Scamp home comming dump fee?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2022, 05:34 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp home comming dump fee??

Is this correct? Information says "A dumping station is on site, as well, for $10 per dump."
This will be the first time ever that I have had to pay extra to dump at a paid campground. I hope that I misunderstand.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:16 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
more and more are starting to charge dump fees if they have ongoing costs to maintain the udmp, such as having to have a holding tank pumped weekly. Its that or close it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:50 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Thumbs up Growing pains

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
more and more are starting to charge dump fees if they have ongoing costs to maintain the dump, such as having to have a holding tank pumped weekly. Its that or close it.
Things are changing in the Scamping world. I just returned from Iowa via south west Wisconsin tonight. Places that I have stopped for years to get a nap, (way side rests) are now marked no over night camping. I'm not sure of the states' definition of camping but did not need them this time anyway.

Also the Scamp homecoming is a first ever event and there are always growing pains. I've heard internet rumors of 200 Scamps there. Talk about a Scamp sighting!
Old 07-16-2022, 04:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I don't have a convenient sewer clean out at my house in Fl. The nearby State Park charges me $13 just to dump my tanks. There is also Federal CG nearby which has to pump their tanks, they do not allow you to dump your tanks upon arrival.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
In the great state of Iowa the full gamut of dump stations and fees are possible. Here’s a list that is most likely pretty accurate. Most state parks with improved camping facilities and Federal Corps of Engineers campgrounds have a dump station with no additional fee as do many county parks. Some county parks allow ( walk in) dumping for a nominal fee ( one near us is $6).

Vandalism, theft from nearby landowners properties and heavy littering have ruined the old “roadside park” areas and there are some that have been closed by the counties, logged off, stumps dug out and they are now home to the Green God, Zea mays , Corn.
It’s all part of the decline of decency in America.
Iowa Dave

https://www.rvdumps.com/iowa/
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Slightly more than two gallons of fuel.

If the rumor of 200 trailers, six gallons per trailer, 1200 gallons. I appreciate having, the opportunity to pay, to take our excrement. In the old days they used to dilute it and spray it on the potatoes! I don't think they allow it anymore. Personally, we're not going, wife doesn't like crowds. I am looking forward to the drone pictures. I would go alone, not happening!
John
Old 07-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
With a nine gallon blackwater tank and an 18 gallon greywater tank, a Scamp's waste water full is hardly more than what a bulgemobile's wastewater has left after its dumped.

Many times we have tolerated piracy because of the location of an event.
I don't think it is good to tow with full tanks on a small fiberglass trailer, but I do think the dump station should be included in the site price.
Charging for non-guests to dump makes some sense though.

Many truck stops have dump stations which are free with a fuel fill up.

I haven't yet seen pay toilets at campgrounds... or even pay showers.

I think the campground is still under development so they may still have portapottys and no showers on site yet.
That may be a reason for the charge if not a justification.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #8

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
We pay high prices for all kinds of crap....why should black water be different?
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:46 AM   #9

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Dumping

We spend most of our time camping at forest service campgrounds. We dry camp during the day we use the toilet facilities at the same campground. We use the toilet facilities in the camper at night and the gray water is from dishwashing. So typically we have 3 gallons in the black water tank and about 15 gallons in the gray water tank. I have found a commercial campground that charges $12 to Dump. The other thing I will do is use a bucket and dump it into the toilet once home. Takes a little more time and smells and is cheaper. For us the trip home is always downhill so traveling with The gray water and the black water is no big deal.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I stayed in a National Forest in NH, for 14 days and was told to dump my black tank into my portable tank and take it to the pit toilet and dump it ... also just dump any Gray water into woods off the site pad.
Sign at water spigots say the same thing ... "Do not was dishes or body here. do it at your site."
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Signs in Forest Service campground near Merritt say dumping of black or grey tanks in pit toilets is prohibited.
Attached Thumbnails
cow outhouse w.jpg  
Old 07-16-2022, 05:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Signs in Forest Service campground near Merritt say dumping of black or grey tanks in pit toilets is prohibited.
Guess we all just have to follow the signs or do as we are told ... on our cross country trip a few years ago at a national Park,,, think it was Yellow Stone, I was told I could again take my 5 gal. tote to the bathroom and dump down the fluch toilet.
Maybe the Ranger was misinformed on policy and gave me the wrong answer.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I suspect those who told you to dump in the toilets weren't those who had to clean them.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:37 PM   #14

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Obviously different places may have different rules. Best to ask if there are no signs. Long thread here not long ago. IIRC, some were proud to have dumped randomly along the roadside.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #15

Wisconsin
Registry
Free loaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
IIRC, some were proud to have dumped randomly along the roadside.

I feel that when I pay for a camp site, part of the fee includes dumping on the way out. But now we have people driving EVs that think the fee includes charging their car also! Soon the rates will be going up even more due to these freeloaders. They are the same people that take up table space in a restaurant for 3 hours while they are plugged into the restaurant’s outlet with an extension cord. I was just at a presentation where the person was quite proud of doing this.
And dumping in the ditch? I have a 5 mile walk that I do here at home and it is common to find a place where people have dumped the tanks and we have a FREE dump station less than 10 miles away.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #16

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Obviously different places may have different rules. Best to ask if there are no signs. Long thread here not long ago. IIRC, some were proud to have dumped randomly along the roadside.
Sometimes it is very difficult to find the Walmart Mgr.......
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
We pay high prices for all kinds of crap....why should black water be different?
Full hook-ups includes water, electric, and sewer. often Wi-Fi and/or cable.
As prices increase, these amenities are being curtailed one at a time.
Usually there are showers on site and toilets as well.
I have found many times that commercial Campgrounds often offer more inclusions at a lower price (this event notwithstanding).
State parks are getting prohibitive in price in many places, so they should be be inclusive, clean, and mosquito mitigated. Not so in many places.
Personally I don't mind a bit higher price if it is clear and inclusive without nit picking.
For instance extra charge for dumping, reservation fees, local fees , etc.
Some now even have added a surcharge for electricity on a "full hook-up" site which now ostensibly means what?... water?

Point is... just give an honest price, up front and inclusive.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:00 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Sometimes it is very difficult to find the Walmart Mgr.......
WalMart manages from Arkansas! The "Associate in Charge" is almost never able or allowed to make a decision, not even on inventory items offered by corporate. We overnight and shop at Walmarts all over the country without special permission. If they have clear signs prohibiting overnight parking, then we move on without staying or shopping. There is usually another Walmart just down the road.
We do avoid Walmarts near large metropolitan areas.Rural stores are quieter and more accommodating.
The "Superstores" are open 24hrs and we have never thought to ask permission to park when shopping.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:48 PM   #19

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post

I feel that when I pay for a camp site, part of the fee includes dumping on the way out. But now we have people driving EVs that think the fee includes charging their car also! Soon the rates will be going up even more due to these freeloaders. They are the same people that take up table space in a restaurant for 3 hours while they are plugged into the restaurant’s outlet with an extension cord. I was just at a presentation where the person was quite proud of doing this.
And dumping in the ditch? I have a 5 mile walk that I do here at home and it is common to find a place where people have dumped the tanks and we have a FREE dump station less than 10 miles away.
IKR? Trip before last we camped next to a 50' motorhome with two A/C units running all day, all night. Plus, I'm sure they were sucking on the 50amp. Some of those things have 100 gallon tanks to dump!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Does seem a little high. But it is what it is. One thing to remember is that there have been a quite a number of cases of people dumping hazmat in free dump stations. And that can get VERY EXPENSIVE with no way to identify who. (Which is probably why they did it). That is one of the reasons for the charge in general. Then they can track who.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp