Bigfoot sewer and water - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #41

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
This.

I just know from experience that after 20-some years, seals can get dry and crack and shrink. It's probably too late if they've already started to do that, but...you know. Just curious if anyone else used this stuff.

I've been reading through all the info packets that came with the trailer, and the "RV sanitation system guide" (published by Thetford, of course) mentions the stuff.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #42

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
This.

I just know from experience that after 20-some years, seals can get dry and crack and shrink. It's probably too late if they've already started to do that, but...you know. Just curious if anyone else used this stuff.

I've been reading through all the info packets that came with the trailer, and the "RV sanitation system guide" (published by Thetford, of course) mentions the stuff.
Certainly has good reviews. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #43

Montana
Is there a way to take a shower without having what's left in my fresh water tank refill the hot water tank and leave me with no fresh water?

I can close the inlet valve to the water heater, but I'm afraid I won't get any pressure then. Is there a way to still get water pumping into the shower, but not refill the water heater? I know my water heater is full, and I won't need 6 gallons to shower. I don't want to "lose" the rest of my fresh water to replace what's flowing out of the water heater..
Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Is there a way to take a shower without having what's left in my fresh water tank refill the hot water tank and leave me with no fresh water?

If you find a way to do it other than using a separate solar shower with water boiled on the stove top poured into it PLEASE let me know....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #45

SW Virginia
Pretty sure the answer is no. Water is pushed to the outlets, like shower, by the pump. The pump pushes water from the hot tank by pushing in cold water to displace it.
But when you shower, you are using a mixture of hot and cold. If you take a navy style shower it should only take about 2 gal hot, not the full tank of 6 gal. If your hot tank has a temp regulator, set it on the highest to minimize hot use.

Walt
Old 04-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you could control the water entering the water heater, there is a good chance you would forget it wasn't full and you'd burn out the heating element.
I put a piece of gaffer tape over the water heater switch when I have it drained for winter to keep that from happening.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #47

Montana
Ok. Yeah I guess I know it uses a mix. I just know I have very little fresh water left, but 6 gallons in the water heater. Way more than enough. But I really don't want the rest of my fresh water going into the water heater. I could heat the water just enough, and only use hot. But then cold water would be going in to replenish the water heater faster, I guess. Probably ends up using the same amount of water as if I mixed...

I agree it could be dangerous if I drain it and forget.

This is just thinking out loud and nothing I would probably do anytime soon but I guess I could splice another small water pump into the hot water outlet...wire kill switches for both water pumps...turn one on and the other off...

But that's getting kinda fancy. I'll need to use my trailer in more situations than this current one to see if this is just a unique need for this kind of "camping" or if this is something I'll be wishing for in other situations. We'll see.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #48

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Re: your post 41 and 43. You can take a cold shower, of course; not keeping the water heater full may not be a good thing.

Greasing the hose connections is a good idea. I used whatever grease I had around, but distributing it on the hose connections and seals was difficult (and dirty), so the last time I just sprayed them with WD40 with better results.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #49

Montana
Which hose connections do you grease?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #50

SW Virginia
I confess when camping, especially boondocking, I shower every other day. Minimizing water waste with a navy style shower, plus carrying one 5 gal container for some uses, that would typically give me about a week. I also limit dishwashing to once per day or less. Filling any unused space in the refrigerator with bottles of water helps some also and provides refreshing drinking water. When I remember, I freeze them ahead of time.

Walt
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #51

Montana
Depending on the type of camping I'm doing, I would do more or less the same. But I'm trying to maximize my time out, so I'm just showering right before coming into town. Though my water tank gauge read empty, there was still probably three gallons left in it, so that's good to know.

Dumping went smooth-ish. I had a little leaking of the black water valve, and having not actually gotten around to pulling the slinky out of the back bumper, I didn't learn till right then that it was a duct-taped ragged mess. But I got the job done with very little gagging, and went ahead and used the credit card to buy a new, 15' Rhinoflex hose, plus a new drain opening cover, since I snapped both ears off the old one when I tried to turn it back on.

I obviously don't know much, but it seems like my black water valve only started leaking when I noticed it seemed not fully pushed in, so I pushed it in the last 1/4". I think it stops leaking when it's pulled back out that much. So hopefully it's actually fine and just shouldn't be pushed fully in? There's a place just before fully "in" where it seats completely? Hopefully. We'll see how the next dump goes and if it's the same story, I'll be replacing it.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #52

SW Virginia
The valve is designed to seal when it's pushed all the way in. Probably a good idea to replace yours before it really causes a problem. Fairly inexpensive and an easy job. Of course the tank needs to be fully emptied and well rinsed first.

Walt
Old 04-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #53

Montana
Alright, thanks.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:

I obviously don't know much, but it seems like my black water valve only started leaking when I noticed it seemed not fully pushed in, so I pushed it in the last 1/4". I think it stops leaking when it's pulled back out that much. So hopefully it's actually fine and just shouldn't be pushed fully in? There's a place just before fully "in" where it seats completely? Hopefully. We'll see how the next dump goes and if it's the same story, I'll be replacing it.
Sometimes you can get away with just taking the valve system apart and clean out the gunk stopping the blade from closing properly..... but if its the original value set then as has been stated its probable due for a replacement.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #55

Montana
Ok. Hard to say if it's original, since someone did combine the grey and black outlets at some point. Either way, this is not something I want to have happening every now and then. Once I start making some money, I'll just upgrade this stuff.

I didn't look close but I don't think the parts were very expensive. If I've got it apart already, I'd rather throw the old one away and put in a brand new one rather than clean the old one, since we all know what I'd be cleaning off it...
Old 04-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
I'd rather throw the old one away and put in a brand new one rather than clean the old one, since we all know what I'd be cleaning off it...
Be warned you may find you are having to take apart and clean off a fairly new one as well from time to time.... welcome to the life of owning a trailer with full services.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #57

Montana
Well that's just great
Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #58

Colorado
Quote:
Which hose connections do you grease?
I simply sprayed the WD40 generously over both mating ends, including the seal ring and the ears, so it all slides together better without the danger of braking either the pins or the ears.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #59

Colorado
Quote:
Well that's just great
Well, it's just the flip side of life, or the other side of the coin, or....

I am finding that the valves do not close absolutely perfectly, there are always a few drops when I remove the covers, on both drains. Hence the gloves, and the water hose at the dump station that takes care of those tiny spills easily. Sometimes I wish people before me would use more water to clean up after themselves. I would not plan on taking anything apart unless the valves really fail.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #60

Montana
Ah, the drain valves. Sorry...if you hadn't mentioned "ears" I still wouldn't know what you're talking about

Tags
bigfoot