New EggCampers - First Hand Info - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #81

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks, Jim. I guess now what you describe is what I have seen, open the cupboards and one sees the Reflectix in the back of the cupboards. Still seems maybe a little more "hardy" than the others when looking online at the different manufacturers. It is "basic", minimal like me though, "less is more".

Ken C., thanks! I will take a look as I did not know they were making a larger unit.

Not a fan of fabric/carpet on my walls, my ceiling or my floor. Again, "less is more".

I am anxious to see if the new units are the exact same as before or not.

My husband is 6'2", and he can't remember to "duck" all too often as it is! But, he can get stuff way off the top shelf when we shop!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #82

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Dale, we spray painted our cover black (when we were replacing the 5000 btu AC with an 8000 btu). This was a few years ago, and it still looks good.
The black does look nice. Thanks for the idea.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #83

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Pretty sure it would not cool at all without vents. Might not even cool with vents. My Lite House has a little window-style AC under the seats, and a louvered (vented) exterior door over the AC compartment. The one and only time I have used the AC it struggled to emit any cool air operating with the vented outside door closed. After I propped open the compartment door it cooled fine.
In addition to the side vent, our 2010 has a couple 1" (?) diameter holes drilled through the floor just forward of the A/C unit that also allow for air movement (and I assume drainage of condensation - and also allow critter ingress. I didn't know about the holes until I removed the side screen to check out the back side of the A/C unit. I covered the holes with screen door screen to keep the critters out. Humidity in the summer and cold wind in Fall and Spring care not about the screen.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #84

Name: Den
Trailer: EggCamper
Florida
We have a 2009 EggCamper in storage. We plan on selling it this spring. Currently, we are traveling in an Airstream and have not used the Egg for several years. Let us know if you are interested. Thanks & Happy New Year.
Den in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #85

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
We are anxiously watching the site for information. We like the idea of the double shell, and clean walls. No propane isn't a deal breaker for us. I was thinking that it looked for awhile like Scamp, Casita and Escape were going to have competition, but with Lil' Snoozy and Parkliner going down, this would be a great time for EggCamper to make a comeback.

I believe the only other double-shelled being produced is Oliver, and that is a bite "overdone" for our taste and pocketbook.
Lil Snoozy is making a come back as “Snoozy II” by a new owner Wesco (they always made the frames for Lil Snoozy). They should start production soon.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #86

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd A C View Post
We did talk at length about the pros and cons of utilities in general (and propane specifically). We never camp at electric sites as they are generally at RV parks where the trailers are stacked on top of each other like cord wood (not our idea of camping). We tend to go to places with pit toilets and hand pumps for water. We could get by without propane IN the trailer. In 21 years we have never used our stove in our camper. It always mounts outside next to the door under the awning. The new EggCamper guys thought that providing a mount for a propane stove there would make sense. If the propane is only outside, you don't need the stove vent or the CO monitor in the trailer.

We just use ice chests to keep food cold so we don't really need a fridge or ice box. I've never used the water system in our camper. We have two 5 gallon buckets I fill at the campground pump. We don't have a furnace or AC. I eventually realized that the heavy expensive 12 V RV battery was only being used to run a few lights so I took that off and instead got box full of LED puck lights that run on AA's. Much cheaper and easier (and no wiring needed). We have a Thedford Port-a-potty we use for middle of the night needs. It would be nice to have an enclosed space for this, but don't really need an installed toilet. It is very easier to just carry the port-a-potty to the toilet to dump and hose it down in the yard after camping. I would think that would be easier than messing with dump stations and cleaning fixed black water tanks and toilets.

In general, most utilities are things that add cost and require maintenance and repairs. Unfortunately, trailers are not usually designed for people who camp as we do.

I know this is an old post, but you sound like a perfect person to do the utility trailer conversion. There are companies building to suit all aluminum trailer that will build as much or little as you want for cabinets, showers, counter space, your thedford closest wish. You can get it 6,7,8 or 8,5 wide get the ground clearance you want the tire size you want, insulation, wall finish, solid aluminum floors, Aluminum roof with no penetration will last forever. All this with no wood to rot, no products that can hold mold....

And for less money than you can buy a FG trailer. Not for everyone but sounds perfect fit for you. Any yes it is still on my possible list although the wife likes a few more refinements than me, so doubt I will get what I want.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #87

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Patrick: Have you ever seen what hail does to an aluminum trailer? I have even seen it cut into the aluminum when powered by a strong wind. This is actually the main reason that we are attracted to the fiberglass molded trailers.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #88

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Being from Texas I have seen hail go through the roof of a house. Trust me that you don't want to get hit by large hail by anything you own. They hail that will go through aluminum will go through glass as well. Insurance on your trailer is for hail, they total most out due to expensive repair cost.

You might not have a big dent in gel coat so insurance won't pay but more than sleet will damage fiberglass.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #89

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
We owned one of Jim's original EggCamper units back in 2009. We also do mostly boon docking - so it was a no brainer to have propane. It was a cinch to put in a small and very efficient LP 12,000BTU furnace - mounted a light weight, resin type tool box on the tongue to hole the regulator and a small tank. The box also held blocks, cord and a Honda 2000i inverter genny. We loved it!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #90

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
I'm sure you are aware the grill is a 'surface mount' - so to keep out bugs you should put a weather stripping between the grill and the body when installing the new grill? Bill

Tags
eggcamper