SCAMP SCAM? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
SCAMP SCAM?

Everybody loves a Scamp. Maybe even the scammers. Attached is a screen shot of a Scamp "for sale" in North Dakota. It's a great price and it has some equipment that I wasn't aware that Scamps even had. Power mirrors. Restored transmission. 165 pounds. Should be a breeze to pull.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Scam 2020-07-24 at 8.44.58 AM.jpg  
RonHalvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Many red flags here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHalvorson View Post
Everybody loves a Scamp. Maybe even the scammers. Attached is a screen shot of a Scamp "for sale" in North Dakota. It's a great price and it has some equipment that I wasn't aware that Scamps even had. Power mirrors. Restored transmission. 165 pounds. Should be a breeze to pull.
Also, text in the picture is against the rules. Flag it. They do that so you cannot search the phone number. I'll bet it needs an OIL CHANGE also.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Scamp Scam?

My previous registration, before we moved from VT to CO, said: Type of vehicle: SCAM. Whenever I had to look at it at the time of renewing, I had to chuckle. Obviously they have only four spaces on the form.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Also, text in the picture is against the rules. Flag it. They do that so you cannot search the phone number. .

How does that prevent a search of the phone number?
Old 07-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It prevents searching the text by program. I often search the email addresses when they are in the body, just to flag them when bored and looking for something to do.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
There is a flood of this scam on craigslist today 7-27-20. I just counted eight in my area and "nearby" areas. All of them advertising prices under $2,000. There were about 20 ads in Central US craigslist ads yesterday. I didn't check the whole nation.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
It must be that time of year already

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHalvorson View Post
It’s that time of the year. It will be starting soon. Scamp scams galore! So maybe it’s time to post this again. HOW TO SPOT A SCAM AD! The phone number is hookerized, or posted as part of the picture, when decoded it is a Google forwarding service with an out of state area code. It has poor English or grammar, or the dollar sign is after the price. The house in the background has the wrong architecture, (Northern Wisconsin houses do not have tile roofs). Vegetation is all wrong (there are no palm trees in northern Minnesota). Ad has no interior pictures, or the described floor plan is not same as pictures. Local posters would know that the map shows the Scamp in the middle of the lake. The price is too good to be true. Open the cover picture and do a Google search of the image, it may show you where the picture came from and the real asking price. Craig’s list has a space to give title status, if the seller cannot prove ownership TURN AND RUN! When in doubt, ask here, we can pick any ad apart.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
But! I want one like that!

Especially want those power mirrors.
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
There is a flood of this scam on craigslist today 7-27-20. I just counted eight in my area and "nearby" areas. All of them advertising prices under $2,000. There were about 20 ads in Central US craigslist ads yesterday. I didn't check the whole nation.
Keep in mind that 99% of the time these ads are placed by people in other continents. And they post in many Craigslist regions.. yours is not unique.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #10

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Seems legit.

I wonder if they'll take my 145 pound, 350 hp, manual transmission, hardtail campeer Scump in trade?

Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp