Scamp to Burningman - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: joan
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Scamp to Burningman

My daughter is taking my 13 foot Scamp to Burningman on Friday. Any recommendations on how to keep the blowing sand from entering every nook and cranny. Also, any recommendations on power since they do not allow for generators and there is no electrical hookup. One charged battery will not last a week. Lastly recommendations for gray/black water since they do not have a dump station. THANKS
starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RV Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
My daughter is taking my 13 foot Scamp to Burningman on Friday. Any recommendations on how to keep the blowing sand from entering every nook and cranny. Also, any recommendations on power since they do not allow for generators and there is no electrical hookup. One charged battery will not last a week. Lastly recommendations for gray/black water since they do not have a dump station. THANKS
Says you can run a generator, but you could also use a solar panel or charge with the tow vehicle. Keep in mind that the sanitation vendor only accepts cash so plan accordingly. The sand can be limited with a patio mat, but there will be sand cleanup.
https://burningman.org/event/prepara...ya-living/rvs/
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
There were reports of sand

Quote:
How did it go and how did she keep the battery charged? Inquiring minds want to know.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:03 PM   #4

Name: joan
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
I have no idea. BM is not over til 9/5. There is no phone reception as there are few cell phone towers, though I was told that reception is better now than in the past. She probably has not plugged her phone in to her charger anyways. I am just hoping for a safe return tomorrow. According to news reports winds were at 35MPH yesterday.
starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Happier Camper has had many trailers to burning man and have a few there right now ,can’t tell you how nice it is to be able to completely remove everything from the camper and wash and hose everything out the drain in the all fg floor and be able to remove and wash the sunbrella materials, when the trailer leaves burning man it is completely covered in playa dust and I can not imagine the work needed to clean the many rental trailer and motor home units there .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1975 13 ft
Fiberglass RVs do great at Burning man

I took my Boler there many years. They do take a good cleaning after but make a great home on the playa. I had both solar and a backup generator when needed.

Here is a link to my search for other fiberglass RV back in 2005 and what I found

Egg hunting

Still have to rebuild my Boler after the 2019 fire melted the window and back end but will get her back in shape again!

Roy
Roy Massen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Sand will be everywhere. We had a wind storm in Utah once and even our cat was covered with red sand while she was laying down. It just takes a lot of sweeping of walls, floors, cabinets etc. If it is hot you have to have the door and windows open on the side that the wind isn't blowing into. Don't forget to sweep out the fridge and hot water tank areas plus the furnace on the inside of cabinet.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I took my brand new 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer directly from the factory in TX to Burning Man. I had a couple of rolls of wide 3M blue painters tape. Once settled in at Burning Man, I taped the windows on both the Casita and my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan. After pulling out my 30A electric cord and running to the front (where I set up my Honda Handi inverter / generator) I sealed up the cord door with the 3M tape. I only opened the shower vent the few times I showered and opened the Fantastic Fan when there was NO wind (and I was inside ready to close it. After the event, there was virtually NO sand INSIDE! I got to Burning Man again in 2011 & 2012, followed the same protocols and had the same results.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp