Boler 1700 How to glue liner back on? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2022, 10:20 PM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Post Boler 1700 How to glue liner back on?

My 17ft Boler (1700) does not have the traditional ensulite insulation that most 13ft Bolers have. Attached are some images of the product. My best guess is that it appears to be a foam base with a sprayed-on-white bubbly texture. Another 17ft Boler I saw last weekend had the same product for insulation, so its from the factory.

The liner is unglueing in some places and I would like to address this issue.

- Can someone confirm the material type? is it polyurethane foam? Photos included.

- I'm no chemist. What should I use to bond the insulation material to the fibreglass that can withstand summer's heat and mild winter (-10c to +40c ish)? Contact cement doesn't like polyurethane. An experienced person's opinion would be appreciated.

- If you know the material, what should I use for paint touchups? I suspect something breathable?

Looking forward to your replies.
Attached Thumbnails
20220607_204027_resized.jpg   20220607_204533_resized.jpg  

20220607_204545_resized.jpg  
premonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I used 3M Super 77 spray contact cement where the seams were coming apart. On the bubbles, I used a WD40 spray straw on the super77 can. Poke a hole in the ensolite insert the straw and spray around while slowly withdrawing the straw. Push up and pull apart and let set for about 15 minutes. Then push together and it should hold. I used a latex caulk to fill all the old seams and any cuts. Dabbing a wet sponge on the freah caulk will give it a similar texture as the ensolite.
Make sure you clean all the ensolite before painting. I used 30 seconds cleaner on ours followed by a regular household cleaner. Let dry for at least a week before priming. I used Zinsser Bullseye 123 for primer and any good quality latex paint. I didn't do touchups but painted all the ensolite.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:04 AM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
reglue bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I used 3M Super 77 spray contact cement where the seams were coming apart. On the bubbles, I used a WD40 spray straw on the super77 can. Poke a hole in the ensolite insert the straw and spray around while slowly withdrawing the straw. Push up and pull apart and let set for about 15 minutes. Then push together and it should hold. I used a latex caulk to fill all the old seams and any cuts. Dabbing a wet sponge on the freah caulk will give it a similar texture as the ensolite.
Make sure you clean all the ensolite before painting. I used 30 seconds cleaner on ours followed by a regular household cleaner. Let dry for at least a week before priming. I used Zinsser Bullseye 123 for primer and any good quality latex paint. I didn't do touchups but painted all the ensolite.
Like idea your ideas; we used large needle and tip to draw out water and then when dry injected glue with needle but your spray idea using super77 can with straw from wd40 for inserting glue better.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:05 AM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
Please test any spray adhesive on the foam first; it may dissolve the foam! You may need to search around for a water-based spray adhesive that does not dissolve it.

I repaired a big bubble in my Ensolite by using a stray in my 3M 90 spray. Since there was only a small slit to insert the straw, the off-gassing caused the bubble to get bigger! I had to squeeze the bubble to vent the gas out. I thought it was ruined because it did not glue down. I went on to do other work on the trailer and checked on it about 45 minutes later. Much to my surprise the bubble had collapsed on its own and looked pretty good. Still a couple of ripples that won't come out but way better than it looked before.
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:04 PM   #5

British Columbia
Its not ensulite

Ive compared the material with other 13ft Bolers and its a different material than Ensulite.

I will ensure to test on a sample material before. Thank you for the reminder.

Looking at 3m specs. 3M 77 does not like flexible foam.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...tion-guide.pdf

Im thinking 90 might be the better option.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:39 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
Every auto parts store sells upholstery adhesive in a spray can. It is powerful stuff. Even the generic brands work extremely well if you follow the directions. Generally you spray both sides and let it dry then joint them and press it really hard. A 2" or 3" roller will speed things up if you have a large area to work on.

No upholstery spray adhesive (3m etc) will dissolve the foam.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:51 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinMike View Post
Every auto parts store sells upholstery adhesive in a spray can. It is powerful stuff.
Yes. That seems to be the next logical product to try. Ill keep you posted.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:55 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post

Use super 77 for my scamp and have used it for a lot of other projects.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #9

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I was planning to reattach the rat fur that had come loose inside my cabinets... then realized it was 30 years old and grubby so decided to remove it and add new headliner or fabric.

So it has come out, but what remains is a layer of very deteriorated foam. My friend with headliner experience says it will come down with some work, scrubbing, etc.

I guess this is what we will do (simple re-gluing accelerated to fabric replacement accelerates to foam removal...)

Any advice on this foam removal nightmare?

Tags
boler