Questions on purchasing a new Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Questions on purchasing a new Bigfoot

I've started to read some of the threads here about Bigfoots, so if this has been covered, I apologize in advance as I've not read that particular thread yet.

I've been to their site, but I don't see anything on there about taking a factory tour and yet I've seen mention of that here. Is this still happening or have they stopped doing them (like Escape)?

I know they have dealers. Are you able to order directly from the factory as well as pick it up from them? Or do you have to go through a dealer?

I know they won't do all the modifications/changes that Escape does/did, but it seems they do some. Can you do things like getting a stove top only as opposed to a oven/stove? I hardly ever use the oven at home, much less need one when camping.

Not get the bed if we were to switch to a full size queen (plus we love our Select Comfort and that's what's in our Escape). Leave off the blinds (we added cellular to ours). I know we can't get custom upholstery, but they seem to have a lot nicer selection than ETI's stock fabric.

Anything else?

Thanks much folks! I appreciate any information so I can learn more about these trailers.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
I spoke to a rep a few years ago(3?) to price a 27.5 fb, they offered to deliver it just across the border and they do the importing paperwork and we could take delivery in the US.
Personally I wouldn't delete the oven we usually use it for light storage, but when you get a desire for baked items it sure is nice to have one! or if you need to warm up something and don't have electric to use the microwave.
Also it helps maintain resale value if you want to sell in the future.
I recommend the front storage pod it is a great storage addition, it is not a low cost option but worth every penny, they have to use a longer frame from the start so it isn't a later add on option.
I think there may be dealers in your state so you might be able to get inside of a new one to see how it feels.
Our first Bigfoot was a 17.5, at times I miss it for getting into tight places, but we really enjoy the space we have now, especially a walk around queen bed and a dry bath.
The 27.5 is heavy about 6500 lbs empty, we had to upgrade to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle to have enough gross combined weight rating for the weight of the truck and trailer combined along with anticipated cargo, fresh water etc.
If a dealer tells you their half ton can tow 10,000 lbs, ask them about payload, that includes passengers cargo and the tongue weight of the trailer, our tongue weight is around 1,100lbs. also get the gross combined weight rating we had a 2003 heavy duty half ton pick up only rated at 14,000 gross combined. it pulled the trailer but weighed 13,600 before cargo and extra passenger etc.
If you are considering a shorter unit this may be a moot point. Best of luck these forums are a great place to learn.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:29 AM   #3

Name: gail
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
purchasing a new Bigfoot

Just purchased a 21 foot Bigfoot trailer this fall. They sell through a small dealer network not the factory. Satisfied with both dealers we visited in BC in their product knowledge and ability to obtain an immediate response from Bigfoot on questions they couldn't answer. If you are at the build list stage the factory seems open to some modifications and we found them open to questions. Website shows the floorplans,options and three interior themes but an email to the factory will get you specific answers to your posted questions.
gail in PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have a Bigfoot Silver Cloud. We have had it a couple of years now. We have not used the oven in all that time, but we do use it to store stuff in. We discussed removing it to replace it with more storage, but it probably will not ever be done. There is that fear that one day, we may need it, just like we did at our house at Thanksgiving. We cooked the turkey in the Instant Pot, but guests brought things that had to be warmed in the oven.

CindyL
Old 12-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Try apache camping center in Everett for Bigfoot.
Email Bigfoot and you will probably receive a response from Grant. He is extremely helpful as I have just discovered since we are probably buying new....with modifications..and probably at no extra charge through the dealer since I will be subtracting items while adding some at the same time. ( can only purchase through a dealer)

I am not sure if Grant would welcome daily tours but we are going there next Monday to speak with him, tour the factory and of course.......visit some wineries!

What size of trailer are you looking for?
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Washington
Thanks folks. Right now I'm happy with the 21' Escape which works well for just me. But at some point the husband will be retired and we want to take longer trips together, which means also bringing the 3 cats along. Not happening in that Escape!

I really like the 25 front bedroom, but I don't like the shorter queen bed. I doubt there's room to add a regular length bed in that model. So, that kind of nixes that model. I rented a motorhome before deciding if we were going the RV route and I was not able to sleep sideways on that RV queen and I didn't get good sleep with my feet hanging over the end. So, a full length bed is mandatory. Dirk is rather disgusting in that he can sleep on anything, anywhere, anytime. Super annoying.

The 25 rear bedroom does have room to add the longer bed after adding some plywood for support. So, that model would be our preference.

However, in the FB, I do like how there's a separate couch and dinette. But, I don't like the way the two sinks are set up as the inside sink was rather awkward to reach. From the limited time I had in looking at both models at Apache in Everett. (They had a used 2018 FB and new 2018 R.

I figure I might as well start my research now. I researched quite a bit before getting the Escape.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
If you cancel the blinds, you might want to keep the valences. I replaced our blinds with day/blackout cellulars-nicer and provide additional insulation. But I attached them to the valence above each window.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
If you cancel the blinds, you might want to keep the valences. I replaced our blinds with day/blackout cellulars-nicer and provide additional insulation. But I attached them to the valence above each window.

Hey Bruce, any chance of a photo or two? We attached the cellular shades to the bottom of the cabinets in our Escape. I've not looked too closely at the Bigfoots with that in mind. But good idea on the valence if there isn't a cabinet over the windows (which there is in the Escape).

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2018, 01:15 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Bigfoot verses Escape

if you live on the west coast in the USA I would think you would try and by from a B.C dealer the reason being the dollar difference verses Canada and the USA. Our dollar in Canada is worth around 68 cents right now so if you think about how much your going to save.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Close, but won't buy you a cigar.
And, the price at a dealer in Canada won't be the same as the price in the U.S.
Prices are over on the right ( in Canadian dollars, I assume ).
https://www.getawayrv.com/bigfoot-rv...e=bigfoot%20rv
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 12.17.01 AM.png  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #11

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hey Bruce, any chance of a photo or two? We attached the cellular shades to the bottom of the cabinets in our Escape. I've not looked too closely at the Bigfoots with that in mind. But good idea on the valence if there isn't a cabinet over the windows (which there is in the Escape).

Thanks!
On our model, rear queen, you could probably find or make a blind mount on all the windows. However, the big front window angles out, so the valence serves to hold the shade in proximity to the angled window rather than dangling as gravity would prefer.
Attached Thumbnails
0625BDC8-C30F-4920-9737-8C18DFE0994C.jpg  
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #12

Washington
Thanks for the photo! They look great and that side valance-thingie will keep the blinds from flopping around. On the 21' I added some velcro to the bottom frame and the window knobs, which helps keep it in place (rear window).

Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #13

Name: Alex
Washington
Registry
Laura,
I’m wondering what you do for the litter-box. I’m thinking a cat door to the wet bath with the litterbox in the bathroom. Then just move the litterbox out when it’s shower time. Have you come up wit something that works well?

Thanks,
Alex
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin A View Post
I spoke to a rep a few years ago(3?) to price a 27.5 fb, they offered to deliver it just across the border and they do the importing paperwork and we could take delivery in the US.
Personally I wouldn't delete the oven we usually use it for light storage, but when you get a desire for baked items it sure is nice to have one! or if you need to warm up something and don't have electric to use the microwave.
Also it helps maintain resale value if you want to sell in the future.
I recommend the front storage pod it is a great storage addition, it is not a low cost option but worth every penny, they have to use a longer frame from the start so it isn't a later add on option.
I think there may be dealers in your state so you might be able to get inside of a new one to see how it feels.
Our first Bigfoot was a 17.5, at times I miss it for getting into tight places, but we really enjoy the space we have now, especially a walk around queen bed and a dry bath.
The 27.5 is heavy about 6500 lbs empty, we had to upgrade to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle to have enough gross combined weight rating for the weight of the truck and trailer combined along with anticipated cargo, fresh water etc.
If a dealer tells you their half ton can tow 10,000 lbs, ask them about payload, that includes passengers cargo and the tongue weight of the trailer, our tongue weight is around 1,100lbs. also get the gross combined weight rating we had a 2003 heavy duty half ton pick up only rated at 14,000 gross combined. it pulled the trailer but weighed 13,600 before cargo and extra passenger etc.
If you are considering a shorter unit this may be a moot point. Best of luck these forums are a great place to learn.
We have been giving serious consideration to purchasing a 25 ft Bigfoot RQ but after running the numbers for GCVWR and payload capacity we came up with the same conclusion , a 3/4 ton truck is required .
Buying a new 3/4 ton truck (diesel) and a new Bigfoot would cost us well in excess of $100,000 which is a lot of money especially when the camping season in our area is only about 4 months long
My wife’s dream is a Bigfoot with a walk around bed along with all the features that are standard equipment. I was most impressed with the build quality and the attention to detail . It was evident that Bigfoot didn’t cut corners in order to save a few pennies IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have been giving serious consideration to purchasing a 25 ft Bigfoot RQ

Go for it Steve.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:03 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Go for it Steve.
Thanks Glenn for your encouragement and advice but we just bought a new 2019 truck so our dreams will have to go on hold for a while longer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #17

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
The Bigfoot 25/27.5 should still be within the OK range for some modern half-ton pickups as well. Going 3/4 ton keeps things simple since most or any configurations/options will do, but a half-ton with the right packages also has enough payload. Especially the newer aluminum-body F150s that can have a payload of over 3000 (!) pounds.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
While Ford does have a high payload truck, it is extremely rare, you really will have to order it. Only comes in a couple of orientations too. People mistake the tow package with the high payload, totally separate.

On my F150, the tongue weight of the 25 foot BF would put me over my truck's rating. Part of the problem is I have a more deluxe model (Lariat) with lots of options. The higher up you go in the product line, the lower the payload.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot