1988 Bigfoot TF-20 named Gladys - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #141

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
No need to reply about vent removal. I found some good videos!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #142

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
reply on vent replacement

Kevin: I looked at the instructions from the manufacturer and it seemed very much like the escape hatch so I just went ahead and tried to do it. After I removed the lower screen, the cover just slid out of the groove. The old cover had a tang that had been bent to act as a retaining clip, but it sure didn't retain anything. Popped it out and slid the new one back in, easy peasy!

Sorry for the late reply...
Old 06-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #143

Kentucky
Registry
Ceiling light repair help needed...

First: I'm having a problem with Gladys' ceiling lights on the passenger side of the cabin. Those lights on that side have stopped working. I've used a multimeter to test for electricity and it seems that there isn't any along that side. This issue includes the oven hood/light and I'm thinking that the lights for the vent fan/oven hood are wired on the same leg and that somewhere there is a "break" in that circuit leaving the entire side out. The outside light on the entry handle is out also and that used to work, even though we never used it.

Second: There is a light at the top of the entry stairs in the main cabin the holds two bulbs controlled by a three position switch. First switch position is all off, second switch position is one bulb lit and third switch position is both bulbs lit. BUT, when I turn on the first bulb everything is fine However, when I turn on the second bulb and then the first bulb is reduced to 50% brightness and the second bulb may come on or may not. I have to remove both bulbs, turn the switch off and reinsert the bulbs to get either bulb to work again. I've attempted switching bulbs to other bulbs I know work correctly in an attempt to eliminate the issue but it doesn't matter what bulbs I use or if I use the multimeter; the sockets go dead. I've pulled the fixture and all connections look good and solid. The only thing that I can think is that the switch is failing' because everything else looks good.

MAIN PROBLEM: I don't speak "electrical" Ohms and resistance and all that crap so my searching on YouTube for assistance has been impeded by my inability to decipher what the hell they're talking about. I don't understand how to check continuity or that other crap to test the switch.

So, I'm stuck on the idea that I should replace the switch or fixture to see if that fixes the problem. I could simple loose wire a temporary fixture in place to test my theory, if I had one, which I don't.

Last: I'd like to replace all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs to cut battery drain and lower operating temperature of the fixtures. Some of the lenses of the light fixtures are showing a little age like they don't like getting so hot from the old bulbs. I wonder if anyone has any recommendations about LED bulbs for a camper/trailer.

Sorry for the long post that almost sounds winey but this issue has been in my hair for over 12 months and I've been avoiding it. It makes me a little crouchy.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #144

Kentucky
Registry
I'm going to check the primary grounding wire as recommended by Jim; corrosion or poor connection may be the culprit. However, I'll be looking at some replacement led fixtures from Amazon to upgrade all the 12v lights to LED for better lighting.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #145

Kentucky
Registry
New lights have arrived

The LED lights ordered from Amazon have arrived and I installed one of them this weekend while we were camping. It was very easy and works very well; like the "light of day" at the top of the entrance stairway. Not too bright but since we've been without any real light there it seems very bright now. The two way switch works well and lights the main part of the cabin as well as the stairs for entry/exit. Looking forward to working out the kinks in the remaining lights.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #146

Kentucky
Registry
I picked up some more wiring connectors for the new LEDs that'll go in this week. I have plans to pull each fixture to check on wiring buggaboo. My plan is to begin at each fixture and work my way back to the charge controller, looking for loose or bad connections.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #147

Kentucky
Registry
Thinking that it may be time for us to make a change

Laura and I have been talking about the possibility of selling Gladys.

I retired last year, during the pandemic, and we spent quite a few days and nights in Gladys camping at the family farm. Climbing into the upper berth has begun to wear on my body so we're looking at alternatives.

No actual decision has been made yet, but I wanted to put this out there on our personal thread because I know that quite a few of y'all follow Gladys' evolution and might like to know the what and why of things.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #148

Name: juan
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Laura and I have been talking about the possibility of selling Gladys.

I retired last year, during the pandemic, and we spent quite a few days and nights in Gladys camping at the family farm. Climbing into the upper berth has begun to wear on my body so we're looking at alternatives.

No actual decision has been made yet, but I wanted to put this out there on our personal thread because I know that quite a few of y'all follow Gladys' evolution and might like to know the what and why of things.
Best of luck. Blessings.
pachewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #149

Kentucky
Registry
We’re selling

After careful consideration we’ve decided to sell Gladys. An official advertisement will be forthcoming but we’re going to carefully write a detailed listing including reference to this thread.

Once we sell we’ll begin shopping in earnest for a replacement.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #150

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Once again someone will be getting a wonderful trailer that's been lavished with care. Best wishes to the two of you as you move forward in your journey!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:33 AM   #151

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Once again someone will be getting a wonderful trailer that's been lavished with care. Best wishes to the two of you as you move forward in your journey!
Thank you Jon
Old 07-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #152

Kentucky
Registry
new lights installed

All the LEDs have been installed and I have managed to repair the switch at the bathroom door too. The only lights not LED are the reading lights in the sleeping area and the exhaust hood light.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #153

Kentucky
Registry
Gladys is formally for sale

Ad placed in the marketplace now
Old 07-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #154

Kentucky
Registry
issue with the light resolved

Turns out that we'd blown the line fuse from the battery. Replaced and all the new lights are working great.

I'm so glad for the excellent advice and help in this forum. I don't have time to make all the mistakes that are possible because of my lack of skills so I'm glad that others are here to guide me and share the wisdom of their knowledge from mistakes they've made to stop me from the same errors. Awesome to be here!
Old 08-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #155

Kentucky
Registry
We're keeping Gladys

We've had another discussion and decided that we're going to keep Gladys for the foreseeable future. Now that I've completed the updating on the lights, Laura has begun repainting the inside of Gladys to freshen the interior. I'm also shopping around for a new countertop and replace the old sink hardware with a bar faucet. I've seen custom order countertops that were returned to Lowes that were for sale at extreme discounts so I'm watching the returns rack.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #156

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
We've had another discussion and decided that we're going to keep Gladys for the foreseeable future. Now that I've completed the updating on the lights, Laura has begun repainting the inside of Gladys to freshen the interior. I'm also shopping around for a new countertop and replace the old sink hardware with a bar faucet. I've seen custom order countertops that were returned to Lowes that were for sale at extreme discounts so I'm watching the returns rack.

Darn I was going to buy it! I love the bigfoot.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:22 AM   #157

Kentucky
Registry
For Sale Again, price reduced

We have made a down payment on a new Grand Design RV and are selling Gladys. We have reduced the price to $12,000 and are looking forward to our new adventures.

I have reactivated our add and will be placing an ad on FB in the BigFoot sale group as well.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #158

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Bill and Laura,

Congratulations on the Grand Design! What floor plan did you get? I am fairly familiar with their lineup. My brother bought one as well as my exsister-in-law (very close friend). My retired Dean is selling their Vintage Cruiser to buy a larger Grand Design.

LOL, what will you do with a new RV that will not need major renovations?

I am sure Gladys will find a new home.

Take care,

Dean and Laura
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:48 AM   #159

Kentucky
Registry
Dean,

We've chosen the Imagine XLS 22MLE. The actual size is only one foot longer than Gladys but the added floor space of the single slide creates a lot more square feet inside and the bed in on the same level so no more climbing into the "tree house." I turned 65 this year and the steps into the bedroom have become more problematic. We're pretty excited.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #160

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Bill,

Great floor plan. My brother/wife and another couple we know bought GDs at the same time. They love their GD Imagines. It will be a lot of space and a functional floor plan for Laura and you. Congrats! Much Happy Camping!!!

Take care,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot