Hi Melissa; Suggest you check with the PO about the springs. Maybe they were inadvertently omitted. And just maybe, another Ontarian FGRVer lives near the PO, and could pick up the springs on your behalf, and perhaps bring them to Guelph ? We are a friendly lot.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Hi Melissa; Suggest you check with the PO about the springs. Maybe they were inadvertently omitted. And just maybe, another Ontarian FGRVer lives near the PO, and could pick up the springs on your behalf, and perhaps bring them to Guelph ? We are a friendly lot.
Hi Bullfrogeh, I still hope that it was an inadvertant omission, and I have tried several times and in different ways to contact the seller...with no response, I'm afraid. I don't mind the drive, actually. It's not all that far and it would be worth it to me. Unfortunately, I don't recall the address. I am looking forward to meeting other FGRVers once I have my little SeaShell on the road...lots of plans to put into play.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Springs

Check Home Depot they have both push and pull springs
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa L. View Post
Hi Bullfrogeh, I still hope that it was an inadvertant omission, and I have tried several times and in different ways to contact the seller...with no response, I'm afraid. I don't mind the drive, actually. It's not all that far and it would be worth it to me. Unfortunately, I don't recall the address. I am looking forward to meeting other FGRVers once I have my little SeaShell on the road...lots of plans to put into play.
Is there a title with the address?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:32 AM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Is there a title with the address?
No, that was one of the things he found after we had picked up the trailer and was going to get to us but never got back to us on. Frank, thanks for the suggestion. I will check at home depot...never know what might work.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:52 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Hello all, I am just starting to get into working on my little Cadet and right out of the gate have hit a rather significant snag. When we purchased it, the seller indicated that all of the hardware was in plastic tubs that were in the camper. Being the trusting souls that we are (read suckers) we believed it, only to find out that there are no lift springs for the pop up. Sort of important, don'tcha know. I have sourced replacements out in Europe, but wondered if anyone here had ever heard of or fabricated replacements themselves. It would be nice to pare down the $200 hit that this will be.

Looking forward to your input, and I will post pictures as I really get into things.
No worries....
The actual springs that manufactures put into things as hardware components for a travel trailer would have been ordered as a stock item from a catalog. The way to handle finding such a stock item would be to get another Cadet owner to first of all take a photo of their springs for you. Then also have them measure the diameter of the spring plus the length and hopefully if they have calipers to measure the thickness of the wire that makes up the spring. With that information you too can order the springs from a hardware catalog .

I am fortunate that in Seattle, WA USA area we have a local chain of hardware parts store supplier (Tacoma Screw) who have racks filled with all kinds of springs on them ranging in size from lightweight to larger heavy duty use. That meant I had no problems with finding a stock replacement spring for the popup lift mechanism to use on my Trails West Campster.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

Name: Larissa
Trailer: Cadet Predom N126 d,e
Alberta
I'm not sure if you've looked here yet, and I haven't placed an order with them but these sites might help you

Darius - Przyczepy Dariusz Uptas - części do przyczep NIEWIADÓW, KNOTT, ALKO, SPP, FRISTOM
GoMarket.pl

if you do order let me know how it goes!
i'm currently looking for a front window which is going to be so pricey :|

would you be able to take measurements or pictures of your closet area if your Cadet still has one? I need to rebuild mine.

hope those sites help!

- Larissa
Larisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #9

Name: Larry
Virginia
Quote:

I have a 1987 Cadet. I see only cross arms on the pop-up , no springs. I took pictures if you want to see.
3 weeks ago a tree fell through the back window. The tags expired in 2011 , so I havent used it for a while.
apup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larisaur View Post
I'm not sure if you've looked here yet, and I haven't placed an order with them but these sites might help you

Darius - Przyczepy Dariusz Uptas - części do przyczep NIEWIADÓW, KNOTT, ALKO, SPP, FRISTOM
GoMarket.pl

if you do order let me know how it goes!
i'm currently looking for a front window which is going to be so pricey :|

would you be able to take measurements or pictures of your closet area if your Cadet still has one? I need to rebuild mine.

hope those sites help!

- Larissa
Hi Larissa

My Cadet has been gutted, but there is a lovely gentleman that has one in Guelph who has kindly offered me the opportunity to take some pictures of his baby to aid in the restoration of mine. I will try to get his email address and ask if I might be able to pop over and see about getting some data. One thing I might suggest is to go to the ebay uk site...actually log into the UK site if you have an ebay account, and search for freedom trailers. TONS of listings and great pictures on there because these little trailers are still made and readily available. I can tell you that the top of the cabinet goes to about the level of the shelving around the perimeter of the trailer, not quite to the ceiling...and it attaches to the fin on the wall just beside the door. I might have a couple of pictures...but not great ones. I'll have a look for you.

How badly damaged is your front window?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by apup76 View Post
I have a 1987 Cadet. I see only cross arms on the pop-up , no springs. I took pictures if you want to see.
3 weeks ago a tree fell through the back window. The tags expired in 2011 , so I havent used it for a while.
Sorry to hear about your tree mishap. Are you going to repair her? I'd appreciate seeing pictures.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #12

Name: Larry
Virginia
PopTop

Hi,
I will try to add a picture of the lift here. If you want some parts I can dismantle the inside and send it to you. Im afraid the trailer is done.
You might not need the springs. I have no trouble raising the top.
Larry, Fairfax Virginia
Attached Thumbnails
20170509_161519.jpg  
apup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Hi Larissa

My Cadet has been gutted, but there is a lovely gentleman that has one in Guelph who has kindly offered me the opportunity to take some pictures of his baby to aid in the restoration of mine. I will try to get his email address and ask if I might be able to pop over and see about getting some data. One thing I might suggest is to go to the ebay uk site...actually log into the UK site if you have an ebay account, and search for freedom trailers. TONS of listings and great pictures on there because these little trailers are still made and readily available. I can tell you that the top of the cabinet goes to about the level of the shelving around the perimeter of the trailer, not quite to the ceiling...and it attaches to the fin on the wall just beside the door. I might have a couple of pictures...but not great ones. I'll have a look for you.

How badly damaged is your front window?
Hi Melissa

Thank you! seeing those pictures and getting some more information would be super helpful. I will definitely try UK ebay thats a great idea I hadn't thought of. The window is quite bad. It's got 2 huge cracks in it that were repaired with something blue/greenish and then ducttaped over by the previous owner. I've tried to attach a photo here so hopefully it works.

- Larissa
Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #14

Alberta
Trying again on the photo
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4892.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That window looks like it is a flat pane of glass but of course with curved corners. I would check around with various glass companies that replace auto glass and see if they can fabricate to size a replacement piece of glass.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by apup76 View Post
Hi,
I will try to add a picture of the lift here. If you want some parts I can dismantle the inside and send it to you. Im afraid the trailer is done.
You might not need the springs. I have no trouble raising the top.
Larry, Fairfax Virginia
Thank you for your very kind offer. The entire lift mechanism is what I am looking for, x2, and the handles to lift and lower the pop up and the ones on the outside to move it around with.

Before you start pulling her apart though, Larry...I would consider posting her here intact-lots of folks look for these little trailers and you might find someone interested in restoring it. I have seen some absolutely amazing redos on here. If you are serious about parting her out I would again suggest posting on here-and I would like to speak for the side and front windows if they are still intact; the lift mechanisms and handles. I have family in Ohio that you could ship to in order to make it as easy on you as possible. But again, you might just be surprised at the response if you wanted to mess with it and post it here.

If push came to shove I would consider doing a road trip and come to you, too. Fairfax is only about 8 hours from me.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larisaur View Post
Trying again on the photo
Poor little darling. I have found a place in Oshawa that does "plastic welding". I am going to see about them fixing a crack in one of my side windows. The blue green stuff might be fiberglass...I have seen some very good repairs with it along the top edge of the window.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #18

Ontario
All's well that ends well, it seems. I was finally able to connect with my original seller. We got together and not only did I get the springs that I need, he had found some gaskets and the ownership as well.

Additionally, I was able to connect with Larry, (apup76 on this forum) and we worked out a deal for his damaged/destroyed Cadet. Hubby went down today and between them I now have a complete interior and extra parts for my little Seashell.

Thank you so much, Larry, for helping me to be able to restore my little darling.

This is going to be SO helpful in making the process move forward much faster than I originally expected.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #19

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Yay! His camper lives on in your camper like a Hermit Crab!
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Yay! His camper lives on in your camper like a Hermit Crab!
Exactly! I can't wait to get started!

Tags
cadet