Trillium Gaucho mystery?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

Name: g
Trailer: Trillium
CA
Trillium Gaucho mystery??

Sorry for the clickbait title, but I’ve been reading around on gaucho and front dinettes for 1300s and love finding any eccentricities with my little EggScape Pod.

I assumed I had a straight up gaucho, but after seeing some pics, does it appear I have some weird combo? The lower bench is cut like a dinette, but the wall is not decked out for a dinette as I’ve seen in some pics. It just has the wall as do most gaucho set ups (removed gaucho backrest recently, hence this “new” inquiry).

I do know this is likely a 1980 model; perhaps there was some kind of combo job on this one? Dinette option but factory as gaucho? Perhaps this is common and I just haven’t seen it in my limited searching.
Attached Thumbnails
9D0260BB-160B-45E1-8F6B-F55C6718765F.jpeg   0954CD85-C952-4FD7-9206-EFF5AD943BF3.jpeg  

emeraldzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #2

Name: MJ
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Hello Emeraldzippy,

I’m lucky enough to own a ‘79 Trillium 4500 which came with a similar front end.

From what I’ve read, in the late ‘70s Trillium used the same molded piece in the front, whether it was destined to be a front goucho/bunkbed or a true front dinette. Not all of the same pieces. If it was to be a dinette from the factory, it would need the wall piece you mentioned, to attach the table.

On the plus side, fronts like yours (and mine) are much simpler to convert to a front dinette than gouchos from earlier years.

Like yours, my bunkbed/goucho was carefully removed. I was able to use the hinged board covering the gap as an attachment point for a fold down table. I happen to use several small pieces of plywood to accommodate multiple configurations. Made it possible to have a front dinette and keep one bunk.

Attached are a couple of pictures of what worked for me. Wanted something simple and can easily replace the bunkbed/goucho.

Thanks for an opportunity to share some photos

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
B179480A-5EC2-45EE-A218-020FF7B0A6FD.jpg   ED1867FC-92F5-4A16-9B72-5DA106E19939.jpg  

AFBC1041-FBCB-449F-99A4-E541F3525D86.jpg   42F3C648-F087-4B68-9B81-4FB32F8825E6.jpg  

D1E3D3A7-93E8-4DC0-976A-9A0BE795EF4E.jpg  
gtblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:20 AM   #3

Washington
Elsewhere on the site, in his post “Trillium Trailer Difference “ David Tilson had this to say:

“There are three major versions of the floor plan, on both the 1300 and the 4500. The most common is a front gaucho. That is, a couch that turns into a bunk bed. Really good for a couple with up to two kids. There are two versions of this. The pre 1979 version, which has the seat of the gaucho that extends all the way across the front:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post443850
The 1979, and later version that has a gap in the gaucho that, on the front dinette version, is where the people sitting at the front dinette would put their feet:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post519402

After 1979, they made a front dinette version. From that year on, the fibreglass that made up the seat of the front couch was made with a gap in the middle. On a front dinette trailer, a piece of fibreglass was installed from the bottom of the window to the top of the seat. The table was attached to this piece. That way, no holes in the shell were necessary. The table could be lowered to make a single bed. This reduced the number of people that could sleep in the trailer to three. I think of this as the perfect couples trailer. Leave the rear dinette set up as a nearly queen sized bed and a two person dinette up front.“

Hope this is helpful.

MJ
Old 04-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have argued for years that Scamp should do the same. It just seems so common sense. The front dinette conversion is among the most common mods made by owners.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I have argued for years that Scamp should do the same. It just seems so common sense. The front dinette conversion is among the most common mods made by owners.

[_LIKE_] LOL
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Had something similar on our '79 Boler. We have a wood/fiberglass bracket to which we could attach our table support assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (1).jpg   Boler - 1 (9).jpg  

steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtblue View Post
Hello Emeraldzippy,

I’m lucky enough to own a ‘79 Trillium 4500 which came with a similar front end.

Thanks for an opportunity to share some photos

Cheers.
Gtblue that is awesome!! Thanks so much for the pics.

So with that set up now, is the vertical board that the table rests on in a fixed position? Looks like it is, as a dedicated anchor for the table in the UP position. In this case, how is it attached at the bottom? Screwed into the bench?

I wanna see about doing something like that!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #8

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I feel lucky all of a sudden to have this set up! Cheers
Old 04-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
Had something similar on our '79 Boler. We have a wood/fiberglass bracket to which we could attach our table support assembly.
Interesting!!! So the table portion slides into like a groove? Really nice set up!! And I love that boler front window; is it curved?? And do they open? I don’t know if you’ve seen the Happier Camper TC1 but the whole rear “wall” lifts up and open. So cool.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldzippy View Post
Gtblue that is awesome!! Thanks so much for the pics.

So with that set up now, is the vertical board that the table rests on in a fixed position? Looks like it is, as a dedicated anchor for the table in the UP position. In this case, how is it attached at the bottom? Screwed into the bench?

I wanna see about doing something like that!

In the spirit of the site, was great to perhaps be helpful.

The pics I shared are out of order and from various stages of construction, but I’m happy to try a brief description of what I did.

I started with the original piece of 3/4” plywood which came with the trailer, which was attached next to the wall with two plastic OEM hinges. Your pics look similar, except that your plywood looks like it reaches just below the window when folded up, perhaps windows in your year trailer are positioned differently. My original ply hit the bottom of the metal window frame, so I swapped it for a shorter piece that still fit across the gap and rests against the wall, not the window bottom, when folded up.

I used the original hinges on the new plywood. These old hinges may not be up to the task, we shall see. As a spot to put latches, I took another new piece of plywood and copied the original support which held the bunkbed to the wall. It had been screwed into the bottom of the window frame, so I made the new use the same screw holes. (I hate making new holes in my trailer ). I added a metal bracket, made to hold RV tables, across the front of the vertical piece of plywood. At this point, I painted it to sorta match the original interior. It is hinged at the bottom and latched at the top, and can still be folded down.

Next step I fabricated a table out of plywood I had about. The measurements and style, are based on the rear dinette. In order to leave space to “squeeze “ into the corner seat near the kitchen, the table can’t be very long. That lead me to one last piece of plywood, which also spans the gap between the seats, and covers the space the small table doesn’t when setting up a bunk. I believe all the parts can be seen in one or another of the photos.

When wanting to set up a bunk, rather than having to find a spot for the removed table, I’ll use it, and the short strip of plywood (pictured), as the bed base. I’ll leave the hinged piece of plywood folded up vertically and latched below the window. While I’ll lose 2-3 inches of bunk width, in a 4500, there’s plenty of room I think.

If for some reason I took the table out of the trailer, I can still make a bunk with the folded down plywood and the short strip. Clear as mud?

All together I think I used 4 relatively small pieces of plywood, some brackets, a bamboo tray from the thrift store and a used folding table leg. Made it up as I went along, and am mostly happy with the end product. I do have plans to add a narrow shelf, similar to the one above the rear dinette, to the vertical plywood, and to replace the latches. The latches I made are just “ok”. Perhaps I’ll refine it after I complete the long list of trailer projects ahead of me.

Good luck with any projects you undertake.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #11

Washington
Couple more pics to clarify, if needed.

Daytime vs night time photos look like two different trailer interiors.

Also enjoyed the photos of another member’s ‘79 Boler front dinette, love the bright interior. Thanks for sharing.

MJ
Attached Thumbnails
2389F72C-73F2-43D1-9341-5600D7E552AF.jpg   0ED66FDA-CFFD-4F51-A3C3-3AD8167E7D97.jpg  

Old 04-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #12

on Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Interesting!!! So the table portion slides into like a groove? Really nice set up!! And I love that boler front window; is it curved?? And do they open? I don’t know if you’ve seen the Happier Camper TC1 but the whole rear “wall” lifts up and open. So cool.

Yes, the table cantilevers in a groove, but it also slides to the right to make access into the seat on the left much easier.
The front window does not open and there is a curve there. My curtain rods are fiberglass driveway markers which bend easily to follow the curve. Pictures at https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...hlight=steve67
Old 04-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #13

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtblue View Post
Couple more pics to clarify, if needed.

Daytime vs night time photos look like two different trailer interiors.

Also enjoyed the photos of another member’s ‘79 Boler front dinette, love the bright interior. Thanks for sharing.

MJ
Amazing! Those last ones cleared up what my brain was trying to figure out.

Those little plastic hinges are impressive, for being just a tad older than me

And I bet the width is the same, I just happened to replace the interior window frame recently with plastic rot-proof trim from Lowes, which is just a tad more narrow than the original under-foam wood, and it also doesn't have that tapered edge like the wood does.

I'm on the fence about either building some kind of shelving in the nook next to the stove, or doing a dinette like yourself. Maybe both!

Thanks again for your time.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:48 AM   #14

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
Yes, the table cantilevers in a groove, but it also slides to the right to make access into the seat on the left much easier.
The front window does not open and there is a curve there. My curtain rods are fiberglass driveway markers which bend easily to follow the curve. Pictures at https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...hlight=steve67
Really great mods you've done!

Things I'm going to steal:

Fire extinguisher cubby
Stove vent (though I have the jalousie window that will need a tweak)
Flip up metal stove splash guard
Perhaps the magic sliding dinette table

Inspiring. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Really great mods you've done!

Things I'm going to steal:

Fire extinguisher cubby
Stove vent (though I have the jalousie window that will need a tweak)
Flip up metal stove splash guard
Perhaps the magic sliding dinette table

Inspiring. Thanks for sharing!!

Agreed, the mods to Steve67’s Boler are inspiring. Practical and excellent workmanship. Glad (they?) shared the work.

Had considered making my table “slide” by using a drawer glide to attach it instead of an rv table bracket. Not certain if that would work. Steve’s solution works well.

May “steal” some ideas as well.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #16

on Ontario
Registry
Your welcome to them. Glad to help where I can.
One of our objectives was to reduce or keep the weight down. A draw slide is pretty weighty...
Old 04-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #17

CA
I used heavy duty (100lb rate, but that’s in vertical position, I have them horizontal so not expecting much for load bearing...the length is what I needed) drawer slides for my table + leaf mod in the bed/dining area: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...mod-89493.html

Didn’t mind the extra weight because I had got rid of the heavy butcher block table that cracked and replaced with the much lighter 3/4” birch ply, broke even or less on weight I bet. And to be honest it felt like the lazier route, rather than engineering a wood slide/groove system, and more pricey (slides $18 each I think).

Cheers!

Tags
trillium