New bunk in the back. 2004 Trillium. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 10:59 PM   #1

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
New bunk in the back. 2004 Trillium.

Finally got finished with the suspended bunk above the main bed.

Rear of the bunk is hung on hinges and the front of the bunk is suspended by 7/16 threaded rod through the roof. The weight is spread out on the roof via aluminum channel. Solid as a rock.

Now we have a bed for the baby, and a bunk for the preteen. AND we get to keep the bathroom at the front.
Attached Thumbnails
bunk.jpg   roof support.jpg  

Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky0 View Post
Finally got finished with the suspended bunk above the main bed.

Rear of the bunk is hung on hinges and the front of the bunk is suspended by 7/16 threaded rod through the roof. The weight is spread out on the roof via aluminum channel. Solid as a rock.

Now we have a bed for the baby, and a bunk for the preteen. AND we get to keep the bathroom at the front.

Clever idea
Let us know how it works out over time
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Clever idea
Let us know how it works out over time

Thanks, I will.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi Glen, nice clean work. I have a 1978 T4500 and find that I make sure that I don't let any snow build up on the roof. I have supports for the roof when I don't use the trailer. I find the extra room is very convenient over the T1500 but also puts a lot of extra strain on the roof. Let us know how you make out over a season's use?
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #5

Name: Haley
Trailer: Triple E
Saskatchewan
Great idea. I have a '77 SurfSide and 3 year old twins. This has me wondering how I might modify bunks for them once they're a bit older.
SaskCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Alberta
Update

First weekend out with the new bunks worked great. The 10 year old loved having a loft to sleep in. The baby slept great (her mattress is made of sponge from Pelican Cases). The wife loved our newly found space on the extended counter where the 10 yr olds bed used to be.

Also put shelving in the closet so there's even more room to tuck way stuff.

No leaks from the threaded rod coming from the roof. There is butyl tape sandwiched between two washers on either side of the fiberglass.

The aluminum c-channel braces on the roof provide enough support that there is virtually no movement when the bed is being used.

So far so good. The important thing is now I can keep the trailer and not upgrade to a bigger setup to accommodate the kids. The other option was to remove the extended counter and toilet and put in front bunk beds..... We hated that idea of course (we love the counter and flush toilet)

Total cost was $200 ish in wood and fixtures.

We love our new setup.

Tags
trillium