Ventura fix-up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Ventura fix-up

I've attached a few oics.
The floor was soaking wet.
The plywood was bonded to the fibreglass when built so I could not just rip it off, I had to separate the wood from the fibreglass. I cut some foot long wedges and taped them between the plywood and fibreglass. When enough had separated I cut this off and kept going.
Having compromised the fiberglass floor shell I installed another layer of fiberglass. Then installed new plywood floor. I was going to put the plywood into the wet resin for bonding but decided this was trying to do to much all at once. I then bonded the plywood down with Sikaflex 291. Seems to be a good job.
Also added some ceiling supports. Cut strips 1/8", glued up to 3/4" with a 3/4" arc. This helped out quit a bit.
One reason for doing this was that someone installed the solar panel on the roof.
This trailer does not have enough support for this.
Thats all for now. More later
Attached Thumbnails
ventura 001.jpg   ventura 002.jpg  

Ventura fix-up 006.jpg   ventura 004.jpg  

MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #2

Name: Phil
Manitoba
Looks great! Wish my ceiling framing looked like that! I’m currently rebuilding it all from scratch.

When you put the mat down on the floor did you just lay out the mat and pour the resin over top spreading it around? I’m going to be doing the same thing to the roof of mine after it is framed because of the number of holes present.
philtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

Name: MURRAY
British Columbia (BC)
fiberglass

Phil
I used chop strand mat on the floor.
I built 2 canoes which I used woven strand fiberglass.
With the woven strand you can pour the resin on and squeegee it around.
The chop strand tends to pile up if you sqeegee.
I used a paint brush. I would recommend buying not the cheapest of cheap brushes but a step up tp the amber coloured bristle ones.
You should also get a fiberglass roller to roll out the bubbles.
I ma not a techy when it comes to type of fiberglass to use other than I was told that when strength is needed you should put on one chop strane and one woven. Ask your supplier.
Watch also how much catalyst you use. There is a fine line using a little extra for faster curring which also makes the end product a little more brittle.
Good luck
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
nice job

murray your are doing a great job! I never heard of a fiberglass roller learn something new every day it seems!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura