Boler Voyageur 1300 Reno - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #21

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Having the original carpet pieces as templates was the key. The new pieces fit perfectly and using the carpet glue instead of contact cement meant that I could readjust the pieces as I installed them. I recommend a mask though and a good pair of rubber gloves - make no mistake it was industrial strength glue that gassed off fast and stuck to everything! I have been working on the the carpet inside the upper cabinets, the end ones are awkward to say the least.
I still need to replace the backsplash, going to use a sheet of maple veneered ply. I want to make new cupboard doors this week out of Maple too. I'll post when those are done.
Here is another pic of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6358.jpg  
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #22

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I replaced our backsplash with a piece of flexible plastic like material from Home Depot. It's about 1/8" thick, flexible and easy to work with. It made a great backsplash trimmed out with some aluminium. Cleans up fast and easy. I have a big piece left. If you're anywhere near Toronto you're welcome to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433261413.990154.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	84794

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433261446.677483.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	84795

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #23

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the offer Martin, but I already have a piece of maple to go in. I took out a piece of fiberglass and my plan is to warm up the interior with some wood accents. Tonight I am installing the maple (vinyl) plank flooring. Its good stuff I used it years ago in my house mudroom before we installed tile. I also hope to make maple cabinet doors and install them soon.
I finished the carpeting in the cupboards today, that's a relief...
Old 06-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Here is my redesigned kitchen base cabinet. I changed the height and width of the cupboard side and made the drawer larger. I tried my best to balance the two sides so that when I put the fridge back in the cupboard door is the same size and drawer is the same width. The electrical outlet on the front was relocated to the side right above the converter. I used the pieces that I cut out to fill the gaps where I needed to close up holes (I actually made the cupboard door shorter). Once everything was sanded smooth I painted the cabinet and clearcoated it.
I also relocated the breaker box and the outlet that was in the bottom of the cupboard to the dividing wall between the cupboard and the fridge area. While I was at it I replaced the corroded ground wire coming from the breaker box and painted both the breaker box and the outlet box. Hopefully, this will make a neater area that looks better too.

If you haven't read Dave White's "you can repair fiberglass" thread you should. It is comprehensive and Dave gave me some pointers for my body work too. It sure is nice to have a resource like this website!
Yes, Dave's thread is excellent, I have been putting his lessons to good use on our 71 Boler restoration...seems like we are doing a lot of the same at the same time, mine can't seem to go fast enough but I am taking my time to do it right...just ready to take our son camping in it...nice work by the way, I have been looking at your posts & pictures...I just finished rebuilding our door. It was rotten on the inside so I made a steel frame and filled the door with styrofoam, I will have to update my thead, check it out if you get a chance and let me know your thoughts...and yes I thought the paint marks and stamping was a little suspicious on your plate too lol...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #25

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I looked very closely at your pictures and if I had to guess I would say it was an early 70's model but I am no expert on these trailers.
Hey Johnny, thanks for the comments. I always appreciate feedback. As for the age range of the trailer I am pretty certain it is an 80s model. There is a neat magazine article in the document centre. Besides havng a great review of a 1981 Boler Voyageur 1300, it also has pictures and the body and frame are identical to mine (at least from what I can tell).

As for slow progress, my Dad always said, "A job worth doing is worth doing well". If I've learned anything it's that doing a job well takes time. I hope to have mine done by the due date my wife has set for me though...
Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #26

Ontario
Registry
Had some excitement in the garage today. I had removed the fridge and stove while I gutted and rebuilt the interior so this afternoon I figured it was time to make sure the lpg system worked. I connected everything on the floor of the garage and gave it a try. The original stove top worked perfect.
The fridge was a challenge. I have to admit the system makes me a little wary too, never used a propane or gas fridge before. I finally figured out how to light it and was very pleased with myself until the thermostat burst into flames! I shut it down and blew out the fire and checked the fittings and then adjusted the thermostat and of course I tried it again. Same thing. A few seconds of good behaviour then "woof". Thank goodness it wasn't in the trailer.
I started to disassemble the thermostat controller but it was awful crusty and I didn't want to break an old, hard to replace part and as I suggested I am wary about messing around with something that is combustible in a fiberglass trailer, so I dropped the fridge off at an RV repair shop a couple of concession roads over. Hopefully it is not too big a deal...
Old 06-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #27

Ontario
Registry
It's Done!

I haven't posted in a while because I have been working like crazy on the Boler. I have finally finished the Remodel (well mostly!). I know that everyone loves pics and I owe a lot of you on here a big thank you for all of the advice. I have read so many posts in the past few months, scoured all the photos I could find and borrowed more than a few ideas from all of the amazing posts. So, Thanks
I hope you enjoy the pics.
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6445.jpg   _MG_6446.jpg  

_MG_6450.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #28

Ontario
Registry
I have spent the last couple of weeks working on the interior. I built new cupboard doors, enlarged the drawer over the fridge, put a new face on the fridge and put down a new floor.
Rita was adamant that I build her a cedar lined closet, so I did my best.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6452.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #29

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Beautiful, very well done.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #30

Ontario
Registry
here are a couple more pictures of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6456b.jpg   _MG_6457b.jpg  

_MG_6472.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #31

Ontario
Registry
We had a little fun with the embellishments to teh cabinetry and the back splash. Being as the Boler has such a strong Canadian heritage we wanted to work with that. We picked a vintage Canadian Red (I have some white decals I am waiting on) and the interior is trimmed in Maple. If you look closely at the kitchen cabinets you will see I designed and burned a maple leaf into the corners.
Rita had a great idea for the back splash (a nod to "Life is Good") so I reworked a design and added our own Boler into the drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6462.jpg   _MG_6460.jpg  

_MG_6475.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #32

Ontario
Registry
One of my favourite finds was the kitchen faucet. I was scouring the aisles at the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and found the perfect faucet for $10. I put a little elbow grease and good old tinfoil into the original 2 burner stove top and it turned out very nice. I used some stove polish (from my woodstove) for the black pot supports.
The vent hood is actually a re-purposed galvanized serving tray painted white. I was planning on adding a vent fan but I couldn't source an outside vent hatch that I liked, I will just have to keep looking.
I hope you like the pics and again, Thanks for all of the advice.
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6473.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #33

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Beautiful, very well done.
Thanks Rick!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #34

Ontario
Registry
looks like I missed the photo of the closet. No moths in here!
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6463b.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #35

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Very nice, job well done Jay.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #36

Ontario
Registry
Thanks John, I appreciate that. You will get there too!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #37

Ontario
Registry
Well, I thought I was done but that doesn't explain why I put in a 14 hour day working on all the little stuff today! fixed up my fridge door - i had the little locking clip replaced when I had the thermostat replaced a couple of weeks ago and I managed to break the pin off the door clip while I was putting the wood insert in. I finally inserted a piece of flat stock aluminum under the door frame, drilled a hole in it and riveted the door clip back on.
There were two real high points in the day though. First, I made a Belly Band. my poor Boler came with the same black vinyl trim that is around my kitchen cabinets on the outside as the belly band. I don't know if anyone else has this or if mine was special, I have not seen any pictures of a belly band like mine. All that being said, I really wanted an aluminum belly band like everyone else. I looked at getting one from Scamp. I even tried calling, that was frustrating. I just couldnot justify the cost with shipping to Canada. I found a supplier of 5/8 x 5/8 aluminum channel in Toronto, but I couldn't figure out how to drive 2 16 foot pieces home an hour and a half on the highway with my GMC Canyon -it's only 17 feet long. I tried all kinds of metal suppliers but they all told me it was a specialized extrusion die and they didn't have access to it. To my utter astonishment I found the exact same 5/8 "c" channel in Home Depot of all places, albeit in 8 ft lengths. I bought one, tried it out at home (if you look closely at my pics of the exterior you might notice that there is only a section of belly band on the front by the door) and we were happy with the result. Today I spent a good 5 hours bending "c" channel and this evening my daughter and I installed the new belly band. Boy, what a moment , it looks gorgeous! I will have to post photos tomorrow, It was dark by the time we finished.
The second highlight was that my friend Jeff showed up unexpectedly with the decal I had designed for the exterior! So once the belly band was on I applied the vinyl. It's all coming together folks. And just in time too, gotta start packing tomorrow, hope to be on the road by sunday morning.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #38

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
Jay
Very nice work!
What exactly did you do with tinfoil on the stovetop? It looks great.
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 06-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #39

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Doug. If there is some surface rust on any chromed surface you can do a pretty good restore by balling up some tinfoil and polishing the chrome. Sometimes I add a little water to lubricate. My Dad bought me a used bicycle when I was about 8 and taught me that trick. The tinfoil wont scratch the chrome, the rust will come off and if there is pitting the tinfoil will shine the marks up.
Jay
Old 06-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #40

Ontario
Registry
Alright, here are a few more pictures. I made a jig to bend the aluminum "C" channel, I used some small clamps to slowly bend the aluminum to shape. It took a while and I had to go slow so that the crimping would not be excessive.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6479b.jpg   _MG_6480b.jpg  

Tags
boler, boler reno, boler trailer, interior, little red trailer, red boler, remodel, restorations, scamp