1977 Fiberstream 14' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello, I am new to the site and am hoping I can receive some much needed guidance. i have an opportunity to purchase a 1977 14' Fiberstream located in my hometown San Diego, CA. i am set to see the trailer tomorrow morning. The asking price is 3,000. I have been researching trailers but have been unable to figure out if that is resonable or not. Does anyone here have any thoughts and/or suggestions for me? So far, I have been told it is in excellent condition and ready to go. "No cracks, new tires, new rims, only selling it because a bigger trailer was needed and recently purchased..." Thank you in advance for your posts.

Kim
Kim T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
There are a couple of San Diego Fiber Stream owners on this board who may be able to chime in and maybe give you some inspection tips.

The Fiber Stream Company of California was in business from 1975 to 1986. They did not make trailers in any size other than 16ft. So I'm guessing that maybe you are looking at is a trailer cabin that is 13 feet long and a tongue and bumper that add 3 feet. Since RV trailers are measured bumper to tongue the unit would be considered a 16ft RV.

The resale prices for Fiber Stream reported on this website and eBay over the last three years have ranged from about $1000 to $6000. The asking price falls into the median eBay (low ball) price range for a trailer that may need some fixup. The low end sale price was for a gutted trailer with all wall coverings, cabinetry, wiring and appliances removed. The high end asking price was a unit, repainted inside and out with fresh upholstery. I don't know what shape the appliances, flooring or systems were in.

If you buy it, let us know. Good Luck.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #3

Other Resources:

Check the links in our resource center to the left of the message board. There is a buyer's checklist there.

There is a search feature on this board that will allow you to see archived posts. Enter the key words for what you are looking for "Fiber Stream" or "Fiberstream" for instance and you will be able to review past posts on the topic.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #4

Benita, thank you for your responses to my post. I am researching and finding great info thanks to you. That would be great if the SD owners chimed in... I will keep you posted regarding what happens tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Benita, thank you for your responses to my post. I am researching and finding great info thanks to you. That would be great if the SD owners chimed in... I will keep you posted regarding what happens tomorrow.
Hi: Sometimes you just have to run on "GUT" instinct!!! We bought out '77 Boler in 15 min. and for $3000. Canadian $'s needed only minor work and it was Love at first site Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
If yours is truly "Ready to go" then I would have few qualms with the $3k pricetag. A 1977 is on the early end of the vintage... a year older than mine, and mine was the oldest one that I was aware of.

Mine had sat for a long time and had several issues, some of which I am still dealing with... which didn't bother me as I am a tinkerer at heart. But I negotiated a good price when I bought...
Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
With trailers that are about three decades old, a year or two plus or minus seems irrelevant to, unless there were design or equipment changes between years - that's where the Fiber Stream experts are needed.

Although I haven't seen a Fiber Stream "in person" yet (I hope to get better organized in 2007 and visit with the one local owner who generously offered to let me see his), I think this is distinctive and appealing design. If its features (bathroom, bed arrangement, etc) are suitable for the intended application, and there are no significant structural concerns with the specific unit, I think the price is fine - a difference of a few hundred dollars one way or the other seems small compared to the overall costs of ownership and value of the buyer's time to find another one.

To put $3000 in perspective... that's about how much a new conventional trailer of that size will depreciate in a year or two, while the Fiber Stream won't change in value at all, or may go up if the trailer is fixed up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1985
Morning, I say....Go for it!! The Fiber Stream is a great unit, and the price is good, if it is in good condition. As we Stream owners often hear, "This trailor has a great layout". Better grab it before Fredrick does.....
Via Con Dios
Randy and Renee
RJordanX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #9

Hello Everyone!!!!

I went for it and am extremely HAPPY! I even got a better deal than the asking price. The trailer has been named "Fiona." She really is in EXCELLENT condition and was ready to go. I have a minor issue with the brake lights but am sure I can fix it easily enough. I have power to the tail lights, however, the bulbs are very dim in reaction. I can see the connections are dirty so, I am going to clean everything up and it should be just fine. I have a classic Volvo (66 1800) and have had this same problem. In case there is more to this issue, I know where i can get great advice and suggestions.

