Scamp Weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Jules
Trailer: Scamp 13
New York
Scamp Weight

Hi All, I had previously posted about realizing my 2014 Subaru Forester was only capable of towing 1500 pounds, and wondering about how much my 13' Scamp actually weighed. I called Scamp headquarters, and the salesperson assured me that my Scamp would weigh-in around 1350, so I should be fine. We brought our Scamp to be weighed last weekend, and she clocked in at 1680. We have the original paperwork, and I believe it says the weight is 1100. I just don't understand why Scamp does not provide accurate weights for their campers. This is more a frustration than a question, but anyone has a good answer, please feel free to chime in. We have the model with the front bathroom, and no additional weighty items like awning or ac. Looking to switch to an Outback, which as a 2700 towing capacity. Still love my Scamp and looking forward to getting back on the road with her!
ninelimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Which Weight?

Yes, weights can be the source of much miscommunication and misunderstanding.

Dry weight is the base weight of a trailer model before options, fluids, gear, and supplies. That's what appears in product specs, but it is far below what any real-world trailer weighs.

Unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) is the empty, as-built weight of your trailer with all permanent-affixed options and modifications. It does not include propane, water, gear, or supplies. Unlike some manufacturers, Scamp does not weigh each trailer as it leaves the factory.

Gross vehicle weight (GVW) is the fully loaded weight including everything you take camping with you in the trailer right down to the last marshmallow. Some people carry more marshmallows than others, so GVWs are quite variable, even from one trip to the next.

I suspect Scamp gave you an estimated UVW and you got a loaded GVW. Just guessing.

What year and model is your Scamp? I don't know where the 1100# came from, but it sounds like an older base dry weight with not much more than the shell and cabinets, no appliances (with Scamp almost everything is an option). Newer 13’ Scamps have a base dry weight of 1250#. Like some of us, Scamps have gained a few pounds over the decades: glass rear window, OSB floor, sturdier frame, taller shell...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Heavy Scamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelimes View Post
Hi All, I had previously posted about realizing my 2014 Subaru Forester was only capable of towing 1500 pounds, and wondering about how much my 13' Scamp actually weighed. I called Scamp headquarters, and the salesperson assured me that my Scamp would weigh-in around 1350, so I should be fine. We brought our Scamp to be weighed last weekend, and she clocked in at 1680.
My 16' was 500+ lbs over the shipping weight on the paperwork (DRY).
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #4

New York
Thanks for all of the info. My Scamp is a 2011, and from the different types of weights you describe, we weighed her UVW.... We didn't have anything like water or camping gear but the propane tank was attached. With a lot of crossover and smaller suv's lowering their towing weights, I really think it would be a good idea for Scamp to post accurate weights for trailers as they leave the showroom.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:14 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Scamp Weight

Almost 1700# UVW is pretty heavy. Do you have a fully optioned wet bath model?

I agree Scamp could do a better job of communicating weights. Last time I looked at the online specs they do give the dry weights as a range rather than a single number. That’s a change from ten years ago. In a perfect world there would be a configurator with the base dry weight of each model and the weight of every option available.

It’s not a perfect world, and it’s an industry-wide issue, not just a Scamp problem.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

New York
Smile

Our bathroom has the marine toilet and a shower. Not sure if that's considered fully optioned, but I can't imagine what else could fit in there.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Scamp Weight

“Fully optioned” would also include common stand-alone options- furnace, A/C, awning, rear receiver, and dual LP tanks- in addition to the bathroom package (which already includes the water heater, fridge, upper cabinets, and battery).

As to the bathroom itself, I think you can add a sink in there, but the weight is pretty minimal. I was really only enumerating the heavier options.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
I firmly believe everyone should obtain a CERTIFIED weight receipt from a scale when buying a camper. I see ads All the time, including on this site, claiming weight at 800-1000 pounds, and the statement “can be pulled by any car.”
My boler, without water in the tank, two full propane tanks, and only the basics inside, weighed 1360 last week when I weighed it for title. It does have a wood cabinet and countertop rather than the original fiberglass.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #9

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp tail tails

Quote:
Hi All, I had previously posted about realizing my 2014 Subaru Forester was only capable of towing 1500 pounds, and wondering about how much my 13' Scamp actually weighed. I called Scamp headquarters, and the salesperson assured me that my Scamp would weigh-in around 1350, so I should be fine. We brought our Scamp to be weighed last weekend, and she clocked in at 1680. We have the original paperwork, and I believe it says the weight is 1100. !

The two big Scamp lies are the R value of the walls and the weight. My paper work gave a shipping weight that was 1750 lbs. but was really 2360. Now after mods, and loaded for camping (with hobby equipment) it is over 3000.
Attached Thumbnails
SCALE 2017 paste.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Scamp Weight

Last time I looked, 1750# was the base dry weight for the 16’ers, meaning layout 3 with no options. I think it’s safe to say not a single trailer has left the factory at that weight!

Agree about the R-values, but that’s another topic that has been thoroughly discussed before.

The whole RV industry is largely unregulated and unsupervised.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Last time I looked, 1750# was the base dry weight for the 16’ers, meaning layout 3 with no options. I think it’s safe to say not a single trailer has left the factory at that weight!

That may well be true, but only because it's unlikely anybody has ordered the trailer without any options ( or battery ). Base dry weight would still be base dry weight because, by definition, base dry weight is without any fluids or options.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all of the info. My Scamp is a 2011, and from the different types of weights you describe, we weighed her UVW.... We didn't have anything like water or camping gear but the propane tank was attached. With a lot of crossover and smaller suv's lowering their towing weights, I really think it would be a good idea for Scamp to post accurate weights for trailers as they leave the showroom.
Generally I think the trend is just the opposite. My 2010 Element had a 1,500 pound tow rating. Subaru Forrester rating has been 1500 for years. Recently Subaru increased the tow rating of the Outback.

F-150’s tow ratings have been on a steady climb up.

Whether sellers and manufacturers have a tendency to list low trailer weights, actual real world weights are readily available.

And vehicle tow ratings are readily available. Buyers interested in a small SUV with a good tow rating won’t buy an Element or a Forrester either. Apparently, buyers of small SUVs are not clamoring for better tow ratings, otherwise manufacturers would address it. And as mentioned, the new Outback can be had with up to 3.500 pound tow rating and the Ascent up to 5,000 pounds tow rating. Meanwhile, the Forrester is still at just 1,500 pounds.

I recall the video interview with Toyota's chief engineer for trucks. He was asked about design decisions that made the Tacoma not as suitable for towing, like the rear drum brakes. His answer: "If someone wants to tow, we recommend the Tundra."
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That may well be true, but only because it's unlikely anybody has ordered the trailer without any options ( or battery ). Base dry weight would still be base dry weight because, by definition, base dry weight is without any fluids or options.
I was addressing Kenneth’s comment that the “shipping weight” of his well-equipped deluxe 16’er was listed as 1750# on paperwork provided by Scamp. Shipping weight should be the actual UVW of the trailer as it leaves the factory, not the base dry weight.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

New York
I don't think many people who are shopping for a their first camper would know to look for Real World Weights, but would rather rely on the weight provided by the manufacturer. That's what I did, and not having any experience before with campers, I even called Scamp to double-check the weight. Honestly, there is such a learning curve to all aspects of this camper that I never would have imagined - I just watched all of the videos provided by Scamp and thought I was in good shape. Thank goodness for this forum and all of great information that people share.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... Honestly, there is such a learning curve to all aspects of this camper that I never would have imagined - I just watched all of the videos provided by Scamp and thought I was in good shape. ...
Its not just Scamps, its all trailer and campers. In fact I will suggest that the learning curve applies to most everything in life. If you want to avoid mistakes and have the most success then you must do research. And that also means not accepting all of your information from one source. The Internet has made this much easier as the information is usually available, but it wont come to you on its own. Seek and ye shall find. Learn and ye shall prosper. There is no free lunch but there are some great blue plate specials
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The problem with the internet is that there is also much misinformation and that it gets picked up and repeated by others who don't know better.

You need to research the source as well as the information.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #17

Name: Bill
Arizona
Scamp weight

After towing various teardrops and such with Foresters and Outbacks of various iterations, we finally settled on a turbo Outback rated at 3500#. This gives you all the margin of error you might need for towing small, fiberglass RVs.
William Deak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #18

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
really appreciate this topic, and all the information from the group, ThankYou. My situation and experience similar to OP, ended up going from a 2020 Forester to a 2020 Outback for the greater towing capacity. We had been up to Backus to look at the 20+ finished campers waiting for their pick-up, and leaning toward a 13 with bathroom, I called our sales contact there Shawn Oliver, and he went over to the factory, and they weighed 2 trailers that were finished, that were similar to what we want:
Light Option One: Plan 1 with bunk bed, No AC, no awning, 1 propane, small battery=190#tongue, 1532#total weight.
Option two: Plan 2 with shower/toilet, No AC, but about everything else: has awning, has furnace, 1 propane, small battery= 235# tongue, 1628# total weight.
So: the weights are available, they are known by Scamp, but even some of their staff may give you vague or misleading info.
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #19

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
oh, further: we decided not to wait, bought a 2003 13' used, from a friendly couple in Ottertail MN, and tongue weight less than 100 pounds with one battery and 1 empty propane tank, will be towing it soon with the broke-in Outback, will then get it weighed and let the Forum know. Thanks again to all those that share their knowledge.
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
oh, further: we decided not to wait, bought a 2003 13' used, from a friendly couple in Ottertail MN, and tongue weight less than 100 pounds with one battery and 1 empty propane tank, will be towing it soon with the broke-in Outback, will then get it weighed and let the Forum know. Thanks again to all those that share their knowledge.
I hope you'll post the weights in the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread and/or message the information to member Jon Vermilye who manages the spreadsheet linked in post #297.

Tags
scamp, weight