LED's in my Bigfoot 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2004 17ft CB 1500 Bigfoot
British Columbia
LED's in my Bigfoot 17

Hi FRB travelers, Need some understanding here and could use your help. I changed all the bulbs in the interior of my Bf to LED bulbs ad added two reading lights to the circuit under the storage units. Now when I plug in my 120 AC from Bf to to the GFI on the house, it triggers the breaker in the GFI and shuts off. I get a brief flash in the Bf from the newly installed very small Led reading lights just before the GFI breaker clicks off. Any ideas??? With thanks, trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Try dis connecting the reading lights and see if it still happens.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Good idea Steve. Remove the thing that you changed and see if it fixes the problem. Also consider leaving the new lights wired as they are and removing the bulbs to see if that changes anything. If not, then disconnect the newly wired reading lights and try again. Just my $.02
Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I would say its reading a ground fault you could try reversing the two wires that make up the new reading lights as the positive/ negative are not matched. What else is on that circuit ? Do you have a ground wire on the new reading lights.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks guys, I have isolated the circuit with the new LED reading lights. Still pops the breaker in my house GFI. My house receptacle circuit is 15 and 20 amps. Could the 30 amp circuit in the Bigfoot pop the GFI house breaker, even with no current draw from Bigfoot? It appeared to have worked fine when plugged into my garage GFI before I moved it to the house. I know enough just enough to be dangerous!! Help........ trapper
Old 06-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
not sure I understand how 12V DC LED lighting could be affecting a 120VAC ground fault interrupter.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #7

British Columbia
Smile LED in my Bigfoot

Yes John, I agree, that has been my confusion. Now believe that the fault is in the GFI. So will go to a regular 110 receptacle and do think my issues will be solved. Thanks all for your input. Cheers, trapper
Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Yes John, I agree, that has been my confusion. Now believe that the fault is in the GFI. So will go to a regular 110 receptacle and do think my issues will be solved. Thanks all for your input. Cheers, trapper

GFCI outlets can be tripped by long cords laying on the ground. Not common but has happened before. One other thing that can trip them but odds are you do not have is a hot chassis. But it is something to check.You could try another GFCI outlet or better yet if you have a tick tester or can borrow one do what is show in this link.
https://rvtravel.com/how-to-test-for...in-on-your-rv/
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #9

British Columbia
Smile LED

Problem found as you guys suggested. It was the GFI. Plugged into a regular receptacle in the house and all is well. Since the two circuits AC and DC are separate it was not clear how adding two small led's two a three light circuit would pop a GFI. Now I know just a little bit more about my new to me Bigfoot. Thanks trapper

Tags
bigfoot