New Surfside Owner Looking For Parts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: Surf Side TM14
Idaho
New Surfside Owner Looking For Parts

Hello, I am a new owner of a 1975 Surfside TM14 that I just purchased to restore. This is my first experience with a Surfside. What is the best option for locating parts? I need to replace the rear window, original door hinges, heater is missing, outside seam trim (metal ok but rubber bumper is missing). I am just beginning and sure there is much more to come. Any help locating parts or contacts would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Rcnampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hi Randy, welcome aboard.

Sorry, I can't help at all with your finding of parts, but I imagine others have ideas.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Try this link, they may have some or all of what you need. Good luck!!

Fiberglass |Travel|Trailers |RV
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The rubber for the belly band is an off-the-rack purchase at any Rv parts store/website.

Per trailer-specific parts:

That one's tough since the trailer's been out of production for years. Is the rear window missing altogether?

Some parts may be available from Trilliumrv, since the Surfside's based on the Trillium and they do carry some replacementparts for early trailers....post some pics of what you're looking for (especially rear window) and we may have more suggestions.

Trillium sells exact duplicate door hinges for the Trillium brand, but I think Surfside used something different from those used on the Trillium. As I recall, though, Surfside also used refrigerator hinges and they're probably still available at websites that sell such things.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

Idaho
Rcnampa

The window is there but in pretty poor shape, hand crank not engaging and window frame damaged beyond repair. I will include some pictures. Thanks looking forward to your input.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, Randy! Yes, photos will help. You may find that the windows are easier to refurbish than you think. Explore around on this site because there are probably members that have done some of the repairs that you're asking about.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

Idaho
Rcnampa

Thanks everyone for the help. also need to know if there are any major issues with lifting the shell off of the frame. I want to powder coat it while I make some minor repairs to the frame. This Surfside appears to have had a heater in it, could have been a water heater but don't think so. I have found RV heaters that could work but want to stick as close to original as I can. Any photo's on color combinations anyone would want to share?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

Registry
I don't think there's any reason to worry about lifting it off the frame- lots of folks have done so with lots of different trailers!

I'm bettin' that a Surfside that year probably had one of the old gravity heaters, if you're interested in original equipment.

Some like them, some don't...

Per pics of Surfsides: here's a link to the "Surfside" section of the registry here- not a whole lot of pics at first, but it does also list a BUNCH of threads involving the Surfside and I think you may find more pics in those threads..

Francesca
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #9

Idaho
SUrfSide Windows replacement

I have not been able to salvage any of the windows on my 1975 SurfSide. Anyone making them something close?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

Registry
I don't think anyone still makes "square corner" jalousies, or any full-width jalousies at all that would look/fit anything like the original.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unable to salvage" since glass etc. can be replaced, as can the working mechanism.

Francesca
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Dont give up on existing windows as they are quite easy to maintain once you have done one.

i was even able to find a replacement window at a trailer recycler

It just needed some TLC, some weather stripping, and a new crank and it is as good as new (a previous owner put in solid plexiglass)

There are lots of good posts here on how to repair, maintain and reinstall these windows
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside