13' boler water system explanation? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
13' boler water system explanation?

can someone give me a brief explanation of the 13' boler water system? where does water from the sink drain to? I understand how the filler on the outside works. previous owners had a small sticker that said not to drink the water from the tank. is it not safe for some reason? are there any diagrams or photos of the Boler water system that will help me understand?
D_Rood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
follow the drain hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Rood View Post
can someone give me a brief explanation of the 13' boler water system? where does water from the sink drain to? I understand how the filler on the outside works. previous owners had a small sticker that said not to drink the water from the tank. is it not safe for some reason? are there any diagrams or photos of the Boler water system that will help me understand?
It will depend on your options. Do you have a grey water tank? If not,Is it like this Scamp? Also, I do not think I'd drink water from a 40 year old water tank even if it was sterilized.
Attached Thumbnails
blu water 1.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:14 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Old information

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Rood View Post
are there any diagrams of the Boler water system that will help me understand?
I have this in my files as an old Scamp water system but it could be close to the Boler as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Water Layout.png  
Old 11-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
This diagram seems to show that the city water connection will fill the fresh water tank. Is that correct?
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Probay not, but it depends on what options you ordered. On my basic 2008 13’ Scamp, the (optional) city water connection goes directly to a single cold water faucet at the sink, nowhere else. The standard gravity-fill tank feeds a separate hand pump faucet. The two are not interconnected. Both drain via the sink to an outside fitting as shown in an earlier post.

Most 13’ Bolers came from the factory with a simple system like my Scamp, but after 40-50 years, no telling what changes may have been made. A big clue that you may have a fancier system is a 12V water pump. You should be able to see any branch lines from the inside of the cabinet where the city water line comes into the trailer. Mine has none.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
This diagram seems to show that the city water connection will fill the fresh water tank. Is that correct?
Water can only go out of the pump due to a check valve in the pump.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #7

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
What are your sink/tap arrangements, separate tap for city water and for tank water?
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #8

Name: Dave and Bonnie
British Columbia
You have two entry points for water into your Boler.
The one you connect with a hose and screw tight first is the one that connects directly to the sink taps and will operate as you turn on and off the taps as it is under pressure from the "city" or "RV site" source.

This also works for the shower if you have one.

The other entry point is just a hose opening that you shove the open end of the hose in and turn on the tap - this fills your fresh water tank and you keep it running in until there is a back splash coming out that opening - that means the tank is now full.

Shut off the water, take away the hose etc.

Now when you want water from your tank, you have to turn on the pump and it will pump water from your freshwater storage tank to your sink taps. Turn the pump off after you have your fill of water in the sink.

Or the same when you have a shower.

The water drains into a grey water tank when you pull the plug.

The other "drain" system is for your toilet (if you have one) called a black water tank.

This info is from my trailer, a '77 Boler Trailer that is larger, a 17' model.

Anyway, hope this is of some help
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #9

Ontario
So here is what I have discovered.
In my 1976 Boler I believe my plumbing has been modified and not in a good way.
The "city" connection is self explanatory, single hose hook up goes direct to a single faucet.
holding tank was a bit confusing
there is no grey water tank, the sink drain goes straight out through the floor beside the wheel well.
What I assumed was the grey water tank is the fresh water tank. The filling hose goes into the rectangular tank under the dinette floor and the 1/4 tubing goes from the same tank up to the hand pump. there is a second 1/4 hose that runs up to the countertop but is not connected, I assume this is a breather of some sort for the holding tank.
if I can figure out how to share photos, I will
Old 11-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #10

Ontario
pics of water system

i hope these pic help show what I am dealing with
the first is just the under sink cabinet
second is the site water pipe to the site water faucet
third is the sink drain
and fourth is the drain going through the floor
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5523.jpg   IMG_5524.jpg  

IMG_5525.jpg   IMG_5526.jpg  

Old 11-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #11

Ontario
a few more pics

the first one is the two vent hoses from the grey water tank
second shows the compartment doors that were added
and third shows the fill hose that goes through the bench and directly into the grey water tank
the last one shows the hose end on the hose that comes from the sink through the floor
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5527.jpg   IMG_5528.jpg  

IMG_5529.jpg   IMG_5532.jpg  

Old 11-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #12

Ontario
more pics

these last two are the tank
I believe this was originally the grey water tank and the last owner used it to hold fresh water
that sounds like a horrible idea. ewwww
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5533.jpg   IMG_5534.jpg  

Old 11-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #13
JPM

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
Alberta
With my 1972 Boler which is original (no bathroom or shower just a sink), there are two taps on the sink. One is a white plastic tap that runs off the garden hose hookup. The other is a silver pump unit that works with the water holding tank that is located under the rear dinette seat on the passenger side (curb side). This holding tank fills from the fill port on the outside of the trailer. The grey water for the sink just runs out via a hose to the outside of the trailer at the rear of the trailer I beleive as there is a hose sticking out about a 1/2 inch by the back bumper (I dont use my water set up at all).
Hope this helps
Cheers
jpm
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #14

Ontario
I was wrong, plumbing is all original

So I messaged a helpful Boler owner in BC, through Kijiji.
His trailer is identical to mine and he bought it new in 75.
the tank under the floor of the dinette that I thought was grey water was in fact the original fresh water tank. and the sink drain that comes out through the floor was the original grey water drain.

Tags
boler