80’s burro door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
80’s burro door

Hi all,

I’m doing a complete restoration of an 86 17’ burro. My door is somewhat soft at the bottom & the hinges will need replace + the hinge mounts on the body will need redone - currently has long screws going all the way through the walls with big washers on the inside. I have 2 options
1 fix what I have
2 replace it with a standard type rv door (like the late 90s burros) I know this will require extensive fiberglass work.

I’m leaning toward option 2, I will gain a screen door & modernize the old mule some. What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
3A6DD99A-EEBD-4FF6-A1DA-B31C0C7E2F59.jpeg   AAA099AC-4979-449B-9B25-01DD3F00AB11.jpeg  

Tomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #2

Indiana
Is there a site/another forum where there are more burro owners?
Old 08-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Have you tried looking for a Facebook group? There are lots of very specialized groups there.

What you’re thinking of doing is an advanced level project. I’m not surprised you’re getting few replies. If it’s been done even once on a Burro 17 I’ll be surprised. You may have to lead the way.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Just my humble 2 cents. the look of the old door is pretty sweet, but once you get the RV door on, it will probably be a lot less maintenance. I just so happen to be on the Facebook Burro group. I was on it because at one time I was looking for either a Scamp or a Burro. https://www.facebook.com/groups/248813178843933/
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

Indiana
I found a local shop that will do the fiberglass work. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find the door? I’ve looked all over the web and requested quotes from custom made to order door companies - only out of state replies so far (shipping is as much as the door!). I know there are a ton of rv part manufacturer’s a couple hours north of me in Elkhart Indiana. Anyone had luck with a particular company?
Old 08-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgun View Post
Just my humble 2 cents. the look of the old door is pretty sweet, but once you get the RV door on, it will probably be a lot less maintenance. I just so happen to be on the Facebook Burro group. I was on it because at one time I was looking for either a Scamp or a Burro. https://www.facebook.com/groups/248813178843933/
I agree the look is cool but I’ll give up a little for functionality. We have 3 young boys so we will need this thing to withstand heavy use.

I don’t have Facebook but thanks for the info! Is it a fairly active group?
Old 08-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo2 View Post
I found a local shop that will do the fiberglass work. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find the door? I’ve looked all over the web and requested quotes from custom made to order door companies - only out of state replies so far (shipping is as much as the door!). I know there are a ton of rv part manufacturer’s a couple hours north of me in Elkhart Indiana. Anyone had luck with a particular company?
Google RV salvage yards, find one convenient to you, and buy one there.

And your old Burro door will also have value, ditto the lock and hinges.

Amazon has plenty of new RV doors for sale with free shipping. Most of my new RV stuff comes from Amazon. I am sick and tired of driving to RV store after RV store trying to find an item that seems to always be out of stock.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Google RV salvage yards, find one convenient to you, and buy one there.

And your old Burro door will also have value, ditto the lock and hinges.

Amazon has plenty of new RV doors for sale with free shipping. Most of my new RV stuff comes from Amazon. I am sick and tired of driving to RV store after RV store trying to find an item that seems to always be out of stock.
Good call on selling the old door!

It’s going to take a around 58” door. Can the off the shelf door/screen door be shortened? This is my first RV project.

The local shop I contacted said they can make a door. I’ll probably get a quote from them before I do anything myself.

Now I just need to get the subfloor done before I take it to them.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #9

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Burro
California
The Facebook group is very active and has daily posts about renos
Steplong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #10

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo2 View Post
I don’t have Facebook but thanks for the info! Is it a fairly active group?
Not as big as the Casita or Scamp ones, but yeah, they are active. (Steplong, sounds like he/she might be on a more active one.)
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #11

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steplong View Post
The Facebook group is very active and has daily posts about renos
Can you send me a link to the group you are part of?
Old 04-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #12

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Registry
I'm looking at a 1987 17' Burro tomorrow that I might purchase. Can you tell me what became of your search for a door? Also, what does your wet bath set up look like? I've had a difficult time finding what they looked like originally from the factory.
TNBassGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #13

Name: BROOKE
Trailer: Burro
VT
Hi - I'm also wondering what you decided on this. I am working on restoring a 13' Burro and the door is a bit of a problem. If anyone had an old one needing less restoration than mine I may be interested in it. It was damaged when we bought it in the Fall, chunk of fiberglass missing, detaching most of the way around the door, etc. Thanks!
Brooke w Burro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro