1971 Havasu Fiberglass Camper - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #61

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Don't just get a small generator. Get a small, quiet generator. Honda is the gold standard, but Yamaha makes one, and there are others, including some less expensive knock-offs. I've camped next to a Honda 1000W and could barely hear it running on low to top off the battery. I've also camped with folks running generators that could be heard throughout the whole camp.

There is not much worse than a raucous, construction-grade generator ruining everyone's camping experience.

Prepare for sticker shock. This is one you have to take for the team.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #62

Name: Phyllis
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
Yes- I’ve been researching them. There is no battery and I have no clue how to hook one up. Will I need an adapter to hook into shore power?
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #63

Arizona
Registry
If there is no battery and no place to hook one up (have you checked, or did your RV tech check?), you may have a converter to power a 12V system from the shore power (if your lights have little bulbs like your car, then you have a 12V system). This is one go go over with your tech at some point- let the tech determine what you have and what you need. Older trailers often have very rudimentary electrical systems.

Your shore power cord likely has an oversized 30A plug. You will want to carry an adaptor to plug into a standard 20A outlet, just in case. They're available at many Walmarts, hardware stores, RV stores, or online.

But I'm assuming you will not have hook-ups at the dog events, hence the generator. What will you need to run? That will determine the size generator you need. The small, quiet generators are pretty limited, so you'll want to avoid high wattage appliances (A/C, microwave, anything with a heating element).
Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #64

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
...most things will be in the RAV...
Do be careful, Phyllis. Putting cargo in the tow vehicle reduces its towing and hitch weight capacity. Tow ratings are based on two average adults in the front seats and no cargo in the back of the vehicle.

The issue involves payload and rear axle ratings. Too much weight in the cargo compartment of the vehicle, combined with passengers and the hitch weight of the trailer, can quickly overload the rear axle, causing uneven tire wear and possible suspension damage over time. It can also take enough weight off the front axle to affect steering and braking. Modern independent suspensions are more sensitive to overloading than the old straight axles.

It's generally better to divide cargo between the tug and trailer or better, leave it at home if possible. Cargo in the vehicle should be stowed as far forward as practical to even out the weight distribution between the axles. Cargo in the trailer should be centered over or slightly forward of the axle.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #65

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
need to actually see this stuff

I would seek out someone with all these things you think you need in their camper. you might the next dog show check around find out what you may or not need.

most camper people are very generous with the past experiences and can advise you! For instance Honda gens have been suggested I love them but in order to run an a/c unless its very small is going to take two of them. Starting to get the picture?

this may save you a lot of headaches and money wasted! I think you have a great idea though.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #66

Name: Phyllis
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
Yes- very small floor type Ac. I will ask as I am going to one tomorrow
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #67

Missouri
smal a/c

small a/c like that not much gen. needed. if your seller is honest he can help you a lot.

I tug our 13f scamp with an a/c on top with a 2015 ford edge 2.0 ecoboost it is rated 1500lb I am around 1200 I would say with all our stuff no problems so far!

we drive 55 to 60 no more!

good luck

bob
Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #68

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
Yes- very small floor type Ac. I will ask as I am going to one tomorrow
Check the specs for the unit. How many amps does it draw when running? Appliances with an electric motor, like an A/C, typically draw a surge of power on start-up (like accelerating to merge onto a freeway versus cruising at a steady 65mph). Your generator has to be able to handle that start-up surge.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #69

Missouri
jon if it has one of those little window a/c units you see at walmarts for 100 bux those have little draw to them.

bob
Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #70

Missouri
checking

all I can find is to use on a 15a circuit but you can run other stuff on the same circuit running the a/c. I am betting it runs 10a or less on start up. no doubt the Honda 2000 would handle this easily but I doubt if she needs a/c. I have a 5k window job I can hardly hear the compressor start up or run for that matter.

she will probably be out on a lawn chair until dark then she can fire up a 12v truck fan she will be turning it off in a couple of hours.

in her case I would keep it simple until I learned what was needed and how to keep this running. a generator can be complicated at times and sort of irritate your neighbors!

bob
Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #71

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
When you're parked in a field with those big rigs, or much of anything, really, you will want to watch where their exhaust is going...don't want to wake up dead! CO2 detector would be a good idea!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #72

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
When you're parked in a field with those big rigs, or much of anything, really, you will want to watch where their exhaust is going...don't want to wake up dead! CO2 detector would be a good idea!

Mon
X10 on that!

Except you mean a CO detector. CO2 is carbon dioxide. CO is carbon monoxide. CO2 is what you breathe out and only becomes a problem in high concentrations, which even a modicum of ventilation will prevent. CO is fatal in very tiny concentrations because it wants to grab that missing oxygen from your blood!
Old 03-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If there is no battery and no place to hook one up (have you checked, or did your RV tech check?), you may have a converter to power a 12V system from the shore power (if your lights have little bulbs like your car, then you have a 12V system). This is one go go over with your tech at some point- let the tech determine what you have and what you need. Older trailers often have very rudimentary electrical systems.

Your shore power cord likely has an oversized 30A plug. You will want to carry an adaptor to plug into a standard 20A outlet, just in case. They're available at many Walmarts, hardware stores, RV stores, or online.

But I'm assuming you will not have hook-ups at the dog events, hence the generator. What will you need to run? That will determine the size generator you need. The small, quiet generators are pretty limited, so you'll want to avoid high wattage appliances (A/C, microwave, anything with a heating element).
I would be surprised if a trailer of this size and vintage has 30 amp unless it was upgraded. It is likely a 15 or 20 amp, but time will tell.

I would also expect some kind of 12v system for interior lights, but again, who knows what changes might have been made over time.

On mine the original propane burner and light were removed at some point and the 12 v system expanded (poorly done, I might add) with only a solar panel for charging.

I think we are all anxious for you to get it home so we can help you work on some of the details based on what you find rather than on speculation.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #74

Name: jerry
Trailer: havasu
California
havasu

weighed my havasu today! probably different than your's somewhat? The interior is rebuilt but stock, with different windows, new axel with brakes, I also replaced door with homebuilt one (definitely lighter).......
#1380 total including hitch weight, I do have a battery and propane tank on the hitch. the hitch weight is #180
jerry theros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 PM   #75

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
X10 on that!

Except you mean a CO detector. CO2 is carbon dioxide. CO is carbon monoxide. CO2 is what you breathe out and only becomes a problem in high concentrations, which even a modicum of ventilation will prevent. CO is fatal in very tiny concentrations because it wants to grab that missing oxygen from your blood!
You are quite right! Thank you!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #76

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Anybody know a source of organic air or oxygen?
Old 03-31-2018, 02:34 AM   #77

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Stude, I may have misunderstood. I was referring to a semi truck pulling two trailers, or three trailers behind one semi tractor. In Colorado I frequently see FedEx and UPS pulling triples (3 trailers), always at night. I don't think they are legal during the day.

Getting back to backing up, it is hard for me to imagine a semi backing up 3 connected trailers.

No expert here, but I think I heard about drop yards in each city enroute, very close to the interstates where they drop one trailer at a time, and then reverse the process. 3-2-1, then 1-2-3 roundtrip, returning with empties? overnight. My guess is that semis with 3 trailers are restricted to interstates and within a mile or so of them.

PS, I don't think the second and third trailers connect with the usual pin and 5th wheel. I think they have a metal loop that locks into a jaw. This would seem to provide less control.

I have never seen 5 trailers pulled. I would not want to run into him on a one-lane mountain road. "You back up! ...No, you back up!" Imagine a traffic circle.
:Tom your possible right but we better get off this subject as this has nothing to do with Molded Trailers, sorry to take so long to get back to you as were on the road most of this week.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
havasu