Why a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
Why a Scamp?

Hello; new to this forum. We've been thinking about a small camp trailer for a while but I've had it with storage lots. My previous truck camper got broken into and my car twice when I left it at the lot. Also, many articles advise keeping your RV inside or at least covered for best longevity. And our HOA doesn't allow RV's parked outside (which I'm good with). When I realized that our house has 8 ft garage doors I wondered if a trailer would fit. All my reading suggested that most molded fiberglass trailers are comparable with different pros and cons, but generally good quality (not going to argue brands here...). What sold us on the Scamp 16' Deluxe with front bath was that it doesn't exceed 7' 10" tall AND is 6' 2" interior height; and I'm just over 6'. The comparable Casita is 5'10" and the Escapes are too tall.

The idea of having the camper here in the garage and able to roll it out and prepare it or work on it any time is way more important to us than the brand if the quality is acceptable.

We are scheduled for delivery late this year and looking forward to hitting the road. Happy travels!
mm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Welcome to the forum(s), Mike!
(from another Scamp 16 Deluxe owner .... [emoji6] )

If you don’t mind my asking, what month is your delivery date?

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Can't wait to see your 16' Deluxe once it's built.

Did you buy it fully loaded? Or did you decide some options weren't needed for your type of camping? Just curious.

I have a 16' Deluxe as well, birch wood and layout #4. I bought it used, so I didn't get to pick the options, but luckily it had a lot of them!
Old 07-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
8 foot doors are not 8ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2670 View Post
What sold us on the Scamp 16' Deluxe with front bath was that it doesn't exceed 7' 10" tall AND is 6' 2" interior height; and I'm just over 6'. The comparable Casita is 5'10" and the Escapes are too tall.
My door is 7' 11" and the Scamp is not 7'10" with air or Tv antenna .
Attached Thumbnails
Door1.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #5

Colorado Springs
Scamp 16 deluxe

We were quoted to get it in December but hoping they can pull it up.

No A/C or tv antenna, but having the bracing and wiring for the A/C put in in case we want to add later. Our door is a bit over 7' 11"; I'll let a little air out of the tires if needed to roll it in. Nick at Scamp assures me it's not over 7' 11"; I told him I'd be very upset if it is....

It's pretty much loaded with the lighter colored birch; front bath with side dinette, bigger frig, group 27 battery, two propane tanks, extra fresh water tank, microwave, awning (geez $$).

Assuming no wreck I'm thinking that being stored inside and with good maintenance it should have good resale if/when we decide we're done with camping.

Mike
Old 07-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Resale

Quote:
Assuming no wreck I'm thinking that being stored inside and with good maintenance it should have good resale if/when we decide we're done with camping.
Mike
At this time twenty year old well maintained Scamps are selling for their original purchase price. There are just not a lot of them on the road. I put on over 400 miles in Wisconsin today, met a LOT of RVs, but NO Scamps.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #7

California
Registry
Quote:
It's pretty much loaded with the lighter colored birch; front bath with side dinette, bigger frig, group 27 battery, two propane tanks, extra fresh water tank, microwave, awning (geez $$).
Sounds amazing and as mentioned before they hold their value well.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:12 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We got the Layout A (side bathroom) with a free swap of front sofa/bunks in place of the usual front dinette. We got ours in oak.

We also got ours braced and wired for a top-mounted AC but, since we found that we so infrequently use AC (maybe 5% of our trips), we did not install the top mounted AC. When we really need AC, we mount a Frigidaire 5000 BTU in the back slider window. In other recent threads, I posted a Google Drive link with pix of our AC mount and (in some recent thread) many pix of our entire trailer.

We picked up our earlier 2014 Scamp 13 (with the 54" bed) in the middle of October and our current 2017 Scamp 16 Layout A in mid-February. In both cases, we had to come south quite a way (Des Moines in October) before we could find an open campground (Minnesota campgrounds were all closed and had blown out their water lines .... even the bathrooms/showers were closed).

If you come as far south as Kansas City (before heading west on I-70)
maybe we could meet up with you for a meal and a peek at your new
Scamp?

Best of luck to you!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Sounds amazing and as mentioned before they hold their value well.

Of course we ignore the fact that $8,000 thirty years ago was worth a whole lot more than $8,000 today.

But, that's OK. It makes us feel better.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #10

Name: Adam
New Hampshire
Quote:
No A/C or tv antenna, but having the bracing and wiring for the A/C put in in case we want to add later. Our door is a bit over 7' 11"; I'll let a little air out of the tires if needed to roll it in. Nick at Scamp assures me it's not over 7' 11"; I told him I'd be very upset if it is....
I got my 2001 Scamp 16 Standard (NO A/C) into my barn this winter and had to go below 92" to get it through the door. I had to air down the tires to get it in but it went. Just barely cleared the exhaust/escape hatch on top, but I can confirm that it will fit.

I am fine with no A/C on ours given our climate but do with that we had one of those roof mounted exhaust fans to help draw more fresh air in on warmer nights.
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
True!
Old 07-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #12

Colorado Springs
Sky the therapy and trick dog.

Try:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCez...UkPCT8IUf2eEQA

to see his tricks!
Old 07-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Of course we ignore the fact that $8,000 thirty years ago was worth a whole lot more than $8,000 today.

I finally get your avatar Glenn! You're the prince that when kissed turns into a frog!

Yeah, I agree with you on this one. I've had to run some numbers through an inflation calculator to show some people that they are paying less for gas now in real dollars than people were in the 1950's.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I finally get your avatar Glenn! You're the prince that when kissed turns into a frog!

Not a frog - a TOAD.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #15

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Not a frog - a TOAD.
OMG! I am so sorry, I meant no offense to toads.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #16

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
That was fantastic! I watched all of them. I love dogs, that made my day!!!

--Harold
Attached Thumbnails
Greatest Gift - Dog.jpg  
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:56 PM   #17

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:

I agree. So what does the equivalent new trailer sell for today? I'll bet a bit more than $8,000. I went to an inflation calculator and put in $8,000 in 1990, and it said with inflation that would now be $15,779.46 (Cumulative rate of inflation = 97.2%).

And getting $8,000 in today's inflated dollars is still way better than $6,000, or $4,000, or even less.....

I was paying 25-cents a gallon for gas in 1970, and the inflation calculator said I should be paying $1.66 now (Cumulative rate of inflation = 564.4%) Unfortunately here in Redding, California, gasbuddy.com says the cheapest gas I'll find is $2.68 a gallon.

Yah, I was feeling better before looking at any of those numbers.

--Harold
Old 07-26-2020, 12:00 AM   #18

You want to get really depressed, look up a gallon of gas and a gallon of water ( which in 1970 came from the tap ).
Old 07-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #19

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
You want to get really depressed, look up a gallon of gas and a gallon of water ( which in 1970 came from the tap ).
Maybe I will when I'm feeling better and can take the shock.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #20

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Welcome to the Forum. You will get alot of good advise here. You can't go wrong with a SCAMP. I own a 5th wheel 19 footer and love it.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp