Buying a 1980s burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: Wesley
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Buying a 1980s burro

Hello I am new to this forum and have been given the opportunity to purchase a 1980s burro for $2500 from a family member. I have been browsing around and see the countless issues that could come along with this purchase but my wife and I love the idea of having a small camper like this vs only taking our tent out. We have an 8 month old and this would be more convenient than the tent.

I know they purchased the Burro for more money $4,000 but over the years had 2 kids and it is now too small for them so they want it to have a good home. Upon initial inspection it is as expected for a 1980s burro kind of dirty, some leaking windows, some floor rot. It doesnt stink, the lights work, the door closes, it has all the cabinets the stove, new cushions.

I am guessing we would need to gut it to check everything redo the windows, redo the floor, check the frame, get some tires. For the price it seems reasonable but I am hoping reading other stories on here we do not end up with a nightmare on our hands. Anyway, I am hoping to learn and make a good decision on whether this is the one or if we should just spend the $15k + on a newer one.
BurroBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Gutting it is the easy part. My advice is to read up on anything you plan to do before ripping it apart. Parts of the interior of a fibreglass trailer are structural.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The real question is:

Do you have the spare time to devote to such a project?

Estimate time needed in the several hundreds of hours.

Many with young families do not have enough spare time, and would rather spend any time available with their family, camping.

It also is a BIG help if you have a covered work area, carport or garage. While you are working on these trailers, its best to have them secure under cover.

Its not really a gut job. Most of the Burro interior is fiberglass, and as mentioned, assume it is all structural. Click on the manufacturers tab on the top right of the screen, then click on Burro, and start reading.

Burros are desirable trailers with a solid following.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro

« Hi I am, | New »