Cabinets in TM14 Surfside. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Triple E TM14 Surfside
My 76 Surfside TM14 has the original cupboards and cabinets but they need refinishing. Looks like a veneer type wood with a stick-on wood grain looking covering that is peeling off.. Has anyone refinished their cupboards and cabinets without having to rip them out?
Steve Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Steve, over the years we've seen all kinds of replacement materials used, from shiny diamond plate, to "picture frame" glued/nailed to the cabinet doors. The interior of the picture frame has been painted or wall papered, or actually used to place family pictures and camping shots. Byron Kinnaman is a wood carver and has carved/burned forest scenes into his trailer cupboard doors. One of the more innovative mods I've seen, involved using poly cutting board material the individual purchased at the dollar store. It's up to your imagination and ability to decide what would work best for you and would definitely make the trailer uniquely your own.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Has anyone refinished their cupboards and cabinets without having to rip them out?
I believe Surfside used wood framed cabinets, whereas smaller Bolers, standard Scamps, and Casitas used molded fiberglass cabinets with just wood doors.

Are the cabinet bodies and frames still structurally OK? Is it just the surfaces that are a problem? Many have painted their cabinets and replaced the doors.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Check this out:

Miriam's Surfside Remodel
Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Has anyone refinished their cupboards and cabinets without having to rip them out?
My doors were wood with the vinyl, I sanded and painted them and they looked better. Then I replaced them with new wood and they look great!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have the same trailer but the wood is still OK. I was thinking about using a course fabric (grass cloth) and gluing it into the center panel.
you could also get peel-n-stick cork and use the doors as bulletin boards?
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
I went with melamine paint but mine weren't peeling....that could be a challenge unless you can smooth that out with some kind of filler? Or consider putting laminate (not the floor the thin wood stuff) over them? I'm not a fan of the faux wood stuff so I think anything looks better...and brighter!
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside