Bigfoot bumper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Bigfoot bumper

Hey guys,

I just thought I would share my recent project. The bumper on my Bigfoot was rotten so I was worried my tire mount might break off one day. Picked up a new 4" square tube and welded it up. I have been thinking about making a BBQ mount on the bumper so while I was at it I welded in a tube at one end that one day might be for that. I also added some braces and mounted stabilzer jacks to them at 45 degree angle to the bumper. I was surprised when I cut the old one off that it wasn't made from a tube but instead was folded from a sheet of steel then welded in several spots. Here are some pictures without the spare tire remounted.
Attached Thumbnails
20190422_135439 (1).jpg   20190418_155108.jpg  

20190418_155120.jpg  
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #2

Registry
Well I got my BBQ mount finished today. New tire cover. I can't decide if the BBQ should stay on while driving or remove it. Right now it is bolted on.
Attached Thumbnails
bbq rack2.jpg   bbq rack.jpg  

Old 05-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I wonder how the BBQ and it's mount will fair after it has been bouncing up and down while on the road traveling.

I have a trailer hitch on the back of my Casita and had a cargo box in it. A friend drove it a short distance and when he pulled in the driveway I noticed just how much the darn thing oscillates. I took it off and hope to never put it back on.

If you decide to keep in mounted have someone pull it over a bump while you watch from the side. Then decide.

You certainly did a great job!
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
If bouncing becomes a problem you could add a folding brace that attaches to the bumper and attaches under the grill on the brace for added support. You did a nice job, looks professional and factory done.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #5

Registry
Bouncing is my main concern. I was thinking of having someone tow it while I follow to see how bad it is. If I remove 4 hex nuts the BBQ comes right off so it's not really a big deal. I just like not having it in the camper. Next up I am running a propane line from under the stove to the back bumper so I have a quick connect for propane. I have already replaced the stock valve on the BBQ that has a built in regulator with one that has no regulator.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

Registry
I thought I would update my bbq mount thread. I ran a low pressure line to the back of my trailer. I pulled the elbow that fed the stove and changed it out for a Tee. The Tee was two 45 deg flares and one 1/4 npt. Put a shut off valve on it with a hose bard and ran a line back close to my BBQ. Ended with a quick connect. In the mean time I found a new valve for the BBQ that didn't have a regulator and got a 10 foot hose with quick connects to go to my new connection point. Tired the bbq and it seems to work well.

Today I had my neighbour tow my trailer around while I followed. Even over some railroad tracks it was solid and didn't bounce. Since I will be leaving it on the swivel mount I ordered a cover today. We will be road testing it on a 7 hour drive this coming weekend.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

Tennessee
Thanks for the update Doug. It is a relief that you checked out the bounce question. You have done a very professional looking job. Now you have me thinking that might be...no... NO, not this year anyway. Wife said no more tinkering, she wants to hit the road.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #8

Registry
Here are the last two pictures. I got a cover for the BBQ since it will live on the bumper now. I will either wrap a couple bungie cords around the cover to hold it on or remove to travel. Also there is a picture of it swung out to show the bar that anchors it to the spare tire. I will put one more picture up when it is in use. That should be this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
20190521_125401.jpg   20190521_125350.jpg  

Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thanks for the update Doug. It is a relief that you checked out the bounce question. You have done a very professional looking job. Now you have me thinking that might be...no... NO, not this year anyway. Wife said no more tinkering, she wants to hit the road.
Thanks Rzrbrn. This was a fun project. Sometimes I am not sure if I prefer more, working on the camper or camping.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #10

Tennessee
Doug tats funny. I just said the exact same thing to someone about 3 hours ago!

I may like working on the Trailer even more than camping. My wife makes me walk up and down the Rocky Mountains...
Old 05-23-2019, 03:36 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Very nice Doug, that brace to the spare sure will take care of any bounce.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot