Scamp 2021 Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Scamp 2021 Door

Hello,

Our Scamp has the new door design, which is garbage. We took it to Scamp and had them “fix” it last year. It is worse now than ever. The hinges are at the bottom, so the door hangs on them in a way that stretches the hinges, eventually and quickly making it not flush. We have to hold up the door to close it and it is scratching the frame because it is so wonky. We are no longer in warranty, so I’m working if anyone has a better fix. This door design is faulty and hopefully scamp figured out a better way. Everyone who has this door will eventually have this issue. What have others done???? Need advice.

Thanks,
Brooke (Lady and the Scamp)
Bnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #2

Name: Kamil
Indiana
We also have the '21, and so far we have not run into this. Though the door is not fully flush from the factory, as there is a small amount of "daylight" at the bottom - perhaps a sign of things to come?

The old, curved door design had its problems as well, perhaps the new problems are an improvement over the old?

Do you have a video showing the door problem you're seeing?
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That is very disappointing to hear. Scamp invested a lot in this new door design. Yours is the first report of a problem I’ve seen on this site, but you might try the Facebook group “Scamp Travel Trailers.” It seems to have a lot more active Scamp owners, especially buyers of new units. If you find out anything over there I hope you’ll report back.

There were issues with the previous door hinge as well, and Scamp eventually did provide a remedy even for out-of-warranty units, so it would be worth staying on top of the issue, connecting with other owners, and keeping the pressure on.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #4

Name: Brooke
Illinois
Door

Thanks for the responses. I know the previous door was a problem, as well. I will check out the Facebook group. I think the low hinge placement is the real issue.
Bnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:03 AM   #5

Name: Kamil
Indiana
I am curious to know if you have solved this? My warranty is up this September, so I am making a trip to Backus so that they can fix my door, and also some defects that appear in my gelcoat (uggh). I did not trust local places to do a proper repair, so I opted to go back to Minnesota.

Slightly OT, but how useful do you guys find the awning? I originally did not get one, as we camp in the Eastern US where shade is abundant, and was concerned about weight/longevity. I am considering adding the awning since I will be making the (hopefully) last trip to the factory with this Scamp. But I can't make up my mind regarding the price vs usefulness.
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Just a counterbalance, but the feedback I'm hearing from new owners is that the new door is wonderful.
In more news, I understand that they are working on a compatible screen door which opens with the new door in a conventional way.

As for the old style door, My 2004 came with a lousy gasket set, I fixed it first month and have been happy with it for the following 18 years.

My daughter's door on their Grey Wolf literally fell off the trailer after only towing its first 100 miles. Every hinge screw failed. They could not get an appointment to have it fixed so it became a DIY project.

Of course there is always room for improvement,,, but one trip to Elkhart will leave every Fiberglass owner singing the praises of Fiberglass!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:42 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
I

Slightly OT, but how useful do you guys find the awning? I originally did not get one, as we camp in the Eastern US where shade is abundant, and was concerned about weight/longevity. I am considering adding the awning since I will be making the (hopefully) last trip to the factory with this Scamp. But I can't make up my mind regarding the price vs usefulness.
We have found that out west they have wind gusts up here out of nowhere which wreck havoc to awnings. We use clam shelters with rain flies to be the practical solution for shade and protection from rain if you would like to enjoy the outdoors.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #8

Name: Dave
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
I am curious to know if you have solved this? My warranty is up this September, so I am making a trip to Backus so that they can fix my door, and also some defects that appear in my gelcoat (uggh). I did not trust local places to do a proper repair, so I opted to go back to Minnesota.

I've liked the awning and found it useful. It's quick to set up and take down--easier than any of the other camper awnings I've had, so if the wind picks up, I take the awning down. It's not very big, but still provides enough shade to be useful for a couple of chairs. It seems to be very well made. I'm not sure about the weight since it was factory installed.

Dave
theremin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp