Equalizer Bars - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
JD,
That stability control looks like a very good option. Interesting that the EU requirements are driving the market. Do you have the Pentastar V-6?
Old 12-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #42

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Yes the Pentastar V6 is the only engine offered in the van

That engine is the only V6 in the whole Chrysler lineup.
Truck, car, jeep, etc.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #43

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Obviously this is opinion not fact, so read all you can and make your own decision.
Count me in as one who agrees with your statement. You want the proper weight on your front wheels and ANY trailer can get into a sway situation at some point.

I'm not going to argue any more than this.

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #44

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Yes the Pentastar V6 is the only engine offered in the van

That engine is the only V6 in the whole Chrysler lineup.
Truck, car, jeep, etc.
I have one in a 2013 Rubicon. It runs good and has minimal vibration for a V6, but there are some things about the design and construction that leave me cold. I thought I would never trust one for towing, but it sounds like yours is fine. They do seem to be working out better than I expected. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #45

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I just rated this thread - how many stars did I give it?
Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions and much-much-more. I got it all in the first 20 or so threads...then the train sort of fell off the tracks.

Re thinking it all now I think I may start my journey with no additional hitch additions and if there is a problem on the road, make additions as needed.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #46

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Driving our 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud home from Oregon to IL, empty and as Bigfoot originally designed it except with an added WDH, with a Ford Expedition with top of the line tow package, we began swaying in a fashion that was terrifying. We spent the first night researching the proper way to drive with sway and the second night researching some kind of hitch to alleviate the sway. We find our ProPride to be worth every penny we spent on it. No more muscling the steering wheel when semis pass us. I would not be on my way to Padre Island in the Bigfoot right now had we not added that. Kevin would be camping by himself, or we would have sold this camper. Probably the latter, as my hand condition does not allow me to spell him driving, and the work he had to go to to keep the camper to even minimal swaying did not make driving easy at all. Before, we had to watch for semis, so Kevin could grab the steering wheel tightly with both hands. Now, we mostly don't even notice it. After adding the ProPride, I even pointed out once to Kevin as were driving and a bus (They are worse than semis for setting off sway!) was passing us, that he was still driving with one hand.

Best of luck!

CindyL
Old 12-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #47

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Equalizer Bars

I have often wondered if that's why BF discontinued the Silver Cloud model. An empty, as-built trailer should be naturally well-balanced and stable under normal towing conditions, including passing big rigs. A little "tail waggle" that dies out after a couple of oscillations is normal, but anything that could be described as "terrifying" is not. I recall your posts at the time, and I remain curious about why it was naturally unstable.

I'm glad you found a solution, though. ProPride is one of the high-end WDH systems that includes very effective sway control. Rather than dampen (mask?) sway with friction, I believe it works by changing the geometry of the hitch connection. Very pricey.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #48

Registry
Jon,

Pricey but worth every penny. Not sure if that was why BF discontinued making this model. My understanding is that they were made for managers, but the new models are definitely designed differently. They sit higher than our camper which is a design I wish we had. Kevin too, because the dump valve is so low to the ground that dumping is difficult in many places.

The Propride does change the geometry. Kevin says that it treats the trailer as a 5th wheel, rather than a bumper hitch pull. The pivot point is moved virtually forward near the rear axle making the 2 units act like one long unit. An added benefit is that this camper is virtually theft-proof, because of the ProPride hitching method.

A semi just passed us. Yes, I felt it a bit, but I probably would not have even noticed it, had I not looked up at that moment and spotted the semi. No tail wiggle of any kind. We love our ProPride.

CindyL
Old 12-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #49

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
This Propride hitch was the topic some time ago. I do not remember if it was Cindy or someone else who brought it up. The trailer hitch ball is normally the point of rotation (imagine the tow vehicle is stationary and the trailer can slide sideways). The Propride uses the so called four bar linkage to shift the point of rotation somewhere near the rear axle of the tow vehicle. That makes it behave just like any 5th wheel (and that includes the Scamp19), hence the outstanding stability. I consider this a very elegant solution, even though it is complex, heavy and expensive. Any wear in the four bearings of that linkage may negate the benefits, so it is something to be aware of. Obviously it is worth it in some situations.

(This thread is earning a few stars now...)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #50

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
A local Bigfoot dealer here in BC recommended a Fastway WDH. I have also heard from other 25 ft Bigfoot owners who use a Hensley WDH. It would be interesting to know what other owners of this trailer are using for WDH, specifically how much of the front fibreglass "nose" is "cut out" to accommodate the assembly
Merry Xmas.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #51

Registry
We do not have the nose of a recent Bigfoot nor did we buy a Hensley, but we bought a hitch that Hensley created, the ProPride. Here are images of the cutouts we had to do to make it work to our Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Brake 1.jpg   Brake 2.jpg  

Brake 3.jpg   Brake 4.jpg  

Brake 5.jpg   Brake 6.jpg  

Old 12-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We do not have the nose of a recent Bigfoot nor did we buy a Hensley, but we bought a hitch that Hensley created, the ProPride. Here are images of the cutouts we had to do to make it work to our Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

CindyL
that seems a lot more complicated than a conventional WDH, like the cheap one I used for awhile,

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #53

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Thats what I currently have.....easy. By the looks of it, install of the Fastway WDH will minimize the "cut out" on the nose....almost next to nothing.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #54

Name: Bill
Trailer: OutDoors RV
Idaho
to equalize or not

We tow a 24' Wind River (8200 lbs)with a RAM 3500 single wheel, and a 10,000 lb. Equal-i-zer hitch. The hitch provides both equalization and sway control but is a bit of a pain to hook up. Cross winds and passing 18 wheelers has never been a problem a problem. I have also had two tires blow out on the trailer with no control issues at all. ( The trailer is not overloaded, I check tire pressure before and during each trip, check temperatures at each stop, and have not had good luck with Good Year tires.) My hitch was a little expensive and a pain at hook up but I won't tow without it. Good Luck with your decision. Bill
willyC93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #55

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyC93 View Post
We tow a 24' Wind River (8200 lbs)....
phew, thats only 3 feet longer than my Escape 21 and nearly twice the weight.

ok, I'm guessing the Wind River has a 24' box and is more like 28' overall hitch to bumper, while my escape 21 has a ~ 17 foot box, and the WR is probably 8' wide while the Escape is 7'...
Old 12-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #56

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
This is what the Equalizer cutouts are on our Bigfoot.
Attached Thumbnails
B73071D9-9229-4C1B-8A62-588A2822C0F0.jpg  
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #57

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Why not cut off the part of the bracket that extends over the frame and not cut the fiberglass?
All you need is the part that bolts to the frame the rest that extends is superfluous.
". I have also had two tires blow out on the trailer with no control issues at all. ( The trailer is not overloaded, I check tire pressure before and during each trip, check temperatures at each stop, and have not had good luck with Good Year tires.)"
In my years of driving I don't believe I have ever worn out a Goodyear tire, but I have replaced a few due to separations and bulges.
For my tow cents worth a Goodyear should be used for a planter in the garden.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #58

Mid Left Coast
That's what I did on my Casita... Cut the stirrup brackets so they'd clear the propane bracket, then had master welder neighbor mig them on...
Old 12-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #59

Name: Jerry
Trailer: 72 cloud, old 80s scamp
Wisconsin
You probably have your answer already but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in so everyone can laugh at me!
I HAD the equalizer hitch... I dropped one of the really solid heavy metal bars on my big toe and watched blood spit all over and shatter my toe! It was a really nice wdh for my half ton ram pulling a 7-8000 lb 28 ft camper.
I now have a 3/4 ton ram and 22 ft camper with no weight or sway stuff. If you can't afford the heavier vehicle then the camper, you may need to go with the weight distribution. I found it is a trial and error thing!
I can tell you it is VERY nice backing up to something with a camera and just hooking up and leaving. Makes life a little more simple!

P.S. even though a little heated it is nice seeing other people's thoughts/ideas!
Willieswonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The aggravation of dragging my WDH out to the tow and hooking up for an occasional camping trip is nothing compared to the aggravation of trying to park an F250 every time I go to the local grocery store.

Tags
bigfoot