I am so excited to be part of this group. Thank you again for all your responses.

Kim
Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
Congratulations Kim! Way to go! May your trailer provide you many years of enjoyment. What a cool Christmas present to yourself!

Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Kim - welcome to this wonderful forum and congratulations on finding such a terrific FGRV so close to home! We had to travel from Elko, NV to Liberty, MO to claim our Scamp 13, but it turned out to be THE trailer for us. Wishing you many happy memories as you discover all there is to love about your Fiber Stream - we agree, the floor plan is super. Now ... about your attendance at the Oregon Gathering next July ... Hope to see you there, and maybe on the road in the future. Take care, L 'n D ps - and remember ... we LOVE pictures.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Kim,
Congratulations on your acquisition and bargaining powers. Now you and Frederick can compare notes! It's a big help to have another FiberStream owner in your general area to lend an ear when you have concerns or become "stumped" with a problem.
Now you can explore the world of rallies, boondocking, staying in campgrounds with all the amenities, checking out "themed" events, etc. Let the FUN begin.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
That's great. You'll make lots of fond memories.

Great Christmas present.

We've had our Scamp for just a year now and wondering how we managed without it.

Now it's time to change your RV type.

Think about the Oregon Gathering in July, but think fast. Last I checked there were less than 20 sites that haven't been reserved.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #14

Whoopee!!

You are one of ours now.

You now belong to the cult.

Good times are ahead. ENJOY!!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1985
Yeahhhhh.... Now you went and did it! These are great units. The double axels are great. Please try to get to the Oregon Gathering. You will love it!!! Maybe you could "Convoy" with Fred and Robert. You will find many ideas, and the people are the greatest Welcome to the club.
Via Con Dios
Randy and Renee
RJordanX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations, welcome, and we all hope to meet you! --Peter

Quote:
Hello Everyone!!!!

I went for it and am extremely HAPPY!

I am so excited to be part of this group. Thank you again for all your responses.

Kim
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #17

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Let me add my congratulations and welcome! Fiberstream is a quality trailer and you should enjoy it for many years to come. I remember seeing them brand new when the dealer was on El Cajon Blvd. in El Cajon in 1980 or so!

Regarding the lights, clean the sockets, but recognize that 99% of all lighting failures on fiberglass trailers are related to ground issues. The other 1% are ground issues. Find and clean your ground(s)! ALL of them!

<Looks around furtively... motions with finger>

<whispered... psst... over here... quietly...> Let me give just one word of advice and caution... Frederick will be a superb resource for you while you bring your trailer up to snuff, just don't leave him by himself outside for any time at all or your exterior hatch door might disappear...

Hi Frederick!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
<Looks around furtively... motions with finger>

<whispered... psst... over here... quietly...> Let me give just one word of advice and caution... Frederick will be a superb resource for you while you bring your trailer up to snuff, just don't leave him by himself outside for any time at all or your exterior hatch door might disappear...

Hi Frederick!

Roger
Kim, you'll be just fine... just don't let me hitch up without STRICT adherance to my rather lengthy checklist... And if you find a cargo hatch door along I-40 eastbound between Tucumcari and Amarillo, IT'S MINE!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Hello Everyone!!!!

I went for it and am extremely HAPPY! I even got a better deal than the asking price. The trailer has been named "Fiona." She really is in EXCELLENT condition and was ready to go. I have a minor issue with the brake lights but am sure I can fix it easily enough. I have power to the tail lights, however, the bulbs are very dim in reaction. I can see the connections are dirty so, I am going to clean everything up and it should be just fine. I have a classic Volvo (66 1800) and have had this same problem. In case there is more to this issue, I know where i can get great advice and suggestions.

Kim
I just wanted to add my welcome also and especially to another Volvo lover. Would your 66 be a Jensen model? Keep them Rolling!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome and congratulations on your new trailer!

We need pictures!

Tags
fiberstream